Does such a thing exist?

Would be grateful if someone could tell me if there is such a thing as a Sat Nav with built in speed trap detector that detects all types of radar, to suit a Car or LGV?
I assume it would have to have a switchable power supply between 12v and 24v?

You can certainly download a database of speed camera locations,but they are GPS based,and only tell you the location of a camera,not if they are ‘live’ or not.

I have it on my Navman,and even if there is no longer a camera there,because it’s not been recorded as removed,it does tend to slow you down a bit.

Ken.

if you look on e-bay you might find some of the old radar detectors, but i think they where made illegal to sell and use in the UK this year.

most pna’s (personal navigation devices ) will be able to warn you of a speed camera for example s already mentioned nearly all the NAvman range will do this as will all the tomtom, garmin, mio and medion ranges the key is whether or not they will take custom poi’s (points of interest) though these databases will only warn you if a camera is there mobiles may not be there all the time but I would say 95% minimum of mobile sites are in there. click the link in my signiture if you need any more info .

just as a final note if you want tdaily updates and can do it at home everyday have a look at the road angel navigator the routing is terriible but I think it has the capability to have a laser detector fitted but it only tell you you’ve been done

I have only used a “detector” once - that was in a company car I borrowed, the ■■■■ thing was so annoying that I would rather stick to the speed limit.

G

How were it if “you” would do the Job? :laughing:

The GPS based speed detectors are the best solution now as most police forces use newer laser speed guns rather than the old radar ones and the laser detectors only work line of sight and if it detects it you have probably already been caught or only have a second or two to react as the christmas party fund collector gets his aim in.

I have an S6 NEO with all the extras used to be great as it was the first GPS based speed detector with an add on for Radar and Laser it now just sits gathering dust as I just use the camera database on my TomTom used to get to many false positives on the radar/laser thing on the NEO.

Road Angel do the Navigator which has the Speed Camera’s locations pre prgrammed into it. I have one and they are pretty good and accurate. Onoy problem is if its not updated regularly then it bleeps at old camera sites where cameras used to be.

is there a POI file for wilkinson (wilko) stores?

road angel navigator is a sat nav and has gps speed cams and a laser detecter.

they were proved legal in our courts as they dont interfere with the laser, jammers/blockers etc are illegal warners are not.

BUT they are illegal in a lot of europe eg france

alix776:
most pna’s (personal navigation devices ) will be able to warn you of a speed camera for example s already mentioned nearly all the NAvman range will do this as will all the tomtom, garmin, mio

sorry Alix, the mio 268+ does not warn you of ANY potential saftey camera device

scottbrown:
road angel navigator is a sat nav and has gps speed cams and a laser detecter.

they were proved legal in our courts as they dont interfere with the laser, jammers/blockers etc are illegal warners are not.

BUT they are illegal in a lot of europe eg france

As i understood it they introduced a new law to make them illegal. The ‘being proven legal’ you mean would be when they used to do people under the wireless and telegraphy act, which was proved to be wrong. Now they are illegal as they wrote a specific legislation to make the use of speed camera ‘detection’ devices illegal. Hence if you look in the shops you will have a job to find one :wink:

Manager:

alix776:
most pna’s (personal navigation devices ) will be able to warn you of a speed camera for example s already mentioned nearly all the NAvman range will do this as will all the tomtom, garmin, mio

sorry Alix, the mio 268+ does not warn you of ANY potential saftey camera device

I think Alix meant that it will if you load the camera database files into it. I think nearly all SatNav units, recent ones anyway, can have POI files loaded onto them.

peirre:
is there a POI file for wilkinson (wilko) stores?

I was talking to a lad in Asda a couple of weeks ago who had bought a disk on ebay that had POI files for nearly every major store chain in the country, he had all the Asda, Sainsbury’s and Tesco stores on his SatNav. Not sure if Wilkinsons were on the disk but might be worth a search of ebay.

the new medions will have a look at poi warners home page i think the 268 will if loaded wil poi warner too

bought a disk on ebay

I’m sure i’ve seen them for free download somewhere :laughing: