Do you know what this old leyland model is?

This old 6x4 truck runs from out west of Nairobi to Mombassa and is of a fleet of 22 still running, the boss does the maintenance and also has some leyland 4x2 with Albion day cabs I think Beavers ,they dont have albion badges on em will get some pics of them, the drivers have a reputation for on time ,safe driving and no damage with these old trucks ,its difficult to catch em for a photo , and standing on the highway is a risking business in Kenya.They pick up in mombassa containers for west Kenya and Uganda ,more than likely delivered to Tilbury with an 09 autopilot scania or the like. :exclamation: :exclamation:

isnt it a type of hippo?. have seen them out in kenya myself in 2002 they stil going?.

isnt it a type of hippo?. have seen them out in kenya myself in 2002 they stil going?.

toureg123:
This old 6x4 truck runs from out west of Nairobi to Mombassa and is of a fleet of 22 still running, the boss does the maintenance and also has some leyland 4x2 with Albion day cabs I think Beavers ,they dont have albion badges on em will get some pics of them, the drivers have a reputation for on time ,safe driving and no damage with these old trucks ,its difficult to catch em for a photo , and standing on the highway is a risking business in Kenya.They pick up in mombassa containers for west Kenya and Uganda ,more than likely delivered to Tilbury with an 09 autopilot scania or the like. :exclamation: :exclamation:

toureg123, sorry but I dont know what truck it is,but Kudos to the driver.
95% of UK drivers would brick two back to backs.
I only did it once,tipped the back one & was told I had an hour to turn round.
15 minutes later,we were drinking coffee.
Thanks Bernie, ex shunter Atlas Express Rotherhithe. You taught me well & I took notice.

Looks like a Scammell Highwayman 1960’s

G’day,
It’s definatly not a Scammell,I reckon it’s a late model as in 1960’s,70’s Supper Hippo or Hippo,but as the text below says it’s called a Buffalo in some markets. Interesting that this model was made up until 1979 when it was replaced by the Land Train,so realy it’s possably not as old as it looks. Great find mate,wish I could get a few pics myself

These two are earlier versions with single headlights

These look like a later model

Hope this helps Cheers Jamie

Hi NZ Jamie ,the trucks are badged Leyland Diesel like the photo , so i think you are right , sorry for late reply just got home , had no connectionwere i was .Will put up the albion day cabbed leylands when i go back , they are 4x2 .

Either a Hippo or Super Hippo as posted above many of them went out to Africa

That’s one of Gordon’s Super Hippos.

He has (or had) a load of them in varying states of (dis)repair. Alonside those are a number of Ergo-cabbed Beavers and some of W&J Ridings LAD cabbed Beavers too.

hi everyone, there is a video about this company Rongai, they run from the tea plantations to Mombasa docks, it s an excellent video gives the full history of the company, started by an english man and his family in the 40-50ty’s, did all the repairs in own work shop, if you think of sid harrison with his scamells,Rongai is run on the same lines but with leyland hippos, bumper