Do you ship out without any tools?

Be honest,what are the tools to take while away in Europe,stockings to put on the tank filler cap,to prevent dirt going in the tanks,if in a dodgy country that sellls dirty fuel.
Does anyone go out with no tool box?Adjustable spanners,mole wrench,clamps,basic stuff to get you home again.

Take a spare engine if possible.

i always have a spare engine in trailer,just in case. :smiley:

Box of spanners and screwdrivers, socket set and bulbs, fuses, small ratchet straps, tiewraps and tape. Tape measure, scraper, sweeping brush. Torx and allen sockets

Duck taper is handy to have too.Spare set of air lines and electric lines,jump start cables.

stockings to filter fuel Toby??
Is that the real reason you carry them or is it just an excuse in case someone sees them and are you just covering your arse (so to speak) :wink:
No, that would be tights wouldn’t it

I,ve met a few tools on the ferries in my time :laughing:

As iv’e always just been an employee(driver) no need to take any tools, although i wouldn’t object to taking spare air & electrics (suzies) with an adjustable or correct size spanner, but as for the rest not my part of the ship as an employee, I’m sure that goes for most of us

tommy t:
As iv’e always just been an employee(driver) no need to take any tools, although i wouldn’t object to taking spare air & electrics (suzies) with an adjustable or correct size spanner, but as for the rest not my part of the ship as an employee, I’m sure that goes for most of us

And of course you are fluent in every language and can diagnose and explain a simple problem to a Spanish or Italian mechanic

Yes, fully equipped :grimacing:

tommy t:
I’m sure that goes for most of us

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …Really■■?

I cant believe that a driver would even consider ventureing into Euroland and beyond without even the most basic of tool kits. Surely you would take at least a couple of screwdrivers, adjustables, spare suzies etc!

Would you really not even TRY and change a blown headlight bulb or indicator■■? Im not talking about stripping an engine down to its bare nuts and bolts as some can do, but surely any self respecting driver would at least do the most basic of maintainence and that would require a basic tool kit!! :confused:

tommy t:
I’m sure that goes for most of us

Not me. Shipping out as an OD or more recently as an employee of DHL I’ve always had basic tools and spares with me.

tommy t:

typical response really for drivers nowadays not a shock, “not my job” attitude and then they wonder why they are being replaced by people who are willing to work.
i had a blown headlight in italy last week should i have,
a) rung the boss and got a call out from mercedes costing in the possibly hundreds of euros as i was on a pay motorway?

b) get my screwdriver out open the headlight and change the bulb, taking 7 minutes of my time?

tommy t would be answer a mine was obviously b :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

None.If it breaks Im not paid to fix it.

When the hard weather kicks in & these guys breakdown in the middle of nowhere they are dead meat in those ‘heaps of metal in the snow.’ You must be capable of getting yerself out of trouble or just drive in UK in the summer months.

bigvern1:

and you wouldn’t lift a finger to do anything? that amazes me how people can be so bolshy, if your boss decides to cut back on his workforce and you all work as hard as each other but you run up call out fees everywhere and another driver does a little to help who will he keep?

Not bolshy at all. We have a good boss who looks after us, so if anything happens it’s dealt with.
Without being too pedantic…I would obviously change bulbs, or change a wheel if poss. But a mechanic I ain’t.
So what else can I do? :unamused:

bigvern1:
Not bolshy at all. We have a good boss who looks after us, so if anything happens it’s dealt with.
Without being too pedantic…I would obviously change bulbs, or change a wheel if poss. But a mechanic I ain’t.
So what else can I do? :unamused:

thats not how your post comes across

bigvern1:

List of things that can go wrong or have done to me.
Air tank bracket snaps
Fuel tank bracket snaps
split air pipe
broken injector pipe
wiring faults
air cleaner blocked
puncture
wiper linkages worn
radiator mounting broken
burst bottom hose
air valves leaking or blocked
fuel pump diaphragm split
heater motor sticking

There are loads more, all of them sorted with a few bits I carried in my toolbox

Ive always carried a basic tool kit ie screwdrivers spanners pliers electrical tape a few jubilee clips bulbs fuses etc and that’s on local work. I’m not a mechanic but I’m fairly mechanically minded and can usually do minor running repairs. It’s better to spend 20 minutes doing a basic repair than waisting a couple of hours for a fitter if it’s something stupid