Do you read/buy classic lorry mags?

fryske:

ramone:
I was unloading at a landfill site this morning and found a 17th may 1963 copy of Commercial Motor amongst the crap i liberated it but as i looked for more a machine came over and buried everything so i will never know if there were more.The magazine as a road test of a 8 wheeler Seddon tipper with a 150 Gardner and a 6 speed Brown box top speed 44 mph.Another gem was Atkinson Vehicles are now fitting as standard quilted bonnet covers and they are also available at an extra cost to vehicles already in service.There`s a section on new companies and what capital they have started with .The classifieds are something else

Get it scanned!

I dont have a scanner just a laptop and limited intelligence on how to use it,i had loads of the CM magazines from the late 60s early 70s years ago but was told to “sling `em” as they took up too much room … mothers eh!!!

I sometimes buy these mags, but they are getting a bit over priced for what they are showing, I also have about 20 Headlights, Between 1959 & 1999 The latter most likley the last issue, these were far more interesting to read, a real drivers mag. A mate of mine has got 100s of old CMs dating way back. I have one from 1977, Regards Larry.

1957, & just look at the price. Regards Larry.

The 1999 issue , it wont come on here for some reason ?, but heres another Headlight Book Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I sometimes buy these mags, but they are getting a bit over priced for what they are showing, I also have about 20 Headlights, Between 1959 & 1999 The latter most likley the last issue, these were far more interesting to read, a real drivers mag. A mate of mine has got 100s of old CMs dating way back. I have one from 1977, Regards Larry.

Larry, I have been searching for a paeticular edition of Headlight for years, I do not know which issue it was, but it has a Foden on the front cover - It was the first truck (Lorry in those days) to go on the M1 when they cut the tape at the official opening - It was clocked at 70 mph. It was the show lorry at the Earls Court motor show of that year, and it had a white steering wheel & chromed gear stick. Ron Carman of Carmans Transport (now known as Brit European) bought it & my Dad put through the wall of a house at Bridge in Kent on the old A2 one Good Friday returning solo from Dover trying to avoid an oncoming car in the P*ssing rain.

Don’t suppose you have that 1 amongst your collection eh??

Sorry I dont have that one, this is the only one with a Foden on the front cover, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Sorry I dont have that one, this is the only one with a Foden on the front cover, Regards Larry.

Aah Well - thanks for Looking Larry - You never know, someone on here may have a copy - Never ceases to amaze me the stuff that turns up on here, specially Bubb’s box of tricks !!

Christ CVC has plumbed it’s lowest depths: Not content with more A to Z crap, they ruin the looking back feature with foreign photos and there’s more “found abroad” nonsense. From what is on TNUK, there’s plenty of resources without using endless pics of rotting Berliets etc. This thread should be forwarded to CVC…

Muckaway:
Christ CVC has plumbed it’s lowest depths: Not content with more A to Z crap, they ruin the looking back feature with foreign photos and there’s more “found abroad” nonsense. From what is on TNUK, there’s plenty of resources without using endless pics of rotting Berliets etc. This thread should be forwarded to CVC…

I’ve not seen it - but aren’t any Berliets classic or vintage now?

fryske:

Muckaway:

I’ve not seen it - but aren’t any Berliets classic or vintage now?

From what I saw in WHSmith (looked, didn’t buy) there seems to be an overkill of “found in France” type features. Plenty of ads and readers waffle as usual.

‘Epic French Finds’, sorry they may be epic and facinating to some people but a rusting hulk doesn’t do much for me whether its French, Russian, Dutch or British. I’m still waiting for the punchlines from the Tales from the Workshop stories, not rivetting stuff at all! The saving grace is the Close up on Classics, at least there is some technical stuff to go with the articles. I think CVC would struggle without Peter Davies contributions. Franky.

Cvc gets worse every month. There’s nothing hardly worth looking at this month. The only decent thing in it is the classifieds. Heritage commercials is a better magazine altogether , the Classic Truck bit is spot on. Cvc is too dear for what’s inside I don’t mind the odd yanky wagon in but all that foreign stuff doesn’t interest me at all, just a waste of paper and ink !

Evening all, you know if you have copies from “long ago”, relating to CVC, and Heritage, you can really discern the lack of both , journalistic ability, and more importantly , enthusiasm for the subject. Even the much maligned Nick Larkin, had more about him than the current CVC editor. And as for the Editor, (and contributors, to Heritage for they are a pretty poor, and inaccurate lot, and seemingly imbibed with large egoes) , well they would have achieved something if they could carry the notebooks of Pete Kelly, he was not a lorry man, but he was a journalist, and he could put a magazine together!! Hey, even his succesor really "loved "the subject. And you lot ,lay off Nick Baldwin, he is contributing to a brief, he actually knows, and is able to produce far more than editorialy he is allowed to, and if you search out his articles for Truck , Commercial Motor, and other publications, you may be amazed at his depth of knowledge, or envious of it! The fact that there appears to be such a lack of contentment with what the magazines provide, could it be that the owners and publishers regard lorry people as real “thickoes”, and easily satisfied? (and parted from their money), Perhaps we will never really know!! Cheerio for now.

I couldn’t be arsed to look; is the snooze inducing transport cafe feature still limping along? I did notice that, the cover feature took several pages of another history lesson before the actual vehicle was described…I forgot to see how much longer the terminally ill A to z has left to run.

Its having a ‘P’, Bob! So plenty left to go, it will take twelve months to get through S.

Guess this thread proves you cant please everyone.

Im a subscriber to both cvc and heritage. cvc used to be my favourite,but i like it less since the nick larkin days as there is lots of waffle now as stated.

regarding the A-Z for the couple of pages it fills i quite enjoy it,as it reminds me of looking through observers books when i was young learning of different truck makers.

As saviem says above Nick Baldwin is a well regarded and clued up guy who has restored or saved and passed on for resto many an old vehicle.i remember seeing a talk he did at a show,i bet hes an ecccentric character but he seemed to know his stuff,and it was an enjoyable hour or two.

i also enjoy the shots of trucks rotting in foriegn fields as i would probably never see them any other way.id rather look at a rusting hulk than a fully restoted ott show motor,although i will add thats probably just me being odd!

we should really be happy there are so many different titles available for us,and if you dont like whats in them tell them,or offer articles or technical help,i would imagine they would welcome you as i bet they havent great budgets.

Frankydobo:
I’m still waiting for the punchlines from the Tales from the Workshop stories, not rivetting stuff at all! Franky.

Same here Frank :confused: A complete waste of a page, Just as well do a bit about ‘Tales of the Riverbank’ with Johnny Morris! I’m sure it would be less monotonous :neutral_face:

Trev.

Muckaway:
I couldn’t be arsed to look; is the snooze inducing transport cafe feature still limping along? I did notice that, the cover feature took several pages of another history lesson before the actual vehicle was described…I forgot to see how much longer the terminally ill A to z has left to run.

Yes mate the “snooze inducing” cafe feature, as you put it, is still limping along, and livened up a little this month by some bloke from Yarmouth, can’t think who that could be though.

haddy:

Muckaway:

Yes mate the “snooze inducing” cafe feature, as you put it, is still limping along, and livened up a little this month by some bloke from Yarmouth, can’t think who that could be though.

Can you edit the A to Zzzzzzz so it can be finished next month?

I bought “Classic Truck” today, issue 1 and I reckon it’s great. It’s quarterly at the moment but I think this creates interest and should do away with the need for pointless waffle to pad the mag out like CVC. Think of Truck magazine combined with Heritage Commercials. I’d recommend it and if you’ve read my comments regarding truck mags, that’s all the praise it needs.
:wink: :laughing: