Do you nod while at the wheel?

I don’t mean a full blown sleep but does your head drop ?

i am currently working nights and have the dreaded nod at the same time every morning

any tips or advice but please dont say the words red bull

In the good old days you could fire yourself up by increasing your speed,adrenalin or if you felt tired open the window and get a blast of cold air now I would have thought since you know roughly when your going to feel yourself nodding pull up and have a walk round,check your wheelnuts.

I did a stint on night and had the same problem, it always happened between 2 and 3 in the morning, so I used to pull up and have a 15 minute power nap at about this time. Set the alarm on my phone for 15 mins and jump on the bunk.

Other than that, I tried noice, red bull, head out of window, unfortunately nothing fixes tiredness like sleep…

If i can i try and stop at services for a 15, go in a get something to eat, bit of fresh air etc, only get the nod as such in the mornings… Of an evening though if im tired my driving gets really ■■■■ and as soon it happens will start thinking about parking up if poss.

never nodded at the wheel but when done nights I’ve always had bar of choc, some coca cola and fizyy haribo. for tail end of shift.

lol @ checking my nuts i never thought of that one lol

i start at 11pm and my last drop is around 6.30 am and then 1 half hr drive back to depot

its then when it hits me … i guess this night work is a dif game

thetastytrucker:
lol @ checking my nuts i never thought of that one lol

I thought that was an arrestable offense :grimacing:

happens to me sometimes my advice if it’s not possible to pull over is put the heating on cold and the blower on max turned towards your feet ,works for me as i have never been able to sleep with cold feet

When I drove through the night and I felt tired, I would pull off the motorway at next junction and guess my way to the following junction. Surprising how alert you become when ‘lost’.
Only time I ballsed it up is coming down M1, I came off. Got back on what I thought was M1 south only to find it was M6 West. Came down fosse way instead.

15 min power-nap then a strong coffee…

Still nodding after that and Pro-Plus can be a life-saver (Literally)

War Pigs,Paranoid,Freebird,Stairway to Heaven,Born to be Wild,Highway to Hell,Alright Now,Copperhed Road,20th Century Boy. Will all stop you nodding at the wheel, they’ll make you Head Bang instead. :smiley:

Not joking here but singing!

Get a tune on you like and sing along loudly. because your tired your breathing slows down, by singing you open up your lungs abit and concentrate on the words.

Works a treat :slight_smile:

Also chewing as you can’t fall asleep while eating

thetastytrucker:

i am currently working nights and have the dreaded nod at the same time every morning

To many times to mention, but this works…

As you cannot move much while sitting in the sadle start pumping your shoulders as if you are rowing, start slow and gradually increase the speed/pressure as you loosen up and keep this up for a good 5 min’s.
Head you can start moving from side to side at the same time while looking forward.

Dodgy Permit:

thetastytrucker:

To many times to mention, but this works…

As you cannot move much while sitting in the sadle start pumping your shoulders as if you are rowing, start slow and gradually increase the speed/pressure as you loosen up and keep this up for a good 5 min’s.
Head you can start moving from side to side at the same time while looking forward.

Do i have to paddle lol but thanks :laughing:

i also wire myself up to the tune in radio app and blast some tunes in my ears

Pansie Division:
Not joking here but singing!

Get a tune on you like and sing along loudly. because your tired your breathing slows down, by singing you open up your lungs abit and concentrate on the words.

Works a treat :slight_smile:

Also chewing as you can’t fall asleep while eating

aye agree wi this …window down singing at top of your voice…

The best advice I could give you & anyone else that does it, pack the job in before you kill yourself or someone else. Simples the 10 - 20 second kip or nod can cost you the rest of your life or maybe 10 years of it behind bars. Take care & a Merry Christmas to you all.

I find if I’m tired caffiene will have the reverse effect it’s meant to

claretmatt:
I find if I’m tired caffiene will have the reverse effect it’s meant to

Matt, what claret are you? Burnley? :open_mouth: :unamused: :sunglasses: who calls you clare? :grimacing: :grimacing:

I drove nights for many years a long time ago & the only advice I would give you is to make sure you respect your need for sleep. It took me a long time to get used to nights, I remember stopping in every services & going in to wash my face to freshen myself up coming down the M6 one night because I was having problems. I only worked and slept when I first started nights, but I always made sure I got my sleep.

Several chaps I worked along side on nights would regularly brag about what they’d been doing during the day but I used to prioritise on getting my sleep. What ever you do, put safety first & if you need to sleep, pull over for a few minutes & bugger the schedule.

I’d also suggest you eat somethnig light and easy to digest during your shift, eating the wrong things can possibly make you drowsy because your system is working overtime trying to digest it.

BB

No, but sure felt like it today,(pulled in + had an hour)stuck behind a queue on N10 north in france, 80kph and no overtaking for a few 100k’s.:frowning: