Dodgy so called mechanics

Reported an air leak on my trailer Thursday ( could hear it as she emptied the tanks sharpish once engine off) no pros office said they would get so called fleet mechanic out, turned up Friday 1st guy out said trailer was fine asked for it to be checked again 2nd guy out poss same guy again says its ok, Saturday a third mechanic looks at it and the line to the near side centre brake is fractured!! Unbelievable do others out there have to deal with these idiots?? Glad I stood my ground and refused to use it Friday and took my load out in our 23t and drag instead.

It’s an interesting thread, all trailers lose air and eventually even a brand-new trailer will lose all stored air, but is there a legally-defined point at which a trailer goes from being serviceable to being unroadworthy because it is losing air?

Even after 26 years, I still don’t know.

Harry Monk:
It’s an interesting thread, all trailers lose air and eventually even a brand-new trailer will lose all stored air, but is there a legally-defined point at which a trailer goes from being serviceable to being unroadworthy because it is losing air?

Sorry for the confusion all do loose air but my trailer never that quick even though the tanks charged ok I could feel the a difference through the pedal so loaded would have been worse.

Harry Monk:

Good point, at a guess I would say It’s where the actual point of the leak is detectable either audibly or otherwise.

Harry Monk:

Good question! Just when does natural depletion become unnatural loss?

I don’t think it is actually defined anywhere so I imagine that the legal position is that if the tractor unit can supply compressed air quicker than the trailer can lose it, then the combination is legal.

Ah but if an airline is physically fractured then it is dangerous, I personally would not take it out in that condition, if you can hear it then bugger it!

Have had “sticking dump valves” which would leave the trailer unable to move after about 20 minutes. If the trailer was to old the a fitter tapping with a mallet would be the repair of choice, followed by another defect on return if a recurrence on route.

Just a quick update spoke to firm this morning the original mechanic called out said nothing about the leak just that it was ok we believe he has simply charged the tanks and seen them hold pressure, 2nd guy (diff from 1st) said there was a leak but was ok to use as charging faster than leaking BUT 3rd said because line was fractured it would only get worse and quickly so was best to repair before use. SO I have a litte egg on my face but 3 different mechanics with 3 diff outcomes the first not even finding the leak! So it seems as long as charging quicker then loosing with no obvious sign it could get worse then ok?

I’ve always gone by if you see or hear a leak its un roadworthy if you connect it up and it pressurises and you try a good press on the breaks and it recharges again with no hissing or visible leaks you should be ok end of the day were drivers not Fitters (though we might have to do that next DCPC lol)

Can hear and locate a leak and as far as i’m concerned its VOR.

Thing is would any of these fitters take a truck for MOT with an obvious leak, i doubt it.

Juddian:

Thing is would any of these fitters take a truck for MOT with an obvious leak, i doubt it.

As a ex fitter I have taken a truck for mot with a leak and passed as long as its not to bad and doesn’t affect the brakes it ok.

I got stopped by VOSA a couple of weeks ago, and got a delayed prohibition for a slight air leak from the chamber on the midlift axle. It was so slight I had to struggle to hear it when he pointed it out, but still got a 5-day wonder for it.

Gary

Juddian:

I’d agree with that if it was bad I’d get it back to yard or garage ASAP. Thing is if it has a leak it won’t get better so best get it sorted before it gets worse as these things usually decide to die it the noser awkward time.

“Leakage such that air pressure cannot be sustained with engine
running at just above idle speed.” = IMMEDIATE PROHIBITION.

“Other than above.” = DELAYED PROHIBITION.

I would report the matter to my Transport Manager, verbally AND in
written format, IN FRONT OF A WITNESS and be guided by his
superior intelligence and experience.

If you can hear the leak then you probably shouldn’t be taking it out.

■■■■■ sake, if it’s a fleet trailer and it’s ■■■■■■■ air, it doesn’t move. Do you WANT to spend years in jail being someones ■■■■■ because you killed someone when the trailer wouldn’t stop?

Don’t be a drama queen.
An air leak will never make a trailer fail to stop.
Exactly the opposite. Modern trailers have anchorlocks, you lose your air, your brakes lock up.

Well, maybe there’s a few trailers that have direct operating brakes, 1960’s Eager Beavers for one, Commetti’s of the same age.

[zb] sake, if it’s a fleet trailer and it’s ■■■■■■■ air, it doesn’t move. Do you WANT to spend years in jail being someones ■■■■■ because you killed someone when the trailer wouldn’t stop?

How would it not stop? it wouldn’t move to start with? all whats going to happen is your going to drive out yard then look a pillock when the trailer brakes lock up again and if the leak is that bad the shunt valve won’t save you as there be no air left in reservoir.
(and if its a really bad leak your tractor unit won’t move as well as as it won’t be able to keep the presure and there won’t be enough air to release its brakes)
only time its not going to stop if you get under there and manually wind off the brakes then
:blush: