Does van experience count as 'commercial driving' exp?

Hey all,

Passed my Class 2 recently (3rd time!), looking for a job, I see ads saying things like ‘essential: 2 years commercial driving’

I’ve not got any! My question is: Would driving a delivery van count as ‘commercial driving exp’? Or are they only looking for LGV commercial driving exp? (Or does it depend on the employer)

I ask cos there are van delivery jobs about that I could take.

Thank you

Often means they want to see that you have held the licence category for 2 years

Do not let that put you off - personally hand over your CV to the TM and have your work gear in the boot

It’s gotta depend on the employer, but grab any driving experience you can. Earn a few quid, get experience in reading other road users, get to know a bit about how goods in/out do or don’t work; get to show you are a punctual worker…
Little to lose.

I’d just define it as commercial experience and mention you have been driving a van on delivery work so there’s no confusion.

What’s the worst that’ll happen when they get your application?
Throw it in the bin and not call you for interview.
But If you don’t apply because you’re worried about a definitions of experience you don’t stand a chance of the job.

Doesn’t hurt to try, I never had the “essential experience” for when I got my first class 1 job and still got an assessment and then the job.

Were you paid to drive that van ? If so, that is commercial driving experience ! That is their problem if they didn’t define what they think commercial driving is - A CV would clear up any confusion for them anyway.

I understand you’ve also moved a neighbour/mate’s old horsebox around too? Non-Commercially ofcourse, just as favours

You’re going to need to stretch, not break the truth a little to get your first Class 2 driving job.

Good Luck !