Dodge D308

Any detectives out there?

In about 1970,I sold a Dodge D308 with a Perkinds 6.354 engine,ENV gearbox and Eaton 2 speed axle. with a flat bed, about 22 - 24 ft if I remember correctly.
It was dark blue.
I shipped it on top of a load of coal from Coburg dock in Liverpool to the Isle of Man.
Cant remember the guy I sold it to
Seem to think the price was £350 and it cost £30 to ship it !
Can anyone over there recall this wagon?

A little story about it.
It was driven by a very nice fella called Ted Mahr in Liverpool.
He broke down in Altrincham one day.
I towed him back to Liverpool…
with a mini !!! :open_mouth:
Looking back on this, I find it totally and utterly ridiculous and would not believe it if someone related the tail now.
However, I assure you its true. I removed the back window and made a hole in the boot floor, threaded a chain around the back end and hooked it onto the Dodge.
Despite almost total lack of brakes [air over hydraulic] he never made contact with me all the way home.
The mini was knackered, no clutch left and subframe a very funny shape.
But just shows you what can be done ! It was very good training for the barmy days when I went to Iran.

This is a 1960s heavy duty D309 series the main differance between this and the 308 was the 10 stud wheels plus heavier duty road springs & helpers.

John
This is the company I served my apprenticeship with in the 60s.They ran about 20 D308 Dodge tippers mostly with the perkins 6.354 engine and eaton 2 speed axle they also had a few with the leyland 350 engine.Good motors in there time for the type of work they were doing.Photo is courtesey of Tipit whose dad is in the picture.

They also ran a few parrot nose dodge too.

Three more here to keep this thread going.All registered 1964/65.

JOHN

Come on lads someone must have some pics of these models from the 50s/60s/70s.Plus the odd tale to tell.
Here’s one doctored to the livery of Thomas Lamb who ran over 20 Dodge tippers during the 50s/60s.

This one belonged to Tipits dad when he was an owner driver.

2 parrot nose Dodge Kews

D 308 Dodge from 1965.

Dodge KT900 6 wheeler

Spent a lot of times in that road when i lived in liverpool before i came to the smoke

I remember when I was mechanicing in the 60s going out to a D308 6.354 perkins with a clutch problem,on arrival I removed the inspection plate from under the bellhousing only to find the plate in bits,so I got the driver to sit in the cab holding down the clutch pedal while I pushed pieces of a cardboard box in between pressure plate & flywheel refitted inspection plate and away we went,told driver to set of in 2nd and only change once to 3rd and we got it home,luck was with us in that we only had about 3/4mile to go.You wouldn’t get away with something like that nowadays.

hiya…GF Potter from welshpool had a 1965 4 wheeler 308 model Dodge with a AEC engine. i was only about 14 so never knew if
it was a 470 or a 505.was the 505 available in 1965■■? my uncle (who i rode shotgun with)had a 1964 model with a 354 fitted, so
when i got into the potters lorry and the bonnet was from front to the back of the cab, i asked the driver why the big bonnet. ■■?
he told me that the engine was a AEC.
John

Two more here.Dodge Kew known as the parrot nose truck,usually fitted with a perkins P6 engine.

And the D308 Series again early models were fitted with P6 and then with the Perkins 6.354.also Leylands 350.

I personally never came across one with the AEC AV engine fitted but know doubt it was at sometime.
JOHN

HI ALL
THE PHOTO OF AJ BRUSH BRINGS BACK MEMORIES MY OLD BOSS JACK RUSSELL DROVE FOR THIS COMPANY MANY YEARS AGO HE LATER MARRIED THE EX WIFE OF ALAN BRUSH.HE LATER BECAME M.D OF JA WILKINSON TRANSPORT HATFIELD PEVEREL.
AJ BRUSH OWNED SAND AND GRAVEL PITS THEY ALSO RAN FODENS & AEC 8 WHEELERS

Ref the Dodge D308, we are still running a 1963 example on cattle transport from our base in Shropshire. Even though its the owners pride and joy it is not kept wrapped in cotton wool but goes out on the biggest jobs every day and works 5 days a week. The 6354 engine has been relaced with a Perkins Phaser unit and without the cattle box on the back is good for speeds that would make yer teeth itch!!!

Hi volvof10
Have you any photos of your Dodge that you can post on this thread? if so we would love to see them
John. :smiley:

Hi John,

Not sure how to do that but I can send you some for your own use (or even better for you to post if you know how to do so!!!)

Cheers

VolvoF10

Stanfield:
Hi volvof10
Have you any photos of your Dodge that you can post on thids thread? if so we would love to see them
John. :smiley:

Hiya …This truck is the bees knees 40 years service and still going. i run from chester down the A41 from 86 untill 2002 and saw her many times.
she was special to me as when i was a kid i would go with my uncle in a same spec dodge (4664VT)a flat on corn deliveries around Alton towers area.

John

Hi volvoF10.
Didn’t know you meant this one,but like I said email me the other pics and I will put them on for you with pleasure
JOHN

I have been asked to add these to the thread by Howard (volvof10)

JOHN

A couple more I have found.Nice restoration jobs.

JOHN

The one in Matlock Transport livery belongs to the son of a mate of mine and was originally red and blue until a year or so ago when he repainted it. He restored it a few years ago, I think that it dates from 1958 and has a Leyland engine, his last restoration was a K series Dodge unit with Perkins V8 engine which is painted in B J Waters livery.

Pete.