Do you have to replace a missing digital tachograph card

Lost my digital tachograph at the weekend, droped my wallet at the weekend.

Cancelled bank cards etc…

I havent used my digital tachograph in awhile won’t be using it in the near future place i work only got analogues and prob gonna be on the dole in the new year anyway.

Ok have to report it missing and supposedly to pay for a replacement card since its been lost.

But do you have to replace it ?

What i was thinking was not going to be using in any digital tachograph vehicles in the near future Xmass is coming up got better things to spend my money on so do you have to replace it.

Its a mute point now, some nice person handed my wallet back the next day and i hadn’t informed the DVLA it was since i was waiting till Monday.

There’s nothing to say you have to replace a lost digi card, but you will of course be limited to driving vehicles with analogue tacho’s. If I was in your position I would replace it anyway.

Tiger.

Forgot to say when i got my wallet back digital tachograph was in it.

But was just wondering, i know it would limit me, but in the near future anyway wouldnt be a problem, trying to pay off some debts before the new year and got loads to spend because its xmass, thought be silly to spend money on a new card when i didnt need it.

Just wondering if that would have been ok, if got pulled would be on the computer as having a digital card etc…

Kenny1975:
Forgot to say when i got my wallet back digital tachograph was in it.

But was just wondering, i know it would limit me, but in the near future anyway wouldnt be a problem, trying to pay off some debts before the new year and got loads to spend because its xmass, thought be silly to spend money on a new card when i didnt need it.

Just wondering if that would have been ok, if got pulled would be on the computer as having a digital card etc…

Hypothetical scenario: How would you stand legally though say if your card had been taken and VOSA pulled some one one day for a check and they had your card in the machine? I thought you both got the blame, unless you report it to DVLA as stolen to cover your back? I dont know may be someone else has answer??

You are required to report the card being damaged, lost, stolen or malfunctioning within 7 days of that event happening. Although the legislation says ‘in writing’ DVLA will accept a phonecall for lost cards, but they ask for your debit card number fairly early on in the conversation :smiley: .

Haven’t found anything in the legislation that says you MUST replace a lost / stolen card. Just that you cannot drive a vehicle that is in scope of the EU / AETR drivers hours rules unless you possess a valid driver card.

If you have a digicard, you are required to carry it when driving, even if you’re not using it or haven’t used it within 28 days.

Conor:
If you have a digicard, you are required to carry it when driving, even if you’re not using it or haven’t used it within 28 days.

But what if you have lost it aqnd dont want to replace it.

The original question is a good one and it would be good to know the answer I have a digi card that I have used twice but I now drive paper tacho lorries so would it need to be replaced if it was lost like Kenny says?.

at least two drivers in Scotland were prosecuted for not carrying a digital card although driving analogue vehicles on the grounds that you must be able to show all driving for the last four weeks and if you are carded for digi as well you must carry it. Only way out would be to return the card and say that you wanted to surrender it and no longer have a digtial card. One of the drivers, caught by VOSA, had only had his digi card for about three days and had never needed to use it, but no excuse. DONE

Kenny1975 try not to keep your Digi card in your wallet with your credit cards, there have been reports of the magnetic strips on the C/cards effecting the digi card chip and rendering it useless, likewise dont keep it with any portable electronic kit you may carry, such as mobile phones, satnav, etc. as the electrical fields generated can play havoc with the digi chip. Ive met divers who have stuck the digi in the soft cases that they have for mobile phones & satnav for convienience, only to find their cards knackered. I personnelly am on my 3rd card due to chip malfunction. (1st wallet, 2nd gawd knows what bust it)

I was almost ready for ordering my 4th, as I left it in the tacho head last sunday (after ejecting it and printing off) on an agency job.
I only realised that I may have not got it when I booked in at security, and checked my bag at the transport office, I got that gawd awful feeling it wasnt there, and thoughts of me being sent home hit me. luckily when I started back tuesday on the same job it was handed in, however if I`d been sent somewhere else I would have been in the brown stuff

jammymutt:

Conor:

But what if you have lost it aqnd dont want to replace it.

The original question is a good one and it would be good to know the answer I have a digi card that I have used twice but I now drive paper tacho lorries so would it need to be replaced if it was lost like Kenny says?.

if you are issued a card then you must carry it when driving hgv it is an offence not to have the card with you

also if you was nether issued to you then you can not drive digi tacho vehicles

you have to inform DVLA as soon as possible as you can only do manual entries for 15 days

Also what happens next week if your truck is off the road and is replaced with a hire truck with a digi tacho?

Replace it and be more careful with your wallet :blush: