Dock leveller bites driver

got back to the yard yesterday after a less than brilliant day,boss rang me at 05:00 to wake me up should have been in at 04:30,delivered one load to the wrong drop had to go back and pick it up re-deliver it ;and the icing on the cake was when I’d finished unloading empty cages back at the yard the dock leveller wouldn’t drop back down as I was a bit tight on it and the edge of the drop down plate was catching the tail lift of the trailer.Solution? I get another driver to operate the button while I try to push the plate back with my foot.It still got caught at first so I gave it a kick and it came down with all its’ weight squeezing my foot between it and the back of the trailer bruising my heel in the process…OUCH! :cry: put a big brave truckers face on it then hobbled round the corner and phoned my mummy.Now having a day off without pay :cry:

Load leveller at Royal Mail MK bit me. It hadn 't gripped the back of the truck correctly, and when I wheeled a cage over it, it dropped and the tongue bit fell off the back of the truck. It did it nice and slowly, so I didn’t notice. I wheeled a cage over it, and wham, there was me on the floor with a hurt leg. Same plan as you. Brave trucker face on it, a quick visit to the 1st aid room and back to work.

Slightly off topic but this reminds me of a horrendous accident I witnessed a few years ago. I was working agency at [ a very large supermarket chain] RDC when it was in the process of being commissioned.

There were a few older stores which had very low loading bays and needed tail-lift trailers to deliver to. I had the milk round to do which consisted of a full trailer of milk cages and about 4 or 5 drops.

I remember putting two cages of milk onto the tail lift and was walking back up the trailer to get the third when I heard the plates on the tail lift being dropped. I turned round to see a very young Saturday lad pull an entire cage of milk off the tail lift towards him. Everything happened in slow motion from there as the cage simply toppled over the 4’ drop onto him.

Rather than dodge out of the way he tried to hold it up or catch it or whatever with disastrous results. 2 broken arms and a fractured skull was the result. Absolutely sickening incident. I was gutted, I didn’t even know of his presence. Turns out that he had been told that the milk had arrived and he had been instructed to take it up to the shop floor. He didn’t know to wait until it had been put in the loading dock and thought he had to get it off the trailer himself.

slightly more off topic, how many times have you seen a driver pull off a bay whilst the traffic lights are on red??
leaving the dock leveller in place, I`ve seen loading/un-loading staff injured as a result of it, 1 occasion I witnessed a loader drive onto a trailer just as the driver pulled off the bay, result was 1 loader,1 double electric pallet truck, and 2 pallets of produce on the floor outside of the warehouse.
I myself have had 1 driver pinned up against the wall by the throat a long time ago for pulling off the bay on a red light whilst I was driving onto the back, loading a trailer,and endangering my life.

FFS, next time you pull off a bay make sure its safe to do so

The forkies at Gillette Reading were(are) incredibly rough. I backed onto a dock there and as a favour agreed to drop the trailer to put one of their own onto an adjacent dock. I could hear the forklift banging and crashing around and could see my trailer bouncing around as a result of the violence it was being treated to. Then all went quiet. Turns out that Mr Forkie, rather than using brakes to slow dowwn at the front of the trailer was simply running into the headboard and then the other pallets as he loaded it. Problem was that he was so violent that he managed to shunt the trailer forward enough for the dock leveller to clear the back of the trailer and drop down. He then simply reversed off the drop without looking…