Does anyone remember Danish Bacon or Ess-Foods?

MichaelJ:
Hi this is my first post so here goes.My late father Ted Davies from Colchester Essex drove for Danish Bacon and later Ess Foods.They were based at East Gates in Colchester,he would go to Harwich to collect his trailers off the ferrys from Denmark,then take them all over England.I think they also had another yard in Grimsby? I remember his last lorry was a Scania 111 sleeper cab and the truck looked longer than some of the little box trailers it pulled,it also pulled 30 & 40 foots.If anybody remembers anything about this firm i would love to hear from them and to see some picture’s i would be amazed.
Thanks.Michael J.Davies.

have a look at anglo danish thread

bumper:
they also had a depot at north shields docks, did the scotch from there,closed it down in the 80ty :sunglasses: :unamused: bumper

Aye Bumper the depot is still there on Cobbledene, Its up for sale at the moment, Its stood empty since the DBC Moved out, Regards Larry.

They used to have a depot in Yate near Bristol. An old mate of mine called Gordon Mutton (honest-mutton/bacon) used to drive for them. We both used to do a north devon run on a thursday/friday which usually involved a night out in Barnstaple. Lets just say i will NEVER forget those nights out in Barnstaple. Luckily i was the younger one and was able to get up earlier and therefore was able to get to the cash & carry first in the morning to nick all the good pallets from the yard for delivery to hambrook pallets on theway home!!

allan henrickson:

MichaelJ:
Hi this is my first post so here goes.My late father Ted Davies from Colchester Essex drove for Danish Bacon and later Ess Foods.They were based at East Gates in Colchester,he would go to Harwich to collect his trailers off the ferrys from Denmark,then take them all over England.I think they also had another yard in Grimsby? I remember his last lorry was a Scania 111 sleeper cab and the truck looked longer than some of the little box trailers it pulled,it also pulled 30 & 40 foots.If anybody remembers anything about this firm i would love to hear from them and to see some picture’s i would be amazed.
Thanks.Michael J.Davies.

Are you on there with your Scania Al?

Wheel Nut:

allan henrickson:

MichaelJ:
Thanks.Michael J.Davies.

Are you on there with your Scania Al?

yes malc got some photos of seddons & scanias with danish trailers on will get round to putting them on

plumrose used to come into carlsberg at goole willmotts did the transport then tony williams later on

I remember Danish Bacon artics running across the M62 in the `70s ,AEC Mandators with 20 ft trailers or am i imagining it ,long time ago and i was quite young at the time, any pics anyone ?

Hi Michael hope you are keeping well. As i rememder your dad well and many a pint we had in the old club with all the old drivers from Danish Bacon,i drove for P&O roadways and parkup at east gates. Well Michael it me David’s Dad

When I first started driving in the 50s, Danish bacon came into the Tyne every Monday, The DBC Had an office in Newcastle, Their Rep was a chap called Alf Cowan, Baxters Road Services that I worked for along with Jakey Adams, Rankins did the long distance traffic, Manchester, Liverpool, Preston, Blackpool, Southport, Chester, Oswestrey, Plus some of the local stuff, It was all handball in those days, I recall Baxter saying it was £2.00.a ton for one drop then a bit extra for 10 drops, The old DBC Building is now in disrepair & has notices to say keep out dangerous building, I remember when it all changed to the 20ft containers Masden Warehouse,s had a tractor unit with forks fitted so as to off load the trays of bacon at delivery points with no means of lifting them out of the box, I wonder where the bacon comes in now,■■?, Anyone know, Regards Larry.

Rob Campbell:
I worked for Danish Bacon for 5 years in the 90’sfrom their Brentwood depot doing 25-30 drops a day in the city and West end.Lots of barrow work lots of stairs if anything certainly kept you fit.That was in a 14ton Leyland .Sadly the depots gone now and relocated in Chelmsford and i understand that Woodwards have now taken over DBC.I’ll try and dig a couple of snaps out.

Did you work with Anthony Boniface ■■?

Iron horse:
Hi Michael hope you are keeping well. As i rememder your dad well and many a pint we had in the old club with all the old drivers from Danish Bacon,i drove for P&O roadways and parkup at east gates. Well Michael it me David’s Dad

. I remember the one that used to come to Barrow in Furness it was a bull nosed Bedford but it was dark blue/ black in colour also it was a flat with triangle fram front & back steel bar running back to front with sheet drapped down the fram it came from Liverpool

Hi all , First time on here so anything might happen . I used to work in the garage for Fosters at Langworth ,they used to do a fair bit of work for Anglo Danish , we had a few F86 volvos and the little bacon carts were ideal behind them . You had to be very careful coupling up ,the landing legs wound up as normal but also they folded up backwards as well . It could easily ruin the rear light lenses etc , I think a lot of the customers used the trailers as storage ( they had electric fridges ) so usually it was leave the trailer and bring the empty one back . They were a good crowd at Grimsby their workshop would always help us if they could and we did the same for them if we were able to . We used to do a lot of Lurpack butter boxes as well , the drivers used to like that job , it was Anglo Danish work . Regards Geoff

JLS Driver SOS:

Rob Campbell:
I worked for Danish Bacon for 5 years in the 90’sfrom their Brentwood depot doing 25-30 drops a day in the city and West end.Lots of barrow work lots of stairs if anything certainly kept you fit.That was in a 14ton Leyland .Sadly the depots gone now and relocated in Chelmsford and i understand that Woodwards have now taken over DBC.I’ll try and dig a couple of snaps out.

Did you work with Anthony Boniface ■■?

Yes I worked with Tony. He took me out on my first day to learn but couldn’t keep up with his F1 pace !! as it was job and knock back then . He had been there years and was there till the end I believe but certainly dodged a few bullets in his time doing various scams.

Here’s a couple of pics from the Grimsby Fleet and one of the Danish fleet in Esjberg, I have more if you want to see them?

An Esjberg Leyland

The ERF had an International engine, if you was pulling out into traffic you needed plenty of room as the turbo didn’t kick in until about 12mph by which time you were changing up from 3rd low!

ESS-FOODS..jpg

My mate Dennis drove this one.

Some more photos would be great thank you . We used to look after a S /A 300 with that International DT 466 ? engine in it , it was a 4 wheeler ex Kellogs curtainsider , used to go like the clappers and was fairly reliable , unlike the tractor engine in the S / A 200 !! Regards Geoff

Big Al:

MichaelJ:
Thanks.Michael J.Davies.

Welcome Michael, yes they did have a depot in Grimsby, in the 60’s they had a lot of AEC Mercurys, as you said pulling very small single axle trailers. I used to haul bacon and butter off The Royal Dock at Grimsby, the bacon would be a whole pig wrapped in Hessian, the butter would be in kegs, we would load them onto the wooden deck and then sheet them up. You might have upto 10 or twenty drops at Cooperative Society shops all over the country.
regards Big Al

Hello Big Al delivered many a load of said sides of bacon in sacking,heavy , smelly and juicy,Irish bacon when i drove for N.I.T. Preston ,delivered to many Danish bacon depots,just used to flop the bale onto the chaps shoulders,probably some law against it now.
cheers ardennes

TOMMY BROWNS OLD GUY:
Here’s a couple of pics from the Grimsby Fleet and one of the Danish fleet in Esjberg, I have more if you want to see them?

An Esjberg Leyland

The ERF had an International engine, if you was pulling out into traffic you needed plenty of room as the turbo didn’t kick in until about 12mph by which time you were changing up from 3rd low!

My mate Dennis drove this one.

would that be dennis newcome

TOMMY BROWNS OLD GUY:

An Esjberg Leyland

Ah yes, one of Esbjergs 500 system Leyand super comets wonder why Gingerfolds book stated the final models were the low datum ergo versions ? as they were very many high cab Super comets ! English trailer Also !

Hello boys, Never worked for Danish Bacon just to let you know they had a depot in London SW19 next door to where Triang toys and prams were made. It was called the Deer Park Ind Estate. Hope you find this useful.Dave.