Do you really love driving?

switchlogic:

Janos:
Regarding ‘really loving’ driving, I think if you told some haulage companies that, they would ride you like a seaside donkey.

Still not read my original comment on this thread then… :unamused:

To assist you 0

Janos:
I would not swap a moment in a sail boat, or on a mountain for a long drive in a truck, ever.

Why is it a swap? Believe it or not it isn’t either/or. And guess what, I’ve spent a few ‘moments’ in a sail boat. Last time sailing this across the Bay of Biscay after exploring Channel Islands and Brittany. You’re that typical type that sees someone reveal something about themselves, I.e my former job, then think you know it all about people. Surprisingly common. Does it bug me? Nah, it’s a bit comical. Tho do find it completely baffling why you seem to think I don’t go on holiday. Why do you think that? Even after I’ve pointed out that it really isn’t the case, not by a long stretch.

I have to agree, that is quite impressive. I am a RYA 2 at the moment, so a trip like that is an aspiration.

RE really loving driving. Wales is open again, so probably this weekend I will be heading for Ogwen for a swim and a climb. Driving there, I can quite honestly say, once I reach lovely Colwyn Bay, because I have missed it so much, I will be loving it, but probably by august I will just want to get there. The driving is just something that has to be done, and definitely endured if the A55 is stacked back on the way home. That is how I feel about work. I work for myself, so just want the job done, and move on. The driving is just incidental.
I also correlate the ‘loving driving’ culture, with the pervasive long hours culture in our industry. There are too many drivers happy to work stupid hours to drive flash trucks. I don’t mean those lads who live in areas where there are few employment opportunities, so they have to take what is offered, but those who say it is a lifestyle choice, and take any amount of ■■■■■ from the company, just to feel like they are king of the road. If more people treated it as a proper job, and demanded parity with other jobs, it would be a different job.
The amount of drivers who retire and then die is ridiculous. One in fourteen deaths is caused by too much sitting in sedentary jobs. You may be ‘loving’ the driving, but you are slowly killing yourself.

p.s sorry, I did miss that introspective bit about your relationship with driving.

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
I was actually making the point that many people aren’t doing awful jobs by choice and because they enjoy doing them.
Likewise there just ain’t enough of the good stuff for everyone that wants it. :bulb:

The “good stuff” is reserved for an exclusive inner circle of elite drivers whose faces fit. It’s a very closed and shadowy clique, shrouded in mysticism, whose members instantly recognise each other through secret symbols and unanimously agree to restrict the riff-raff to dustcart driving and the like while we chosen few mop up all the Athens and Casablanca trips. :wink:

:unamused: :unamused: You two do realise you’ve broken the sacred laws of the Elite Euro Drivers association by discussing this secret society with Carryfast…of all people. :open_mouth:
You had him convinced when you were denying it all Luke,.what the hell are you thinking of.? :open_mouth:

You leave me no alternative to contact the Sared Grand master the honorable Mr Leslie Routier (commonly known as Les) …the society will not be happy.
May God have mercy on your arse holes. :laughing:

I’m sensing a de escalation in tensions reminiscent of Cold War proportions. :wink:

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
I was actually making the point that many people aren’t doing awful jobs by choice and because they enjoy doing them.
Likewise there just ain’t enough of the good stuff for everyone that wants it. :bulb:

The “good stuff” is reserved for an exclusive inner circle of elite drivers whose faces fit. It’s a very closed and shadowy clique, shrouded in mysticism, whose members instantly recognise each other through secret symbols and unanimously agree to restrict the riff-raff to dustcart driving and the like while we chosen few mop up all the Athens and Casablanca trips. :wink:

I knew it I told you so. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … o-the-urtu

robroy:
You two do realise you’ve broken the sacred laws of the Elite Euro Drivers association by discussing this secret society with Carryfast…of all people. :open_mouth:
You had him convinced when you were denying it all Luke,.what the hell are you thinking of.? :open_mouth:

You leave me no alternative to contact the Sared Grand master the honorable Mr Leslie Routier (commonly known as Les) …the society will not be happy.

To be fair the issue obviously also applied to envious Ford factory workers wanting out to do the the Dagenham to Southampton trunk.
That was deffo TGWU’s turf not Les Routiers’.
I’m just wondering if the almost permanent sun tan resulting from those long Summer holidays touring Southern Europe might have affected my chances in the job. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Tarmaceater:
For Amesbury good Sir , did you enlighten your presence at TJ Morris t/a Home Bargains ?

Yes I did.
And a splendid shift…it was

robroy:

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

:unamused: :unamused: You two do realise you’ve broken the sacred laws of the Elite Euro Drivers association by discussing this secret society with Carryfast…of all people. :open_mouth:

Oh FFS, not again!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice I know you’re thinking of my bum hole tho

Janos:
You may be ‘loving’ the driving, but you are slowly killing yourself.

FFS, how many ways do I need to tell you I don’t?! I’m not even at work right now and haven’t been for 14 months FFS

switchlogic:

Janos:

FFS, how many ways do I need to tell you I don’t?! I’m not even at work right now and haven’t been for 14 months FFS

I meant drivers and driving generally.

Hour in the garden this morning…just enough to raise the heart beat,a little(don’t want to be wearing any joints out)
Light lunch,before a bit of a run to MK.

Easy life.

Janos wrote:

he’s already tried that but thankfully he failed… :smiley:

Janos:

switchlogic:

Janos:

I’d take my chances thanks.In general the more physically demanding the job the less life expectancy and general health will be.In addition to the very special mindset required to handle more than a day shut in a factory/office/warehouse.
That’s obviously got nothing to do with sitting comfortably watching the scenery of a nice long run go by and then waiting while a forklift tips and reloads for you.
People pay good money for similar holidays. :wink:

Janos:

switchlogic:

Janos:

Did find it funny the thought driving is slowly killing me… by standards of recent events driving is more likely to kill me stone dead all at once

switchlogic:
by standards of recent events driving is more likely to kill me stone dead all at once

Driving and crashing are mutually exclusive and an oxymoron. :bulb: :wink: :laughing:

Live fast , die young. Sid Vicious, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Cochran…Luke Vernon. illustrious company.

Janos:
Live fast , die young. Sid Vicious, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Cochran…Luke Vernon. illustrious company.

Duke of Edinburgh. Why are the good always taken too soon

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
by standards of recent events driving is more likely to kill me stone dead all at once

Driving and crashing are mutually exclusive and an oxymoron. :bulb: :wink: :laughing:

Are they? So you can crash without actually driving?

Carryfast:

robroy:
You two do realise you’ve broken the sacred laws of the Elite Euro Drivers association by discussing this secret society with Carryfast…of all people. :open_mouth:

To be fair the issue obviously also applied to envious Ford factory workers wanting out to do the the Dagenham to Southampton trunk.
I’m just wondering if the almost permanent sun tan resulting from those long Summer holidays touring Southern Europe might have affected my chances in the job. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Yes, completely. No one is going employ someone with a tan, what were you thinking

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Are they? So you can crash without actually driving?

At the point of crashing and leading up to the crash the blameworthy party is generally just a passenger not in control driving.For any number of numerous reasons varying from ran out of talent to fell asleep at the wheel to vehicle condition/weight distribution. :wink:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

robroy:

Yes, completely. No one is going employ someone with a tan, what were you thinking

It was obviously a bit late for me to realise in 1997 that the TGWU were wrong uns like all the rest and obviously no sun tans allowed fake or real as part of that. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: