does it count??

been driving long distance now for 8 years class two, done all uk and both rep of ire and northern,the channell isles so on so on. ive taken my class one test recently and passed first time. i need to know when i apply for a job (which i am currently doing) does my experience count?? or will i be pushed down to the bottom of the pile and classed as a newbie? im in employment now but my gaffer is not interested in going in to arctics and i really need to move on. does anybody know of any jobs being advertised in the manchester areas that would employ me in this current possition?

im afraid experience means in the relevant class of vehicle,although if there was a situation where there was someone with no experience on rigids aswell as class1 and yourself then you would have the advantage due to what youve done.

Maybe go for a firm that has rigids and artics, start on a rigid ,do a good job and they may well give you a shot at the artics.

It’s an ironic catch 22 but the guvnors seperate everything concerning experience so you’ll probably find that whatever you were doing on class 2 class won’t count with class 1 and the same can also apply concerning different types of work versus different types of truck.So someone who’s only done a lot of local/uk with an artic can find it just as difficult if they want to get onto better work as someone who’s only done a lot of long distance uk or international with a class 2.In general most employers want a lot of experience relevant to both the type of truck and the type of work it’s being used on.

thanks for the info, its hard isnt it, trying to break in to class one i thought it woukd be a breeze. ill just keep on trying and hope to get the break, after all everyone has had to start somwhere

it is not so much the gaffers seperating the experience, it is the insurance companies

i put a driver who was qualified as a C+E driver with a restriction for W+D only, i paid to put him through his full C+E licence, but the insurance company stated that he had no experience, even though he had been driving W+D’s for years :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

p3ppa:
thanks for the info, its hard isnt it, trying to break in to class one i thought it woukd be a breeze. ill just keep on trying and hope to get the break, after all everyone has had to start somwhere

Give it time you will get the break

shuttlespanker:
it is not so much the gaffers seperating the experience, it is the insurance companies

i put a driver who was qualified as a C+E driver with a restriction for W+D only, i paid to put him through his full C+E licence, but the insurance company stated that he had no experience, even though he had been driving W+D’s for years :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve never bought that argument because if you go for being an owner driver from day 1 the insurance companies never ask that type of question differentiating truck types or work experience so why would it be any different for an employer :question: .

p3ppa:

Just like I did and stayed there on uk night trunking for 15 years because no one would give me a break for a change.But it could have been worse as there’s plenty of local/multi drop zb work for class 1 and surprise surprise that’s the type of jobs where the experience thing can get overlooked by the guvnors when it suits them. :imp: :imp:

Carryfast:
It’s an ironic catch 22 but the guvnors seperate everything concerning experience so you’ll probably find that whatever you were doing on class 2 class won’t count with class 1 and the same can also apply concerning different types of work versus different types of truck.

I know - I’ll probably struggle to get back onto the artics IF the time comes as coach driving doesnt count :unamused:
That sai, Ive been to more places and been further in this job than I did driving artics :confused:

shuttlespanker:

You learn something new everyday… I really didn’t know there was a difference between Wagon + Drag and C+E…

I’ve done both, but passed on an artic. Not something I ever thought about really.

theyre both c+e but some people can drive w+d on grandfather rights therfore not giving them the c+e entitlement…

There are companies that will take on inexperienced drivers full stop, because they want it done the way in which they train you from the start…I have spoken to a driver this week who told me his company are doing this.
Personally, I passed my C+E last July, on a Monday, started the job on the Wednesday…Been there ever since, I know that they checked out the insurance before they employed me as they told me. Turned out I was insured, but not for negligence on my part, just have to be careful and not take any chances…I still drive as though I am on my test, and thus far has been OK. I have seen drivers made redundant this year, I am still there.

p3ppa:
been driving long distance now for 8 years class two, done all uk and both rep of ire and northern,the channell isles so on so on. ive taken my class one test recently and passed first time. i need to know when i apply for a job (which i am currently doing) does my experience count?? or will i be pushed down to the bottom of the pile and classed as a newbie? im in employment now but my gaffer is not interested in going in to arctics and i really need to move on. does anybody know of any jobs being advertised in the manchester areas that would employ me in this current possition?

Do you enjoy your current job? I left a good job when I got my HGV many moons ago cos I got itchy feet and wanted to get on the big 'uns. As far as my working career goes that was probably the worst move I ever made. If I’d been patient I would have joined the list at my old job and waited to get on the heavies when an opening came up but oh no not me! Ten years of misery followed but I wouldn’t leave it because I was so stubborn and spent those years going toe to toe with the gaffers on a regular basis. I knew within three weeks I’d ■■■■■■ up and should have got in touch with my old gaffer or moved on. The grass isn’t always greener!

Edit to add-you could just sit in your current job for the next two years and get your “experience” that way and in the meantime your gaffer might be persuaded to get an artic in!

[Do you enjoy your current job?

I did enjoy my current job up to the last twelve months or so,things just seem to be put on me more these days cause im so bloody reliable,as i say i have been there 8 years,i hardly have time off do countless stupid hours as most of us do anyway,but the job is getting so repetative.i really need to change so i thought class one would be the way forward and slightly more money,but cant get on anywhere.
oh and by waiting another two years he might get an artic…i dont think so…a bit too tight to invest and it will mean he will have to change his ops licence at an extra cost… holidays seem to be the main priority to him…