Do you really love driving?

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
if I can live the life I have, anyone can, it’s all in your power. You just need to get out there and grab it all and approach everything with the right attitude. Thinking work is something to dislike that you must endure is such a destructive way to live. It is quite literally one of the biggest things in your life, work out how to enjoy it and everything else just slots into place.

Which in an ideal world would be great.
But the reality of having to pay the household bills and everyone with any sense is looking for that same utopian dream of a working life made up of continuous long road trips, meaning such jobs are massively over subscribed, says no.
No one worked down a coal mine or shut in a factory for the fun of the job or because they didn’t prefer the job of travelling around Europe on a continuous merry go round of freight or passenger journeys.Or drove a scaffold truck around the local building sites or worked as a warehouse labourer when the guvnor said lets drive less and spend more time parked up working transhipping loads handball at the hub .:bulb:

Ah yes this wonderful charmed life you’ve invented for me, again.

You and Janos do share one massive fault- the inability to see further than your own nose and failing to understand the concept that we are all different and all have different love and hates

#PeaceBeWithYou

Carryfast:
No one worked down in a coal mine or shut in a factory for the fun of the job or because they didn’t prefer the job of travelling around Europe on a continuous merry go round of freight or passenger journeys.

So you think everyone’s dream job is driving a truck round Europe?

yourhavingalarf:
See directly above…

That’s when it got humourless. :smiley:

Carry? Humourless? I suppose anyone would be being called Geoffrey

‘He’s far from the first to seemingly have a problem with how I live.’
Its obvious that you divide opinion with your posts. You are like marmite. Some agree with you and think you are the demi-god of driving, whilst some probably think you are a cab happy talking head. I think if you have a big online presence, then it comes with the territory.
Regarding ‘really loving’ driving, I think if you told some haulage companies that, they would ride you like a seaside donkey.
It is a job of work, the perceived glamour is all in your head. That was the point I was trying to make in my post. I would not swap a moment in a sail boat, or on a mountain for a long drive in a truck, ever.

No perceived glamour here.
Love driving…make a living out of it.
End.

Do I love driving? Not really, I certainly don’t hate it. Ambivalent would probably describe it best. Attempting to get down the M5 south of Stroud today when every second vehicle appeared to be a campervan or caravan sorely tried my patience and had me hating it.

There’s not a lot I’d swap it for though in terms of being the captain of my own ship etc, and within reason pretty much pleasing myself as to how I do the work allocated to me.

I’ve been doing it over 30 years now and see it as kind of being with the same woman for the same length of time: perhaps the fiery passion has gone but there’s a deep attachment and genuine fondness coupled to a respect that I’d struggle to find with a new woman/career direction.

Janos:
Regarding ‘really loving’ driving, I think if you told some haulage companies that, they would ride you like a seaside donkey.

Still not read my original comment on this thread then… :unamused:

To assist you

Janos:
I would not swap a moment in a sail boat, or on a mountain for a long drive in a truck, ever.

Why is it a swap? Believe it or not it isn’t either/or. And guess what, I’ve spent a few ‘moments’ in a sail boat. Last time sailing this across the Bay of Biscay after exploring Channel Islands and Brittany. You’re that typical type that sees someone reveal something about themselves, I.e my former job, then think you know it all about people. Surprisingly common. Does it bug me? Nah, it’s a bit comical. Tho do find it completely baffling why you seem to think I don’t go on holiday. Why do you think that? Even after I’ve pointed out that it really isn’t the case, not by a long stretch.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
No one worked down a coal mine or shut in a factory for the fun of the job or because they didn’t prefer the job of travelling around Europe on a continuous merry go round of freight or passenger journeys.Or drove a scaffold truck around the local building sites or worked as a warehouse labourer when the guvnor said lets drive less and spend more time parked up working transhipping loads handball at the hub .:bulb:

Ah yes this wonderful charmed life you’ve invented for me, again.

You and Janos do share one massive fault- the inability to see further than your own nose and failing to understand the concept that we are all different and all have different love and hates

I was actually making the point that many people aren’t doing awful jobs by choice and because they enjoy doing them.
Likewise there just ain’t enough of the good stuff for everyone that wants it. :bulb:

What a beautiful day for a spot of driving.
Amesbury…here I come :sunglasses:

Carryfast:
I think anyone over 60 who is unemployed should automatically be shifted from UC to early retirement on reduced state pension and the pension age should be brought back to at least 65 preferably 60.

I guess you would be happy to pay all the extra tax to pay for this then…

Better to reduce the pension age to meet the school leaving age.

“What - EVERY Thursday?”

I used to love doing the ultra long-haul European work back in the day but now work is just a means to an end, working in the Winter and taking the Summer off, in fact I finish my present job this Friday (and would have finished a few weeks ago but I need to get my boat into the dry dock for blacking and other under-the-waterline work and I couldn’t get a slot until 22nd April) and then I’ll just be out narrowboating until my savings run out. Going to go to the Caldon Canal first and then Llangollen I think, although plans are always liable to change as time progresses.

I’ve been working for a nice firm but the work is repetitive and a bit tedious so I’d say I tolerate it rather than love it.

commonrail:

You sir are a madman. You deserve to be sectioned. No one in their right mind enjoys their work. NO ONE

Santa:

Carryfast:
I think anyone over 60 who is unemployed should automatically be shifted from UC to early retirement on reduced state pension and the pension age should be brought back to at least 65 preferably 60.

Better to reduce the pension age to meet the school leaving age.

“What - EVERY Thursday?”

In his defence he’s not actually been one for paying much tax

Ahh. But now of an age to benefit from the lowering of pension age he suggests, I wonder?
I wonder if he is for more taxes, this scheme requires or less?
More Gov interventions in pensions or less?
Or maybe he has “cone to terms” with simultaneously wanting opposite things?

Santa:

Carryfast:

To be fair removing the married tax allowance so that single people aren’t ripped of both at work and funding their retirement would be good in that regard.

While your logic translates as let’s base our retirment regime effectively on the basis of work until we die to save wage costs for the employers.
So who’s going to get the job the unemployed 60 something or 20-30 something.Do those starting out in life need the competition for jobs with workers who should be enjoying their retirement.

Although my experience is younger workers wanting all the easy work that older infirm workers need and avoiding anything that means a bit of hard work and no compulsion on employers to adjust duties to suit older workers.To the point where 20 somethings are sitting on a supermarket till.While 60 somethings are expected to work in the warehouse shifting pallet and cage loads around and shelf stacking and the Jobcentre advisors agree with me.
I’m glad that you are enjoying your tax break at the expense of those who’ve paid more than enough into the system and who should be out of the workplace.

switchlogic:

commonrail:

You sir are a madman. You deserve to be sectioned. No one in their right mind enjoys their work. NO ONE

It’s a dirty job…

For Amesbury good Sir , did you enlighten your presence at TJ Morris t/a Home Bargains ?

Carryfast:
I was actually making the point that many people aren’t doing awful jobs by choice and because they enjoy doing them.
Likewise there just ain’t enough of the good stuff for everyone that wants it. :bulb:

The “good stuff” is reserved for an exclusive inner circle of elite drivers whose faces fit. It’s a very closed and shadowy clique, shrouded in mysticism, whose members instantly recognise each other through secret symbols and unanimously agree to restrict the riff-raff to dustcart driving and the like while we chosen few mop up all the Athens and Casablanca trips. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

The “good stuff” is reserved for an exclusive inner circle of elite drivers whose faces fit. It’s a very closed and shadowy clique, shrouded in mysticism, whose members instantly recognise each other through secret symbols and unanimously agree to restrict the riff-raff to dustcart driving and the like while we chosen few mop up all the Athens and Casablanca trips. :wink:

19042581-76BA-4CD4-A8B6-96A0F009B858.jpeg

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

Oh no!
They’ll all be showing up asking for jobs now.

(Just don’t tell them it’s gotta be tattooed on your forehead)