Does anyone work for ford in Southampton?

Hi i heard that ford car transporters is nights out in a hotel, does any one know?

You still not found that golden goose yet? :open_mouth:

Ha ha how you doin pal? No been on tippers for a year got class 1 booked in August so searching at the moment for a gooden don’t mind nights out but need to be mon to Friday days. I’m thinking of maritime in Southampton but not sure

Are you aware that the Ford factory in Eastleigh has closed mate?
So I’m not entirely sure what work you are asking about…

As for Maritime, I think they require a fair bit of experience…
Best past your test first mate, best of luck! :smiley:

At one time to get a job on Fords Transport Division it was only if you took over from your Dad or Grandad,if its still the same today you have a better chance of tea with the Queen

Been told last time fords took any drivers on was 9 years ago, and they don’t stay in hotels but many of there drives have told me there night out money is £100 a night (I still question if this is true) and the average wage is a tad on the ridiculous side of 85k a year (again I still question this but considering every car transporter driver I have spoke to for the last 3 years have all said this whether they work for fords or someone else)

So basically I’m trying to find a time machine :wink:

I work for Fords down southampton docks moved there when the transit plant closed. Currently working as a driver moving cars to load lanes etc. Waiting for jobs to be advertised internally for transport drivers soon to be 8 more positions available. My understanding is that they can use the night out money for a hotel if they want but most save it and use the cab.

I know a few drivers that work out of Southampton Docks. They did at one time get put up in hotels on nights out but now they get just over £100 for a night out instead.

This is a different world and is highly unionised and their pay has come about over years of renegotiations etc. They are by far the highest paid drivers in the country and long may it continue for them. To get in there though - well not a chance in hell.

I see the Ford guys running out Southampton docks.
Also in Dagnhem.

I don’t think you get anywhere near ford unless your doing internal transfer to logistics or transporters.

The reason there wages are so good is they have had steady inflation for the past 20 years when everyone else’s wages have stayed stagnant.

Normal transporter drivers are on 45k roughly a year but have been on those wages for 20 years stagnant.
Where as ford’s have had steady inflation over 20 years with heavy unions.

Ford at Dagenham is 50k basic for a mon-fri 45 hr week. Don’t know what their ot rate is. The night out money on transport is in the region of £200 as it’s not in their contract. Don’t know what transporter drivers get paid for nights out as it’s part of their contract. They take on through word of mouth. Someone inside the company needs to put you forward. My mate went for a job as his cousin works there. 2 jobs and 300 applicants. Not bad without paying for an advert

OVLOV JAY:
Ford at Dagenham is 50k basic for a mon-fri 45 hr week. Don’t know what their ot rate is. The night out money on transport is in the region of £200 as it’s not in their contract. Don’t know what transporter drivers get paid for nights out as it’s part of their contract. They take on through word of mouth. Someone inside the company needs to put you forward. My mate went for a job as his cousin works there. 2 jobs and 300 applicants. Not bad without paying for an advert

I bet their drivers don’t hit bridges, bang trucks, turn up scruffy, leave the trucks in a mess, ■■■■ off customers…etc. Amazing how good the drivers are when you pay decent wages!

Captain Caveman 76:

OVLOV JAY:

I bet their drivers don’t hit bridges, bang trucks, turn up scruffy, leave the trucks in a mess, ■■■■ off customers…etc. Amazing how good the drivers are when you pay decent wages!

You also tend to find that with most of the transport companies.
The one that seem to have the most damage and problems are the companies pushing drivers.
It’s almost inevitable in transporter work if your getting pushed and tearing around your going do alot of damage.

OVLOV JAY:
2 jobs and 300 applicants. Not bad without paying for an advert

I think spending money elsewhere adding value, would be more accurate! :smiley:

lolipop:
At one time to get a job on Fords Transport Division it was only if you took over from your Dad or Grandad,if its still the same today you have a better chance of tea with the Queen

When I passed my class one back in the late 80’s I fancied the car transporters and some ‘Old Hand’ quoted similar words to yours, adding “You’re too young and inexperienced Son”… I wish I hadn’t listened to him and just went after the job at the start of my driving career, rather than ending up, as I did, on transporters 20+ years later!

Then, I was gobsmacked to see a guy from the office trained up, passed his HGV 1 on Friday and was out driving a fully loaded car transporter on Monday… prior to this he’d NO experience, and in fact, had NEVER driven a truck in his life!

Sometimes it’s WHO you know NOT what you know!

PS. I’d love to get on Fords now… but would settle for a job with BCA! Anyone work for them or have the inside info?

Well I got class 1 test in August thinking about changing jobs tippers is getting boring and money is average, loads of tight places and flat out all day. I want to do 48-55 and get a grand ha ha lol. hopefully getting class 1 will get me up there but down here all firms seem to just pay 500 a week for 60 hours but I get about 420. Is car transporting good pay and what’s it like loading etc I don’t like driving behind them as I think the car is going to fall off the back.

Digit369:
Well I got class 1 test in August thinking about changing jobs tippers is getting boring and money is average, loads of tight places and flat out all day. I want to do 48-55 and get a grand ha ha lol. hopefully getting class 1 will get me up there but down here all firms seem to just pay 500 a week for 60 hours but I get about 420. Is car transporting good pay and what’s it like loading etc I don’t like driving behind them as I think the car is going to fall off the back.

OK mate

It’s not an job you can pick up in a few weeks.
It will take you at least 6 months before your at a decent speed and comfortable putting loads on.

Make sure you get a job with decent company that’s going provide you with a couple of weeks good training package.

Never rush.
It will get loaded and get there as long as it takes you to do it.

Once up to speed your about a 900-1000 a week.
You will be doing 60hrs a week out 4 nights a week thou.

If I was you I would do another type of class 1 driving for roughly a year before taking on a transporter but it’s up to u.
The job it’s self is very stressful even if you are an experienced driver.
So if your a new driver and new to transporting the job will be twice as stressful. Which belive me you really don’t need.
Remember a transporter runs most days at 16ft or just under. Over 10ft longer than an arctic depending on your load.
It makes a big difference to just normal driving parking and manoeuvring.

The loading and unload loading can be very stressful depending on where your doing it.
It makes a big difference loading or tipping on a busy road.
It’s not as bad on port side or in a yard.

]

Robspils:
]

Ford cars wrecked after transporter became wedged under low bridge | Daily Mail Online

I’m just gonna sit in the corner and face the wall now. Anyone got a pointy hat?