Documents station at a supermarket

the other post made me think of asking this. I was at an rdc last night. In the drivers waiting area was a desk with a sign above it saying right to work in the uk documents.

any idea what thats about?? surly the supermarket are not bothering to check driver credentials for supplying companies or if its to check thier drivers docuents than surly there is a better place for the desk than the goods in waiting room

All companies will check you have the right to work in the UK or at the very least they should. A birth cert or passport is usually accepted for a right to work check.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:
All companies will check you have the right to work in the UK or at the very least they should. A birth cert or passport is usually accepted for a right to work check.

But surely companies only check their employees! Not their suppliers employees? That’s the point.
That’s weird Coop

stu675:

simcor:

But surely companies only check their employees! Not their suppliers employees? That’s the point.
That’s weird Coop

Yes for employed drivers it will be up to the agency or supplier to check the right to work in the UK for their drivers.

It’s for their drivers to provide ids.

An agency should check that all drivers they send to work, have valid work permits if needed, and valid licences.

The end employer is doing absolutely the right thing to check before letting anyone, direct employee or agency employee, work and drive.

I doubt they would be checking the credentials of visiting/supplier drivers. The OP wasn`t asked to provide proof was he?

But, no reason they couldnt make that a condition of entry to site is there? If they chose to. Private land, why couldnt you check that anyone driving a truck on your patch was qualified to do so?

the point i was trying to make is it seemed a weird thing to have in the drivers waiting room for goods in unless you were going to check the supplier drivers. Thing is if it is that what are they going to do. Hold on to the keys and refuse to let the lorry leave?? If they are doing that it seems a recipy for issues.

If it was for thier own drivers surly they would have it in the transport office or hr dept.

A bit pointless having a check on visiting drivers who may well have traveled from abroad to deliver and have every right to do that, but not to work for a UK based company.

Guessing…
Do the supermarket use outside hauliers to pull their own trailers?
An employee (agency or permanent) arriving to drive a unit from that depot, will arrive in a car(?) and enter premises on foot, and can be checked then.
Someone arriving in a non-supermarket unit, will need to checked before using supermarket trailer, but won`t be arriving on foot/car.
They will be in their truck, so it would make sense to send them into visiting drivers area first.

But just a guess.