Do you like the firm you work for

After reading this I wondered if many on here felt the same about the firm they work for, why that is, and why they don’t just change jobs.

The guy says he ‘despises’ his firm, that’s pretty bad, but by the same token wtf do they expect if firms treat their drivers like children, agitate them with all this trivial ‘compliance’ ■■■■■■■■ …for no real reason other than to justify their created well paid ‘non job’. :unamused:

Another thing that severely ■■■■■■ off good and proper drivers is the way they are just treated like the d/heads on the firm who are employed alongside them.

All this sort of stuff just builds up, and they fail to see it’s counter productive in respect of a ■■■■■■ off driver ain’t going to do a jot more for them other than what his job entails.
Other aspects…Christmas for instance, always perks and parties for management, but the far end of f.all for the drivers.
Anybody feel this way?

Me? I like the job I do, and give 100% to it, as I’ve done with every other.
The firm I work for ?..I’ll just say ‘‘No comment’’ . :smiley:

We change over time. The companies we work for change too.
We may be happy when we start somewhere, but are fed up later down the line. It’s a gradual grind then one day, you suddenly realise you’re pee’d off. That maybe how someone ends up in a bad (for them) job.
Anyways, I’m quite happy where I am thanks. Left to get on with what is varied work.
Any problems I get to talk with the boss himself. (He doesnt always agree with me, but he does listen).
Christmas box, and a nice bonus.

Better salary would be nice…but…

robroy:
After reading this I wondered if many on here felt the same about the firm they work for, why that is, and why they don’t just change jobs.

The guy says he ‘despises’ his firm, that’s pretty bad, but by the same token wtf do they expect if firms treat their drivers like children, agitate them with all this trivial ‘compliance’ ■■■■■■■■ …for no real reason other than to justify their created well paid ‘non job’. :unamused:

Another thing that severely ■■■■■■ off good and proper drivers is the way they are just treated like the d/heads on the firm who are employed alongside them.

All this sort of stuff just builds up, and they fail to see it’s counter productive in respect of a ■■■■■■ off driver ain’t going to do a jot more for them other than what his job entails.
Other aspects…Christmas for instance, always perks and parties for management, but the far end of f.all for the drivers.
Anybody feel this way?

By and large, our place is ok. Maybe it’s because I’m on nights and pretty much left alone. I try my hardest not to get involved in all the driver politics rubbish that goes on. Turn up, do job, go home. Keeps things simple.

But the one thing that really ■■■■■■ me off is there are drivers who can and drivers who cant. And those who cant are mollycoddled beyond belief. Given easy jobs with early finishes etc etc. That bit might not bother me so much, but behind managements back they go round bragging at how easy the job is. Meanwhile, those of us who can, do. And we get stuck with the awkward stuff. The long jobs, the late finishes, the tight yards, the multi drops etc.

This of course creates bad feeling amongst drivers, and like I said, I stay out of drivers politics as much as I can. But the lazy arse crap drivers coasting along and being carried by me (and others) is the one thing that seriously makes me consider leaving.

I work for a decent firm and I enjoy my job which is relatively easy, good relationship with the office and we’re just left to crack on with our deliveries. It’s not the best paid but it certainly isn’t the worst and the shifts suit me, 4 on 4 off but I mostly do 5 on 3 off and I usually do 1 or 2 overnights and sometimes I’m out all week which suits me better.
For me it’s all about balancing work life, home life and wages.
If I ‘despised’ a firm I worked for I certainly wouldn’t work there and it aint good for your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of hate mine. Maybe looking around after the new year.
Is a smallish company couple.blokes in office 4 trucks.

Bad points

Fella.in charge always speaks.down to us
Can’t ornagise anything
Always want more and.more from you.
Not had pay rise for 2 years

Good.points
Jobs we do are easy to do
Once leave yard more or less left alone never hear from anyone unless there’s any problems
Fridays. Usually finish around 4
We shut down 24th dec untill 2nd jan

Nite Owl:

robroy:

Anybody feel this way?

By and large, our place is ok. Maybe it’s because I’m on nights and pretty much left alone. I try my hardest not to get involved in all the driver politics rubbish that goes on. Turn up, do job, go home. Keeps things simple.

But the one thing that really ■■■■■■ me off is there are drivers who can and drivers who cant. And those who cant are mollycoddled beyond belief. Given easy jobs with early finishes etc etc. That bit might not bother me so much, but behind managements back they go round bragging at how easy the job is. Meanwhile, those of us who can, do. And we get stuck with the awkward stuff. The long jobs, the late finishes, the tight yards, the multi drops etc.

This of course creates bad feeling amongst drivers, and like I said, I stay out of drivers politics as much as I can. But the lazy arse crap drivers coasting along and being carried by me (and others) is the one thing that seriously makes me consider leaving.

The problem you have with lazy drivers and their politicking is probably the worst problem to have, because it’s the one problem you can pretty much guarantee you will face everywhere.
To answer the question, I like the company I work for. They have always been good to me, the workload is spread pretty fairly and the job is pretty easy most of the time. Only real downside would be the pay, but I guess we probably all think that sometimes

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Absolutely love where I’m at to the point I have it written into my agency contract that’s the only place I’ll work. Just a shame they’ve stopped taking agency on at the moment.

Work is easy, trucks decently maintained and well specced even though they’re fleet motors, no expecting to be run bent, every run planned over 12.5hrs is planned as a night out, you get told what you’re doing the day before and it very rarely changes. Agency treated exactly the same as their own drivers both by the management and the drivers as many of their permanent have come through agency over the years. Most of the agency are regulars and drivers trustworthy so there’s little worry about stuff you leave in the cab going walkabout. Day drivers whose unit it is know that they can leave sweets, cash, map books, anything in the cab and it’ll be there in the morning after the night drivers have finished. Pays the best in the county for agency, pays even more if you get taken on plus because its a large company that has nothing to do with haulage other than running its own fleet to shift its own stuff they have generous bonus, sick pay and pensions as well as doing stuff like having a big annual Xmas party.

Downsides for some is that you’ve Microlise and you are expected to do the job their way and it is fairly H&S heavy but then again they’ve had some bad accidents which are what triggered a particular thing and some of the H&S is actually forced on them from external suppliers to be used when visiting their sites. But I’m quite happy to put up with that to drive in decent wagons doing a fairly stress free job and getting paid well for doing it.

I’ve come to the conclusion over the years that the best jobs in truck driving are definitely in companies where they don’t make their money from the trucks.

I’m fine with mine. Have good days/weeks and bad days/weeks but cant have it my way every time. Yeah sure theres stuff that I look at and think “why” with regard to planning but I try not to think about it and just be a doer rather than a thinker.

On the other hand it’s two minutes from my house, pays well enough for me and you’re rarely pushed which is against the trend for general.

Yes.
Steady as…and good money.

Happy-ish with my current employer but needs must at present, my hobby is quite full on and i have at last found a job that lets me do 6-3 ish mon-fri but this obviously has an effect on the wage i earn…

Trucks/trailers aren’t new but are looked after and the work is ■■■■ easy.

Oh and one last thing >>>Three cheers for all those high earning wives out there [emoji106][emoji106]

[emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No.

truckertang:
Oh and one last thing >>>Three cheers for all those high earning wives out there

Lucky ■■■■■■■

amen to that… :sunglasses: :laughing:

My company was a small business that was sold by the owner and now its 3 times the size it once was. This brings on the levels of corporate BS that seems to breed as a business grows. Its still a good place to work and the MD’'s door is always open if you have a problem. We are paid very well for the area we live in (time and half after 40 hours and doule time on sundays) and the work is own account so no need to bust a gut.
I really enjoy working there and today we have shut down for xmas and we have been given Monday 23rd off as an extra days holiday fully paid…a nice little touch. In return we are expected to work in some atrocious conditions on building sites and no matter the weather we have to work…if its cold we get cold…if it rains we get wet. But all in all i’d class this as a good company to work for.

commonrail:

truckertang:
Oh and one last thing >>>Three cheers for all those high earning wives out there

Lucky [zb]

Yep, maybe I should have aimed for money instead of stunning good looks. :laughing:

robroy:

commonrail:

truckertang:

Lucky [zb]

Yep, maybe I should have aimed for money instead of stunning good looks. :laughing:

I got both……………… eventually :smiley:

msgyorkie, are you on the concrete pumps by any chance…?

m.a.n rules:
msgyorkie, are you on the concrete pumps by any chance…?

No mate. Site Cabins

Conor’s basically just described the place I work (via agency) at the moment. They make their own product and transport it. Most drivers have been there years, staff turnover is low because the pay is good. You’re not rushed and they have a modern fleet. Mon-Fri only, unless you WANT to work a weekend. Early starts, but the hours seem to fly by when I work earlies, and you’re paid extra.

If they took me on permanently then I’d be very happy… BUT… it would have to be doing class 1 tanks for them. I do class 2 for them at the moment and the handball is very physically demanding.

Obviously agency work has its drawbacks, but one huge advantage it has is that you can pick and choose work to a certain degree, or at least you can say if you will or won’t work at such and such a place again. Own account work is generally better but I’m quite happy with the job I’m on at the moment on an ongoing basis for a Rugby-based hire and reward haulier, they are nice people, the working day is generally 8-9 hours, they leave me alone to get on with the job and although their operating systems are safe, they aren’t full of totally unnecessary health and safety BS.