Does anyone know my Grandad?

Hi folks,

Just wanted to post I have recently commenced on my path towards C+E. Wanted to post on this site as a matter of interest just too say if anyone can remember or has heard of my grandads’s old haulage company, well he was a subbie really, D.J Munn Transport worked mainly for Vitafoam Nr Manchester if you do know of him please reply, he is the whole reason I am going down the trucking path I feel its in my blood.

Cheers

So what’s his name then JayLNix?

hi mate is name is derek munn, he use to keep his wagon at fox’s yard in smallthorne

The name does ring a distant bell,but it’s going back a few years,when are we talking about?

Hi JayLNix, I worked for Vitafoam/Blue Dart Transport three times between 1973 and 1980 ( I always believed in leaving on a clean sheet, you never knew that one day you might want to go back ).
Did D.J. MUNN Transport have a maroon livery with cream sign writing?
The memories are fading a bit on this one but I seem to remember a Bedford T.K. furniture type van loading in the late 70s at Vitafoam in Middleton but I don’t think that I ever spoke to the driver. :confused:
Blue Dart did have a depot at Newcastle-under-Lyme, I worked there for three months doing tyres out of the Mich, the transport manager was a guy called Albert Wain and he was a cracking bloke to work for. I can’t remember if Lex Tillitsons or Beeches were in the same yard.

I’ll be honest I only remember as far back as I can and I know he has been self employed for at least 22 years (since I was born) I only remember him running a Silver Volvo F7 with red sign writing on B743 VUG and then a DAF day cab in Blue with gold writing.

Would be good if someone could remember him, it will make his day when I tell him.

Cheers

Ask your Grandad if he remembers Cliff Poulter, I worked with Cliff for a few years starting in 1973 and he ended up being the transport manager for Vitafoam at Middleton.

JayLNix:
Hi folks,

Just wanted to post I have recently commenced on my path towards C+E. Wanted to post on this site as a matter of interest just too say if anyone can remember or has heard of my grandads’s old haulage company, well he was a subbie really, D.J Munn Transport worked mainly for Vitafoam Nr Manchester if you do know of him please reply, he is the whole reason I am going down the trucking path I feel its in my blood.

Cheers

I don’t know anything about your Grandad i’m afraid but i’m pleased to see a young lad coming into the industry who has it in their blood, good luck mate, you’ll be moaning like a ■■■■■■■ soon but you’ll probably (hopefully) love every minute :laughing:

newmercman:

JayLNix:
Hi folks,

Cheers

I don’t know anything about your Grandad i’m afraid but i’m pleased to see a young lad coming into the industry who has it in their blood, good luck mate, you’ll be moaning like a [zb] soon but you’ll probably (hopefully) love every minute :laughing:

they should make moaning part of the test 30minute non stop winge or you fail :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:

JayLNix:
Hi folks,

Cheers

I don’t know anything about your Grandad i’m afraid but i’m pleased to see a young lad coming into the industry who has it in their blood, good luck mate, you’ll be moaning like a [zb] soon but you’ll probably (hopefully) love every minute :laughing:

As a new lad coming into the haulage business, let me give 3 pieces of advice.

1. Work for the best company you can, keep yourself, and your motor ,clean and tidy, keep within the law, and enjoy it.
  2. Take a camera with you, snap everything you can related to the trucks you drive, and the job in general. It will be something to look back on later .
  3. Get out by the time your 40 years old. If you don’t you’ll still be driving at 65, and you really don’t want that. You’ll be amazed what else you are able to do, if you put your mind to it.

I hope that a lot of the other older guys on here will read this and offer you additional advice, you may not want to take any of it now, but bear it all in mind. These guys have been there, done it, know what they’re talking about.
Good luck !

Fergie

Fergie47:
3) Get out by the time your 40 years old. If you don’t you’ll still be driving at 65, and you really don’t want that. You’ll be amazed what else you are able to do, if you put your mind to it.

Ha, ha! I got out exactly at that age, became a TM, went back to it again at 54 then retired at 60. :laughing:
Still get a hankering now and again though. :unamused: :laughing:

I’m sure someone will come up with a connection for your Grandad soon Jay. :wink:

I can remember seeing the name whilst driving on Gen haulage.
We used to go all over the UK that was when i started out 30yrs ago…
Did G/H for about 15 /16 yrs then went on the agency to work round wife and kids other to that cant really say much more