Does this mean no TIR?

I’ve just been reading about Turkey joining the EFTA. Do we just load and go now like we do in the rest of Europe?

The Common Transit procedure is used for the movement of goods between the 27 EU Member States and the EFTA countries (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland). The convention was extended to Croatia on 1 July 2012 and to Turkey on 1 December 2012. This brought the total up to 32 countries. Common Transit is based on the Convention of 20 May 1987 on a CT procedure. The rules are effectively identical to those of CT.

I doubt it. Cant see the happy jovial agents missing out. You still need to clear which in theory should be easier but in practise everything stays the same.

A carnet TIR is a document that allows cargo to transit a country within the TIR convention without having to pay any duty to that country, that is all it does.

So, as you are crossing EU countries to get to Turkey, unless you drop down from Russia or one of its former colonies, you would not need the benefits of TIR anyway.

HTH :wink:

He means ATR

zaax:
He means ATR

Whats ATR??
Have heard of AETR but not ATR.

Ok, let me simplify it. Does Turkey joining the EFTA mean no more customs clearance? No more T forms? No more TIR plates etc?
Do we no longer have to go to dover customs for the paperwork?
They won’t be part of Schengen, so we’ll have to flash the passport, or has nothing changed?

Would say if its same system as Switzerland you will still need to clear and you will still need papers from Dover. Will ask agents next time i go in.

Ben9:

zaax:
He means ATR

Whats ATR??

ATR Carnet is used for the temporay import of goods,& believe me it is usually a total PIA,most customs officers have no idea what should be done with it.

Examples: Exhibition Goods, Equipement for Gigs, Trade Fair Goods.

Dave.

Ben9:
Would say if its same system as Switzerland you will still need to clear and you will still need papers from Dover. Will ask agents next time i go in.

It’ll be handy to know. Thanks.

davemackie:

Ben9:

zaax:
He means ATR

Whats ATR??

ATR Carnet is used for the temporay import of goods,& believe me it is usually a total PIA,most customs officers have no idea what should be done with it.

Examples: Exhibition Goods, Equipement for Gigs, Trade Fair Goods.

Dave.

Thought that was ATA■■?.
Must admit whenever ive used ATA it always been Norway who just stamp it and in you go.

This might interest some of you.
efta.int/free-trade/fta-map.aspx

You are correct, it is an ATA carnet for temporary importation of goods, and they can be a right pain. Funnily enough, I found Norway to be the easiest too.

limeyphil:
Ok, let me simplify it. Does Turkey joining the EFTA mean no more customs clearance?

No, it does not.

milodon:

limeyphil:
Ok, let me simplify it. Does Turkey joining the EFTA mean no more customs clearance?

No, it does not.

Does it simplify anything? Or is it just hot air creating jobs for the boys?

On more than one occasion I’d have an ATA Carnet for an exhibition piece or a demonstration unit that was part of a groupage load out of Basel, CH for the UK and the agent would always instruct me not to get the French to stamp it at St.Louis and just go straight to Dover with it and on more than one occasion I’d arrive at Dover with said ATA Carnet and UK Customs would exlaim “Where is the French stamp?! You’ll be here for a while now because you havent done that!” and there I’d sit for several hours. Also had a similar problem going in to Swiss with one when the carnet said 9 pieces but I only had 8 as they’d left the last piece off to follow later. I’d let my company know and they said to just carry on. Upon arriving at the agent’s office in Weil am Rhein, the agent had an almighty Germanic sense of humour failure and hurled the paperwork back across the room at me while shouting things at me that I’m glad I didn’t understand.

If a truck now loads in the UK for Istanbul, would that load even need a TIR Carnet now if an all EU route was taken to the Turkish border? Would the load just not go on a T Form from Dover to Kapitan Andreevo and then formally clear in to Turkey at that point? I have no idea as I’ve never done anything remotely that exotic.

For London to Istanbul last year I was loading, clear Dover, on T-form to Kapitan Andreevo, T form ends. Enter Turkey, get a transit doc to Istanbul customs (usually Halkali). Clear.

So yes its very possible on Tform its a lot easier and swifter on TIR.

limeyphil:
Does it simplify anything? Or is it just hot air creating jobs for the boys?

you’ll still have the customs on the border but quite possibly that’s the only place you have to do the paperwork - straight to the drop after that. the customs procedures will probably be much simpler and quicker as well, eg norway and switzerland