Do your Christmas shopping now because of driver shortage

Winseer:

war1974:
i fail to see how becoming a HGV driver could be made attractive to younger people?

who at 18 years old sits at home and thinks i know i will go and get a job where i am up at 4am as a norm work 12 hours a day and get £10 per hour?
not to mention spoke to like something you stand in at rdc’s, seen as a general nuisance by Joe Public and then to make it much better i have to pay for my digi card/dcpc and hope that the nice chaps at dsva dont want some of my wages too.

what a great arena to ‘want’ to work in.

If someone had offered me that when I started, I’d have bitten their hand off for it! :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:
Mind you, in 1988 that would have been bloody good money for a 24 year old - let alone an 18 year old! :open_mouth:

Even though I’ve always hated earlies - the prospect of £10ph DAY RATE means that I’d merely shift into nights at the earliest opportunity (which I duly did in real life) and get “even more than that.” :smiling_imp:

If anyone wants to offer me £10 per hour day rate down in South Wales NOW! then I’m all ears!

sorry the Wales rate is £10 per day.

still say its about as appealing as hammering nails into your nuts as a job when a teenager.

What needs to happen in an ideal world…

• Abolition of planners logic that because drivers can do 15 hour days, that’s what the target should be.
  • Standard basic 40 hour week for drivers with overtime rates afterwards.
  • Jobs that require long days from drivers should have said drivers on 4 day weeks.
  • £10ph minimum.
  • Weekend premiums as standard.
  • Companies recruit trainee drivers when there is a shortage of ready trained applicants.
  • Increase in rates charged to customers to properly cover these costs.

Not a chance though. Too much competition in the industry from cheapskate firms for any decent change.

rob22888:
What needs to happen in an ideal world…

• Abortion of planners who think that because drivers can do 15 hour days, that’s what the target should be.
  • Standard basic 40 hour week inclusive of breaks for drivers with overtime rates afterwards that has no meal breaks knocked off it either.
  • Jobs that require long days from drivers should have said drivers on 3 day weeks.
  • £10ph minimum - to new recruits, whilst training.
  • Weekend premiums as standard - with such shifts actually being available to those who want to work them.
  • Companies recruit trainee drivers when there is a shortage of ready trained applicants - that they’ll then actually train, and not just throw keys at, with the instruction "try not to hit that wall, kill a cyclist, or mow down that granny…
  • Increase in rates charged to customers to properly cover these costs. Make the public understand that without trucks - they’ll starve!

Not a chance though. Too much competition in the industry from cheapskate firms for any decent change.

Best lets drive as many “corner cutters” out of the loop as possible then - by not working for them! :smiling_imp:

Reef:
If anyone wants to offer me £10 per hour day rate down in South Wales NOW! then I’m all ears!

All ears.jpg

buy cabbage ang fruit for Christmas ready.EVERY LITTLE HELP

how many run ,delivery was canceled in company where you work ,because no drivers.■■?
problem just because now to many small agency supply drivers.if will be more agency like ADR NETWORK-will be betters.because big agency can sent drivers from different place.Christmas time as well some company will be very busy,some company for agency drivers very quit.

Andrejs:
how many run ,delivery was canceled in company where you work ,because no drivers.■■?
problem just because now to many small agency supply drivers.if will be more agency like ADR NETWORK-will be betters.because big agency can sent drivers from different place.Christmas time as well some company will be very busy,some company for agency drivers very quit.

I have never seen so many subbies pulling supermarket trailers so early in the season.

this is how much of a driver shortage ther is mate of mine 59 yrs went for an interview last week blue chip company in Coventry good money not agency, loads of experience in all aspect’s of haulage did he get it did he bollock’s no such thing as a driver shortage :imp:

Andrejs:

I have yet to hear tales of customers going without deliveries. I’m sure the loads that need moving this Christmas will get moved, however it’s likely to be an expensive affair for various retailers and parcel firms etc. whilst agencies, subbies and the self employed take advantage and line their pockets with increased rates.

There is a shortage in some areas. The company I worked for has a fleet of couriers in small vans waiting outside every morning. They take the work that the company can’t deliver due to lack of drivers. This has been happening for months and it’s costing a fortune.

With Christmas season getting “ealier and earlier” every year it seems - there might come a time when firms realise that “paying through the nose across Christmas season just to avoid having to pay a living wage the rest of the time” is a bit daft…

Firms with no staff go out of business as much as firms with no money.

The main difference any “driver shortage” makes is in the perception that “Someone else might bid away your staff”. If someone believes it to be true, then it becomes true for anyone on the receiving end.

When I’ve been in the south of England I’ve noticed Tesco have been advertising on their trucks for drivers, drove past the Asda RDC in Erith and seen a big ad for drivers and was in a waitrose depot a few months back in Brinklow where they were advertising for class one drivers too. Anyone else seem them ?

There are a number of hoardings advertising jobs around the M25. All agencies though, I wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole.

What you ready b uy for Christam at this weekend■■?

the government should be encouraging young people to take up a career in politics, a career with a future, no qualifications needed, or even a car license, good pay, great benefits if you wrangle it right, lots and lots of expenses paid,even those you never paid for, and as the rest of European politicians have proved time and time again how easy it is to out smart their Brit counterparts what have you got to loose? if there are enough candidates it may suppress wages for MP’S (small price to pay for lower unemployment) good enough for truck drivers good enough for MP’s

markoc:
When I’ve been in the south of England I’ve noticed Tesco have been advertising on their trucks for drivers, drove past the Asda RDC in Erith and seen a big ad for drivers and was in a waitrose depot a few months back in Brinklow where they were advertising for class one drivers too. Anyone else seem them ?

Yes, but all the ones I’ve seen around Erith are for “Christmas contract work only”.
Ie. There’s no actual full time job doffing the actual uniform, and being paid by the supermarket itself rather than some third party umbrella agency firm… :frowning:

Waitrose have this strict dress code, especially with regards to “trousers”. It occurs to me that if they are actually providing you with a full time job, then the uniform is supposed to come with it. Seems a dumbarse move to fail someone at interview (as I have been) because the trousers were “too short” (32 degrees hot summer afternoon) and throw the job at some better-dressed 6-points-on-licence-minion instead.

Winseer:

markoc:

Yes, but all the ones I’ve seen around Erith are for “Christmas contract work only”.
Ie. There’s no actual full time job doffing the actual uniform, and being paid by the supermarket itself rather than some third party umbrella agency firm… :frowning:

Waitrose have this strict dress code, especially with regards to “trousers”. It occurs to me that if they are actually providing you with a full time job, then the uniform is supposed to come with it. Seems a dumbarse move to fail someone at interview (as I have been) because the trousers were “too short” (32 degrees hot summer afternoon) and throw the job at some better-dressed 6-points-on-licence-minion instead.

The asda banners were for full time jobs with asda direct so I don’t know where you’ve got that from? (I know a few that went for jobs there).

The banner I saw on the Crayford A206 roundabout mentioned “recruitment” and “Christmas”.
It didn’t say anything about still working in January, and the number wasn’t the asda erith traffic office - so maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong in assuming it’s “contract work over Christmas only via a third party”.

I deliver to the Heywood Distribution Park and there are signs up looking for drivers !

and there are a few in Bellshill as well

whether they are all agencies though i dont know ?