Does anyone remember Danish Bacon or Ess-Foods?

Yes I have got quite a few photo’s I will put some more on.

Here’s some more Danish pictures

The bottom two pictures are of drivers and lorries going to Esbjerg to collect trailers as DFDS where on strike.

Iron horse:
Hi Michael hope you are keeping well. As i rememder your dad well and many a pint we had in the old club with all the old drivers from Danish Bacon,i drove for P&O roadways and parkup at east gates. Well Michael it me David’s Dad

Hello mate,Bob isnt it? Yeah they were some good times in that club !

Peter Rowell:
Hi Micheal Davies

I knew your dad well, in the late 60’s I started working for Anglo Danish Food Transport when they had just started collecting containers from Harwich with only 4-6 Leyland Albion’s. The depot was in Elmstead Market where I lived and I got a job with them as a “Grease Monkey” I was 15 at the time. When they moved to East Gates Colchester the first real depot, I became a App/Mechainc and by the time the 2nd depot was started in the same estate, I was a fulltime mechanic. An old timer from SEXTON Transport days (Joe Martin) helped in the workshop and he taught me to drive. I remember a lot of the drivers that worked out of Colchester at one point,there must have been at lease 30. In 1976, I went to Australia to live, and when I went back in 1991 Anglo Danish Food transport had finished and the deopt was taken over by the Post Office.
“Fond Memories”
Peter Rowell

Thanks for that info,i had some great times out with Ted in the school holidays! Sadly he is gone now,i also lost a Brother,and since ive started this thread
Many years ago ive had treatment for the Big C myself!
You are correct the yard is now owned by the Post Office,i always look at the yard from the train into Colchester town,the big old tree’s are still by the river
though!
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this subject and im loving the pics! Regards Michael.

Hi this is my first post so here goes.My late father Ted Davies from Colchester Essex drove for Danish Bacon and later Ess Foods.They were based at East Gates in Colchester,he would go to Harwich to collect his trailers off the ferrys from Denmark,then take them all over England.I think they also had another yard in Grimsby? I remember his last lorry was a Scania 111 sleeper cab and the truck looked longer than some of the little box trailers it pulled,it also pulled 30 & 40 foots.If anybody remembers anything about this firm i would love to hear from them and to see some picture’s i would be amazed.
Thanks.Michael J.Davies.

I dont have any photos but remember the trailers coming into Grimsby and Immingham, they were certainly good fun to practice reversing with being only about 18 feet long :stuck_out_tongue:

My mum got a job in the transport office at Danish Bacon (DBC) when they ran the short wheelbase grey Bedfords from Selby.

Do you remember Plumrose? my mate used to get 10 or 12 drops every day from the Goole warehouse with a flat,

ropes and sheeting at every drop

MichaelJ:
Hi this is my first post so here goes.My late father Ted Davies from Colchester Essex drove for Danish Bacon and later Ess Foods.They were based at East Gates in Colchester,he would go to Harwich to collect his trailers off the ferrys from Denmark,then take them all over England.I think they also had another yard in Grimsby? I remember his last lorry was a Scania 111 sleeper cab and the truck looked longer than some of the little box trailers it pulled,it also pulled 30 & 40 foots.If anybody remembers anything about this firm i would love to hear from them and to see some picture’s i would be amazed.
Thanks.Michael J.Davies.

Welcome Michael, yes they did have a depot in Grimsby, in the 60’s they had a lot of AEC Mercurys, as you said pulling very small single axle trailers. I used to haul bacon and butter off The Royal Dock at Grimsby, the bacon would be a whole pig wrapped in Hessian, the butter would be in kegs, we would load them onto the wooden deck and then sheet them up. You might have upto 10 or twenty drops at Cooperative Society shops all over the country.
regards Big Al

Thanks boys for the replys i wasn’t expecting anything so quick!! a guy off “Youtube” told me to have a look on this site,and so far im very impressed!!
To be honest with you i spent most of my school summer hols with him in his truck,we used to take a different mate from the estate we lived on for a ride,on most days! It used to be great,i remember on one occasion we had a night drop of at Smithfields market,i think we got back to Colchester around 5am,when i told my school mates where i had been that night,they were amazed,i was tired though!!
I seem to remember the trucks they used were,AEC,Leyland,ERF.Seddon Atkinson,and Scania.

Im sorry i dont remember Plumrose ? Thats right i do remember the half pigs and big slabs of the stuff on metal trays?
The butter was Lurpak?

MichaelJ:
Im sorry i dont remember Plumrose ? Thats right i do remember the half pigs and big slabs of the stuff on metal trays?
The butter was Lurpak?

Plumrose was similar to SPAM and DANA. The tinned meat came into Goole from Denmark

Wheel Nut:

MichaelJ:
The butter was Lurpak?

Plumrose was similar to SPAM and DANA. The tinned meat came into Goole from Denmark

If I remember correctly it used to come to Leeds from Goole into British Waterways,I used to deliver it around Leeds in early 70s.I THINK!! :wink: Joe.

I worked for Danish Bacon for a couple of months in the early 90’s, from their Brighouse depot, doing about 30 drops a day arond Leeds in a W, reg Leyland Boxer, what a machine that was !!! i’d just come off a nearly new DAF 95 space cab on tramping work, just had a nipper so needed to be nearer home…
As for Plumrose, most of there distribution work was given to Bibby’s at there Leeds depot. Containers used to come in , on a daily basis from Grimsby, pulled by red and white F88’S , F10’S and Scania 112’s , all from E ,HANDCOCK, & son ,Grimsby, are they still going ■■?

Jerry

jerry truckartist:
I worked for Danish Bacon for a couple of months in the early 90’s, from their Brighouse depot, doing about 30 drops a day arond Leeds in a W, reg Leyland Boxer, what a machine that was !!! i’d just come off a nearly new DAF 95 space cab on tramping work, just had a nipper so needed to be nearer home…
As for Plumrose, most of there distribution work was given to Bibby’s at there Leeds depot. Containers used to come in , on a daily basis from Grimsby, pulled by red and white F88’S , F10’S and Scania 112’s , all from E ,HANDCOCK, & son ,Grimsby, are they still going ■■?

Jerry

Handcocks are, not sure about Plumrose. The warehouse was called H.O.H in Goole. I think it was Harris Oughtred and Harrison.

Handcocks pull DHL Sweden trailers out of our yard in Hilton

jerry truckartist:

Jerry

Handcocks still going got about 20 trucks mainly white scanias,based at Stillingborough near Immingham. Containers they was pulling was for DFDS.
I used to go to Bibbys Yeadon back in the mid 90`s with Plumrose stuff and they was on 20ft flats.
Yes plumrose still going and we take it now to TNT.
As for Danish Bacon, DFDS took over it all . I can remember them trailers with folding legs!!!. My dad subs for DFDS (now DSV) and when he started it was all flatbed work like Big Al said bacon in hessian and butter in kegs.

il ask daddy lol :laughing:

I worked for Danish Bacon for 5 years in the 90’sfrom their Brentwood depot doing 25-30 drops a day in the city and West end.Lots of barrow work lots of stairs if anything certainly kept you fit.That was in a 14ton Leyland .Sadly the depots gone now and relocated in Chelmsford and i understand that Woodwards have now taken over DBC.I’ll try and dig a couple of snaps out.

I remember that depot in Brentwood its very close to the A12?

MichaelJ:
I remember that depot in Brentwood its very close to the A12?

Thats right Tallon Rd Hutton .The offices are still there but the warehouse is flat now.We used to do our own smoking there too and like you I had many a 2.00 start first drop Smithfield.Had a Side of smoked Bacon nicked off the tailboard in Dagenham once while I was delivering to a Butchers.That took a bit of explaining to the boss!!! When I first started in 96 I had a c reg Boxer that done 45 flat out.What a truck .

Nice one!! I can see my dad now taking a hulking great bit of bacon from the back of the trailer wrapping it up and hidding it in his cab!!!
There was always big chunks of Bacon in our kitchen boiling away !!
I loved the stuff!!