Dodgy modding in Euro forum

As we know Simon is the mod in the Euro forum. Many a time I’ve seen him get arsey with someone for starting a new topic asking a question that was recently answered, but when it comes to trolls he doesn’t care. I was under the impression Rikki encouraged us to use the report button to make mods aware of problems, yet when I did in the Euro forum to report an obvious troll I just got a sarky reply. Won’t make that mistake again.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109489&p=1665679#p1665679

How do these Mods get selected in the first place? From what I’ve seen, some who used to be and were replaced/removed whatever the case may be. Seem to have a beef with this place and some of those on it. The recent row on here between an ex Mod who refused to allow a members posts because “He didn’t like him!” So how are these people chosen then?
I can usually tell who’s “on duty” when my posts either appear or disappear. It’s not worth getting arsey about it. Some Mods here have proven elsewhere how cliquey they are.

If people didn’t respond to the trolling it would starve them of the attention they crave :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: The report was looked at and dealt with according to the mods own guidelines.

Can I be a mod? :smiley:

Some trolls posts aren’t that obvious when a thread 1st begins.

Rikki-UK:
If people didn’t respond to the trolling it would starve them of the attention they crave :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: The report was looked at and dealt with according to the mods own guidelines.

Thats not the point though is it? People dont realise hes a troll at first then spend time answering what seem like geniune questions only for it to be that they wasted their time. I apologise Rikki for listening to your advice to use the report button if I see a problem, I shant make that mistake again. I must have been mistaken about your efforts to root out trolls, sorry.

that is the point Switch, you reported it and it was looked at, if you didn’t report it we might not know anything about the thread, as with 100s post daily we don’t read every one,

You reported it, the mod dealt with it as was felt appropriate- that’s the way the system works…

Sometimes mods take immediate action, sometimes they take some time to consult the rest of the team, some times they wait a bit to let the problem poster hang themselves totally :wink: and sometimes they do nothing at all- what they don’t do is take any action just because members are insisting on it…

I don’t think Switch is complaining about the post NOT being dealt with. Just they WAY it was dealt with and the attitude connected with it. Just saying.

switchlogic:
As we know Simon is the mod in the Euro forum. Many a time I’ve seen him get arsey with someone for starting a new topic asking a question that was recently answered, but when it comes to trolls he doesn’t care. I was under the impression Rikki encouraged us to use the report button to make mods aware of problems, yet when I did in the Euro forum to report an obvious troll I just got a sarky reply. Won’t make that mistake again.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109489&p=1665679#p1665679

As it happens, I didn’t see your report at all. One of my fellow mods dealt with it.

So lets see. Your post about reporting a troll is in the middle of page 3 of that thread.
The fourth post on page 2 is one of mine, it reads

Simon:

wakey trucker:
Evening lads I am going its part of contract we haul for. Its only comes round every 3 months so they put me on it. Its part of american mod contract.

So it’s a regular trip for your company. They’ll know about routes, ferries etc.
Your best bet for instructions on all of this will be your own office.

Now I’m not the quickest, but even I had figured he was talking rubbish by then.
However several members were egging him on to see what else he was going to come up with, by dropping in an “interested” question. So left it to run.
Assuming you saw the thread title and like most others thought something like “that looks interesting”, you’ll have read page one. By the end of page one, at the latest, you’ll have figured it was a troll post, which was still running. It appears that you disagreed with my decision to “let it run”, so you reported it.
That’s fine, that’s your perogative
You also posted that you’d reported it.
I replied “sarcastically” to your post, you post with a whinge in here.

Should I check with you before implementing any other similar decisions?

bigvern1:
I don’t think Switch is complaining about the post NOT being dealt with. Just they WAY it was dealt with and the attitude connected with it. Just saying.

No, you’re right, he’s complaining that I replied directly to him with a “sarky” comment.

Well, could you not have done it without sarcasm and just dealt with it by locking it? Seems a fairer way to me.

bigvern1:
Well, could you not have done it without sarcasm and just dealt with it by locking it? Seems a fairer way to me.

Why lock a thread that breaks no rules and is providing a bit of entertainment to the more savy posters to it.

I’m sure that “Trolling” isn’t tolerated on here. Hence the need for the report button. Someone reported a troll thread and was given a sarcastic response from a moderator. Hence this discussion now. Mr Switchlogic has a point. What IS the point of reporting such threads? :unamused: Obvious attempts at trolling should be locked. Even Simon himself noticed after a short time, that this was one of those

puntabrava:

bigvern1:

Why lock a thread that breaks no rules and is providing a bit of entertainment to the more savy posters to it.

Exactly puntabrava :smiley:

bigvern1:
I’m sure that “Trolling” isn’t tolerated on here. Hence the need for the report button. Someone reported a troll thread and was given a sarcastic response from a moderator. Hence this discussion now. Mr Switchlogic has a point. What IS the point of reporting such threads? :unamused: Obvious attempts at trolling should be locked. Even Simon himself noticed after a short time, that this was one of those

There’s an explanation of how things panned out further up this page.
I’m not going to break things down even further just for you.

Simon:

bigvern1:

Still not really an explanation of why the sarcastic reply was necessary…

Moderators are members here too… and entitled to post as they see fit as long as it stays within the rules -Most mods have their own “style” - its part of the rich tapestry of these forums as yet sarcasm isn’t against the rules - but I am working on it :wink:
The moderators are not employees, simply members of this community that have shown they have the ability to help run the forums, as such they are members like everyone else with a couple extra buttons- and like everyone moderators can have a bad day too you know. :wink:

The huge day to day to day running of this forum is done by people still doing the same job day to day as you guys- who have exactly the same problems as you and therefore a good knowledge of the industry, and understanding of the banter- and are in a great position to use judgement over issues that arise on here other forums in different sectors of industry outsource the moderation to call centres, where some guy with no knowledge of the industry sits with a checklist and if it doesn’t tick the boxes it goes,

Here we have some flexibility and the moderators often take time to see the context or how its being received by the other members and let stuff go - we don’t get it right every time, but then moderating the way we do it is not an exact science.

Rather than knocking the guys who give up their time for no reward to keep this site on track, a small note of thanks to them should be offered, because without the volunteers this site would have disappeared ages ago

Surely this thread is just giving the troll more attention

Simon:

bigvern1:

I never asked you to.

But he fooled nobody, and actually provided entertainment, by making himself look a div.
as for sarcy coments…if you can’t take it…don’t give it :wink: