Dodgy Driving Courses

On BBC1 now - Fake Britain and an investigation into driver training scams. :exclamation:

they should do a program about what sort of idiots are applying to become hgv drivers.
if they fall for one of these scams, then they shouldn’t be considering a career as a hgv driver. just muppets that think lorry driving is just driving.

Cheers Fred, that was worth a watch. The usual story unfortunately, this time focussing on Highlfe LGV. It’s good that the problem is receiving national TV coverage now, it’s time something was done about it. This problem used to be widespread in the holiday industry which is why ABTA and ATOL came into existence.

Thanks for that heads up.

I’m a bit surprised that these internet savvy youngsters are so gullible, they found and booked these courses online, but failed to investigate things a bit more.

I thought young people were more streetwise these days, or has the ever increasing number of scum bag con men now overtaken the dwindling number of decent honourable people in all walks of life in this country.

i doubt it’s mostly the youngsters that are getting conned. it’ll most likely be ex civil servants, ex BAE systems, ex BNFL. they think we just get in the truck, and go for a drive around the country.

limeyphil:
they should do a program about what sort of idiots are applying to become hgv drivers.
if they fall for one of these scams, then they shouldn’t be considering a career as a hgv driver. just muppets that think lorry driving is just driving.

THe public have this perception nowdays that Driving a lorry is in fact a fast track way to get yourself onto the TV reality show known on here as “Tossers and trailers” I believe.

Does anyone have the statistics that suggest drivers in yards don’t have a clue when newly trained, because their licence lessons course doesn’t cover things like loading/unloading, or even roping & sheeting! :open_mouth:

I think that the trouble is that by the time complaints start appearing on the internet about a specific firm, that it’s already too late for lots of people. Certainly if you Google “learn to drive HGV” then I can’t find anything on the first 5 pages to suggest that there might be potential problems.

To my mind, blaming people for being ripped off by confidence tricksters is a bit like blaming a burglary victim for not having good enough locks. The villain is the burglar, not the householder.

Not had a chance to view it yet but will do when I get home later. Just thought those who might need these services should be aware!

It’ll be on the iPlayer, starts about 13:45 in between the fake vodka and the wheel clampers. :wink:

Not on iplayer, thinking that seeing it was on day time tv so probably an old episode thats not available. Oh well… :frowning:

Just watched it! Short story but it seems only if you pay by credit card that you get your money back! Newbies! You Have Been Warned! :open_mouth:

terratology:
Not on iplayer, thinking that seeing it was on day time tv so probably an old episode thats not available. Oh well… :frowning:

bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … pisode_13/