Does anyone check their wheels?

…to this extent?
twitter.com/dvsaenforcement/sta … 85728?s=21

Should be a standard part of your walkaround checks to make sure nothing is loose. Companies should have a calibrated torque wrench available, & drivers should get a TBT on how to use it.
I’ve never had a wheel nut come loose under normal circumstances, I’m betting this one wasn’t retorqued after a wheel removal, and that’s why it was loose.

stu675:
…to this extent?
twitter.com/dvsaenforcement/sta … 85728?s=21

How many wheels do you see with rust stains like that?
I ll have a bet that it was clicking and clunking on the bends too.

I don`t myself, but do know someone who habitually taps the wheel nuts with a small hammer.
It does work: loose ones sound different.

Edit…might not be so obvious in a dry summer I guess!

I check every morning the plastic torque indicators are facing each other., but I certainly don’t walk around with a torque wrench every morning.
As said, the rust ‘stain’ would be a giveaway to anybody who would be bothered to check it.
I’ve flashed at guys in the past , ( :laughing: ) to make them pull over to tell them their wheels are ‘hammering’ as they overtook me…if they can be bothered to check their mirrors :unamused: and pull in that is.

^^^^^^^^^
This

Checked with torque wrench on service and then daily check on the plastic indicators and for signs of rust streaks.

You’ll rue the day you didn’t check 'em, especially if you’re an owner driver. If the Ministry pull you in for a random check and there’s one loose, they keep their claws in you for a long time :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
You’ll rue the day you didn’t check 'em, especially if you’re an owner driver. If the Ministry pull you in for a random check and there’s one loose, they keep their claws in you for a long time :wink:

The ministry old chap, keep up your showing your age, they are DVSA nowadays and are all fine upstanding chaps not interested in relieving you of your hard earnt shillings they are there to educate you on the error of your ways

What is the significance of rust stains?

I am quite accustomed to seeing rusty wheels.

stu675:

The rust stains arent evenly spread. It isnt fool proof but rust stains off the nuts often shown a loose wheel. The slight movement lets steel/rust dust wash out with a bit of rain.
Not definitive, but a good hint to check it.

Franglais:

stu675:

The rust stains arent evenly spread. It isnt fool proof but rust stains off the nuts often shown a loose wheel. The slight movement lets steel/rust dust wash out with a bit of rain.
Not definitive, but a good hint to check it.

Thanks [emoji106]

I put plenty of gear oil on my studs & nuts .

On a side note…has anybody else had any experience of this type of wheel rim set up?

I had a Fiat with them,.they were a pain in the arse for keeping tight, I have memories of a night out at ‘Ackers and Jarret’’ the Walsall Fiat and Iveco agent after it coming loose (are they still there?) the garage foreman and me got ■■■■■■ out on the town that night :smiley: ,…and I spent all next day there!! (Last bit for the benefit of Adam on here. :laughing:)

robroy:
On a side note…has anybody else had any experience of this type of wheel rim set up?

I had a Fiat with them,.they were a pain in the arse for keeping tight, I have memories of a night out at ‘Ackers and Jarret’’ the Walsall Fiat and Iveco agent after it coming loose (are they still there?) the garage foreman and me got ■■■■■■ out on the town that night :smiley: ,…and I spent all next day there!! (Last bit for the benefit of Adam on here. :laughing:)

Yes trilex wheels a pain to get straight if you didn’t tighten them up in the right order but a lot lighter to change than a conventional rim

Punchy Dan:
I put plenty of gear oil on my studs & nuts .

I bet that keeps the ladies away. :laughing:

That looks like a secondary rim.I remember when I was on aYTS scheme for HGV mechanics,they told me that rim can blow loose if its not removed corre tly and if hits you,youre ■■■■■■

justpassing:

robroy:

Yes trilex wheels a pain to get straight if you didn’t tighten them up in the right order but a lot lighter to change than a conventional rim

It’s not a Trilex, it’s a simpler spider rim.

Sploom:
That looks like a secondary rim.I remember when I was on aYTS scheme for HGV mechanics,they told me that rim can blow loose if its not removed corre tly and if hits you,youre [zb]

The wheel is centred/aligned with wedges under each nut, these are what can go off like a bullet.
The correct procedure is to undo the nut until it is flush with the end of the stud, then hit the wedge with a hammer to loosen it.

I make sure the wheels are round and I have an even number.

i check the yellow markers are facing each other,but if one is missing…we have to get the man with a torque wrench out!

carryfast-yeti:
i check the yellow markers are facing each other,but if one is missing…we have to get the man with a torque wrench out!

My unit doesn’t have them and almost none of the trailers I use.