Do you have to tell your car insurer you've had an accident

Do you have to tell your car insurer you’ve had an accident in your work truck? Never happened to me before and scared my car insurance will get silly.

Cheers.

Don’t know… I’ve never told them… :sunglasses:

If we are involved in a avcident our companies insurers write to us to say we should inform our own insurers.

same here, don’t tell them, that’s what work insurance is for.

I haven’t and wouldn’t tell them, not only because I don’t think it’s relevant to driving a car but I’ve also never been told the outcome of the fault/cost of a claim.

I think you have to be sensible about this, its one thing putting a scratch on a trailer or cracking a mirror whilst backing into somewhere tight.

However anything that happens on the road, especially involving a third party you would be well advised to let your insurer know.

We regularly have to sign off at work about any pending convictions etc during our regular licence checks, part of signing off is to report any accidents whatsoever, even in our own vehicles.

Would you want to risk an insurer or third party coming after you for a multi million pound claim following your failure to disclose, which has just given your own insurer the perfect get out of gaol free card.

Most emphatically, yes you do!
I fell foul of this one some years ago, and it cost me a lot of money, as my insurer declined to pay a claim as I had not told them of an accident while driving someone else’s car.
And more recently, I had a minor scrape in my Range Rover, then tried to insure my second car, to be told that I had failed to tell them about the bump in the RR, although it was insured with a different company.
That cost an extra £40 on my premium.
Insures look for an escape clause, and believe me, they will find out.

Juddian:
I think you have to be sensible about this, its one thing putting a scratch on a trailer or cracking a mirror whilst backing into somewhere tight.

However anything that happens on the road, especially involving a third party you would be well advised to let your insurer know.

We regularly have to sign off at work about any pending convictions etc during our regular licence checks, part of signing off is to report any accidents whatsoever, even in our own vehicles.

Would you want to risk an insurer or third party coming after you for a multi million pound claim following your failure to disclose, which has just given your own insurer the perfect get out of gaol free card.

Why would anyone come after you when any claim or pay out would be done via the fleet insurance of the truck you had a accident in?

You own personal insurance has nothing to do with your truck insurance. Any convictions and this is different because one driving license applies for every category of vehicle you drive.

I’m pretty sure if you were silly enough to run to your own insurance company they wouldn’t hesitate to bump up your premiums as a good will gesture

emmerson2:
Most emphatically, yes you do!
I fell foul of this one some years ago, and it cost me a lot of money, as my insurer declined to pay a claim as I had not told them of an accident while driving someone else’s car.
And more recently, I had a minor scrape in my Range Rover, then tried to insure my second car, to be told that I had failed to tell them about the bump in the RR, although it was insured with a different company.
That cost an extra £40 on my premium.
Insures look for an escape clause, and believe me, they will find out.

This is completely different though as its car to car insurance. Car insurance doesen’t cover a truck.

keep your trap shut

Edited :blush:

NewLad:
I haven’t and wouldn’t tell them, not only because I don’t think it’s relevant to driving a car…

Well, as long as you don’t think it’s relevant, let’s not worry about what the insurance companies think. NewLad doesn’t think it’s relevant. :unamused:

OP, the answer to your question is yes. Insurance is there to cover your arse. Make sure they’re aware of everything because you can be sure if/when the ■■■■ hits the fan, they will try everything and anything to get out of paying out. If you fail to disclose something, you’re leaving your arse well and truly exposed.

ajt:

Juddian:

Why would anyone come after you when any claim or pay out would be done via the fleet insurance of the truck you had a accident in?

You own personal insurance has nothing to do with your truck insurance. Any convictions and this is different because one driving license applies for every category of vehicle you drive.

I’m pretty sure if you were silly enough to run to your own insurance company they wouldn’t hesitate to bump up your premiums as a good will gesture

For the simple reason insurers are no longer staffed by starched collared clerks entering details into leather bound legers in fine italics via a quill pen, in those days the chances of your name being cross referenced were slim.

When you take out insurance you disclose ALL relevant facts, including any accidents or convictions.

By all means do as you wish, but be aware that your life’s accumulated wealth, including your house, could be taken from you for the sake of not disclosing something, not a risk i’ll be taking in these days of everything being online and shared between insurers.

If you don’t own a car would this mean you have no insurance ? :wink:

villa:
keep your trap shut

… if you want to take the chance of them refusing to pay out.

I declared my 2013 prang where I wrote off an FM9. Don’t think it bumped my premium up a deal if at all, on my van, car or bikes. Sooner pay a bit more premium than have it backfire on me and take the chance of a refused payout. The database is too comprehensive nowadays to gamble.

In all my years of driving a truck, during which I was involved in a fair few minor and one major accident, it never even occurred to me to tell my car insurance company.

These days, with sophisticated computer programs, I would think hard about it. I would certainly not tell them about the minor bumps and scrapes, as they will not be insurance claims anyway. At the other extreme I would have to tell them if someone was injured. Nowadays I suppose I would tell them if there was an insurance claim.

Hiya… when you take out insurance it asks if you,ve made a claim. not had an accident. to be honest
it was one of the reasons i give up trucking. if you was to have an incident with a coach full of Americans
and there payout wasn’t good enough you could get taken for every penny you own…the yanks know how
to squeeze money from people for a claim…saying that one american run into me when he was on holiday.
the truck i was driving was a bit mangled (still drivable)i hurt my back (with the radio that was fixed near
my left shoulder) when it stuck into me and made a cut and mark…just ask if they payed out…did they!!
wow it was a few hundred pounds for inconvenience more for the 3 weeks i had off (while the truck got stuck
together) but i had a demonstrator. it was almost a grand in 1976 and i asked for nothing they just payed me.

in todays expensive lifestyle i’d be up front and admit to everything…its up to you…don’t moan if you get caught
out though.
someone i know didn’t tell about 3 points he got on a motorbike (no L plate) when he had a car
stolen a couple of years later the £750 he agreed with the insurance to was reduced to £425. it was in a letter
saying the reason for the reduction.the 3 points… it was many years ago about 1990.
John

3300John:
Hiya… when you take out insurance it asks if you,ve made a claim. not had an accident.

Not anymore.

Nowadays, they often ask if you’ve had an accident in the last 5 years regardless of who was at fault and regardless of whether a claim was made.

They ask if you have had “ANY Accidents, Claims or Losses in the last 5 years, irrespective of blame”

So, yes you should tell them as it COULD be cross referenced and invalidate your policy (except third party cover)

Its not a legal requirement that you have to have car insurance to drive a company HGV so the idea that somebody claiming against a accident you had with a third party in your truck and then somehow coming after your own personal car insurer is a little far fetched.
If this was a legal requirement, any trucker who didn’t have their own valid car insurance would be driving uninsured in a works truck. Its simply not the case.

Insurance companies ask about accidents and convictions in the last 5 years etc: this is based on any claims made on your own insurance (risk factors). With truckers being on fleet insurance, you are not a named driver, you don’t have a no claims bonus or any entitlement to it and any claim is on block insurance not against you as a name personally. You are not the one who is making any claim or being claimed against.