Do you have to do a printout after every shift?

hi ,was told i had to do a printout every time i finish my shift? is this right? im on agency and it was at hovis i thought you only did printouts if you had a infringment and had a written explanation like a manual entry /or your digi card was faulty, this happened to me and you use printouts for 15 days?
knobhead transport manager was swearing like mad when i dared say he was wrong! or am i? lol :open_mouth:

There is nothing in legislation to say you must do a printout everyday except for the reasons given above.

However if your TM wants a printout every day, give them one just to keep the peace

I only do one when Iā€™ve ā€˜infringedā€™, write my reason on it and keep it for 28 days.

i told him that ! he said he was gonna call vosa and report me and complain about me! swear down if its not bad enough been treated ā– ā– ā– ā–  cos ur on agency prick! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

If youā€™re on agency, and only doing odd days, itā€™s common sense for the TM to request a print-out after every shift. If there are any problems arising from your work (whether itā€™s your fault or not) then itā€™s the only way heā€™s got of covering both his ā– ā– ā–  and in fact yours. Drivers come and go at agencies, and one of the biggest bugbears in my day was getting tachos back from drivers; most were very good it has to be said, but the Law of Sod is that the one time you have an issue with a customer and you need that chart to sort it out, you try and contact the driver and find out heā€™s moved house, changed his mobile number or whatever, and then youā€™re stuffed.

It may not be law but as above if itā€™s company policy then just do it. Itā€™s no different to photo-copying an analogue tacho when allā€™s said and done.

gnasty gnome:
If youā€™re on agency, and only doing odd days, itā€™s common sense for the TM to request a print-out after every shift.

Surely you mean itā€™s totally pointless and makes no sense whatsoever for the TM to request a printout. Those printouts have no legal standing and are of even less use than toilet paper.

gnasty gnome:
If there are any problems arising from your work (whether itā€™s your fault or not) then itā€™s the only way heā€™s got of covering both his ā– ā– ā–  and in fact yours

Or the other only way he has got of covering all the asses involved is just to look at the downloaded data the company are obliged to do. At my last place the agency drivers downloaded at the end of every shift, there is a download thing cable tied inside the rota folder, so the boss has the data right there, and data that actually has some legal relevance. If teh agency guy is doing odd days then it is common sense to download after every shift.

slackeye:
hi ,was told i had to do a printout every time i finish my shift? is this right? im on agency and it was at hovis i thought you only did printouts if you had a infringment and had a written explanation like a manual entry /or your digi card was faulty, this happened to me and you use printouts for 15 days?
knobhead transport manager was swearing like mad when i dared say he was wrong! or am i? lol :open_mouth:

The TM is indeed stupid. He has forgotten that you must also take a printout at the completion of 45 minutes of break, if you have taken it in two parts, so you can explain why you did this by writing on the printout.

I hope this helps.

Because we run both digi and analog in our fleet, our management insist on printouts and paper tachos. I havenā€™t driven an analog vehicle in 4 months!

Bosses will always be bosses.

they do have a record cos i downloaded my card after every shift,prob burnt my bridges there now telling him he was wrong,im ex traffic officer blah blah ,worse thing about agency is learning how diff places do things its like starting at a diff job everyday,talked to like ā– ā– ā– ā–  ,think i was in a mood cos the bakery expect u to sit by the phone then call u at 9am can u come now! only liked it cos it was 15 min from my house ,i mean i wasnt even working he called asking me to go in cos they had lost my time sheet and printout then i get hassle from the idiot :astonished:

Coffeeholic:

slackeye:

The TM is indeed stupid. He has forgotten that you must also take a printout at the completion of 45 minutes of break, if you have taken it in two parts, so you can explain why you did this by writing on the printout.

I hope this helps.

:exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

slackeye:
they do have a record cos i downloaded my card after every shift,prob burnt my bridges there now telling him he was wrong,im ex traffic officer blah blah

Ah, thereā€™s the problem. Past experience on these boards shows that they are usually somewhat lacking in the tacho rules department.

I hope this helps.

only know the rules ,having sat thro induction days for agencys like 5 times a year! i should work for vosa :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

gnasty gnome:
If youā€™re on agency, and only doing odd days, itā€™s common sense for the TM to request a print-out after every shift.

Surely you mean itā€™s totally pointless and makes no sense whatsoever for the TM to request a printout. Those printouts have no legal standing and are of even less use than toilet paper.

gnasty gnome:
If there are any problems arising from your work (whether itā€™s your fault or not) then itā€™s the only way heā€™s got of covering both his ā– ā– ā–  and in fact yours

Or the other only way he has got of covering all the asses involved is just to look at the downloaded data the company are obliged to do. At my last place the agency drivers downloaded at the end of every shift, there is a download thing cable tied inside the rota folder, so the boss has the data right there, and data that actually has some legal relevance. If teh agency guy is doing odd days then it is common sense to download after every shift.

Point taken Neil. I confess Iā€™d overlooked the fact that heā€™d have done a download after the shift. :blush:

Mind you, the more ā€œpaper-savingā€ computer systems that companies install, the more paper they seem to go through; itā€™s a wonder thereā€™s any trees left on this planet!

gnasty gnome:

Coffeeholic:

gnasty gnome:

Point taken Neil. I confess Iā€™d overlooked the fact that heā€™d have done a download after the shift. :blush:

Youā€™re no fun, why didnā€™t you keep arguing and taken this to multiple pages. I donā€™t want to play with you any more, Iā€™m going home. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

gnasty gnome:
Mind you, the more ā€œpaper-savingā€ computer systems that companies install, the more paper they seem to go through; itā€™s a wonder thereā€™s any trees left on this planet!

Very true.

gnasty gnome:
If youā€™re on agency, and only doing odd days, itā€™s common sense for the TM to request a print-out after every shift. If there are any problems arising from your work (whether itā€™s your fault or not) then itā€™s the only way heā€™s got of covering both his ā– ā– ā–  and in fact yours. Drivers come and go at agencies, and one of the biggest bugbears in my day was getting tachos back from drivers; most were very good it has to be said, but the Law of Sod is that the one time you have an issue with a customer and you need that chart to sort it out, you try and contact the driver and find out heā€™s moved house, changed his mobile number or whatever, and then youā€™re stuffed.

It may not be law but as above if itā€™s company policy then just do it. Itā€™s no different to photo-copying an analogue tacho when allā€™s said and done.

You obviously know diddly squat about digital tachographs. The TM can just download all the data directly from the digi tacho head as they should be doing periodically. I used to do it at Stobarts once a week with a portable reader.

Conor:
You obviously know diddly squat about digital tachographs. The TM can just download all the data directly from the digi tacho head as they should be doing periodically. I used to do it at Stobarts once a week with a portable reader.

Obviously not as much as you; as youā€™ll note I admitted my oversight in my reply to Neil further down.

gnasty gnome:

Conor:

Obviously not as much as you; as youā€™ll note I admitted my oversight in my reply to Neil further down.

And Conor misses the point that downloading the VU doesnā€™t remove the obligation to download the cards.

Ignore him, he went on a driverā€™s hours course once and it was proved he was taught a lot of ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , heā€™s been angry ever since. :wink:

Everybody appears to be reading the old MMTM rules.

From the 1st of January 2008 it is a requirement to carry with you the current day and 28 previous days, not 15 days as mentioned in the OP

Red Bob did mention 28 days, but Coffeholic mentioned the ideal solution.

If a company is using agency drivers and there is no bod to download the card, then the company need to buy a reader and plug it into the drivers room or security hut.

The requirement to download the driver card lies with the operator of the lorry, not the agency, they have no legal rights to that information. The operator must also download the VU

If the operator wants a printout every day, there is nothing wrong in that as long as he is supplying you with enough printer roll to do so. If he wants you to wind the landing legs up and down three times, that is his prerogative.

The drivers card must be downloaded every 28 days, but it could be downloaded every day, it doesnā€™t get wiped clean. The VU must be downloaded every 56 days and again it stores the data in the head, even after download.

I am on a crusade to save digital roll paper in the industry :laughing:

A T Reehugger