Dodgy Accountants!

Hi everyone,

I know Think Accounting/New Wave have been posted about before but I was wondering has anyone taking any legal action against any dodgy accountants including them at all? How did you get on? Who helped you with legal advice?

Cheers.

According to a previous thread I believe there’s a solicitor getting rich off the backs of certain drivers trying to collect, or shove the blame onto think and it’s director(s)

Want dodgy Accountants ?

The following 3 companies were/are run by the same shower of excrement

Think Accounting Ltd…Application to strike off

Igloo Accounting Ltd…Liquidation

New Wave Accounting Ltd…Proposal to strike off

All of this in 5 years.

I think even you Pierre with your patronising attitude might agree that the above speaks for itself. Directors that used the above companies paid them to administer their companies accounting/book keeping, not to be completely ripped off with their vat monies and to be landed with large ni/tax bills because THINK/IGLOO/NEW WAVE were breaching the rules. Because everybody is responsible for their own tax, the individual was landed with the bills. The merchant bankers at the above companies carry on making a fortune at the expense of their clients constantly playing cat and mouse with the incompetent HMRC.

cazzaworld:
Hi everyone,

I know Think Accounting/New Wave have been posted about before but I was wondering has anyone taking any legal action against any dodgy accountants including them at all? How did you get on? Who helped you with legal advice?

Cheers.

I’m curious about your interest. Are you ambulance chasing here?

So finally, the Government, only this week have announced they are going to bring in new legislation to stamp out the crooked Accountants who facilitate the avoidance of tax for their clients. The legislation proposes the Accountants will be fined the amount of which they have short changed HMRC. Well done, finally, the parasitic so called Accountants out there are now being reined in and are going to be accountable for their bent ways. :smiley:

robbo99.:
I think even you Pierre with your patronising attitude might agree that the above speaks for itself. Directors that used the above companies paid them to administer their companies accounting/book keeping, not to be completely ripped off with their vat monies and to be landed with large ni/tax bills because THINK/IGLOO/NEW WAVE were breaking the rules. Because everybody is responsible for their own tax, the individual was landed with the bills. The merchant bankers at the above companies carry on making millions at the expense of their clients constantly playing cat and mouse with the incompetent HMRC.

Maybe IF the individual drivers looked closely at the details of schemes they where signing up to, they might have noticed they where signing up to VAT etc which wasn’t going to be paid to them. Instead most of them just followed the golden carrot that was dangled in front of them, leaving them wide open to exploitation.
You know what they say, a fool and his money are easily parted

Well Pierre, I think you will find that the way Think hid the fact that they were charging their clients an annual fee, this on top of the weekly fee they were charging, and then on terminating Thinks services clients were charged exhorbitant fees taken from the VAT that Think held on account are actually the correct facts. The fees charged were a complete rip off. If you had a full grasp of what happened then you wouldn’t post such patronising comments.

Never trust a man that spells his “name” incorrectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbo99.:
Well Pierre, I think you will find that the way Think hid the fact that they were charging their clients an annual fee, this on top of the weekly fee they were charging, and then on terminating Thinks services clients were charged exhorbitant fees taken from the VAT that Think held on account are actually the correct facts. The fees charged were a complete rip off. If you had a full grasp of what happened then you wouldn’t post such patronising comments.

As I was never dumb enough to consider using an umbrella Co because I did my own bookkeeping & VAT. I’ve not been one of those who have been coming on TNUK trying to blame someone else for my mistakes. Umbrella Co’s relied on drivers ignorance, laziness, & greed of being S/E to make money out of the driver. Something they exploited very well.

PaulNowak:
Never trust a man that spells his “name” incorrectly

Yeah …it appears rob can’t spell my user name correctly despite your assumption I’ve spelt it wrong :laughing:

Well PEIRRE, it seems the more you post the more you show your total ignorance of facts.
1.The people that used Think/Igloo/New Wave were not using them via an umbrella company, an umbrella company is a totally different set up.
2. The individuals were not self employed, they were Directors of their own Ltd companies, in this case their own Personal Service Company and were caught up because Think/Igloo/New Wave were deemed a Provider by HMRC.

Do keep up old boy :smiley:

The Accountants broke the rules, hence the constant change of company over the last 5 years, because they broke the rules the Driver, (Director) cops for the bill because he /she is responsible for their own tax. So the question has to be asked, why have an Accountant? because if they dont play by the rules they walk away unchallenged and the client ends up with a hefty bill plus interest.

I’ve been keeping up with progress on TNUK for the past 13 years & so far I’ve not managed to be robbed by those companies you mention, as I never needed to use them.
If I ever end up with a huge tax bill, it’ll be all my own fault & I won’t be able to blame someone else

Well Peirre, it’s good to hear that you didn’t use an Accountant, but not everyone is in the same position as you. As already stated it was Think and the likes that broke the rules, not the Drivers.

Let me put it another way.

Mr Driver requires an extension building on his home, Mr Driver is unable to build the extension himself so he seeks out a Builder to do the work. The Builder prices up the job, comes back and builds the extension and Mr Driver pays him.

Unbeknown to Mr Driver, the Builder has breached building regulations, used sub standard materials and basically fleeced him.

18 months later the extension collapses due to the above. Are you saying Peirre, that Mr Driver is to blame for this due to his poor choice of Builder or would you go along with the view that the Builder is to blame for his corrupt actions?

The problem is think igloo etc you were in an umbrella scheme hence the expenses you could claim were less than if actually ltd your self as Pierre (sort if its wrong) has been set up as I use an accountant but a proper account and and not in any way an umbrella

If you know the score and are limited then carry on! :sunglasses:
If you’re not and have been using an umbrella, change to PAYE.

The end! :smiley:

Think Accounting Ltd dealt with PSC Ltd companies, they had a separate company called Think Umbrella Ltd that dealt with the umbrella scheme. Directors are receiving ni/tax bills because Think Accounting Ltd breached the MSC legislation due to them being classed as a Provider.

Just catching up as I’ve just come back from a fishing trip

Evil8Beezle:
If you know the score and are limited then carry on! :sunglasses:
If you’re not and have been using an umbrella, change to PAYE.

Your probably correct, however IMO I think the days are numbered for all S/E, agency, working direct etc, style of driver and the return to PAYE is probably the way forward for ALL

alix776:
The problem is think igloo etc you were in an umbrella scheme hence the expenses you could claim were less than if actually ltd your self as Peirre (sort if its wrong) has been set up as I use an accountant but a proper account and and not in any way an umbrella

I am/was in control of my own bookkeeping & never used a company such as think, igloo etc. My contact with a proper accountant was kept to an absolute minimum with maybe 2 visits per year (drop off/collect books & pay bill). HMRC where even good enough to send copies of nessesary paperwork to him, saving me the effort of forwarding correspondance.
I did all my own invoicing, VAT etc. The effort involved only took me 10-20min per week and could be done while I was on a bay, & certainly wasn’t worth £15+ p/week others paid the trolly Co. The hardest part (initially) was fabricating/setting up a spreadsheet from scratch for my bookkeeping.