Do you enjoy driving

I had my HGV licence forced upon me by HMG and I’ve grown to enjoy driving lorries. There are days when I honestly think “Oh really this ■■■■ again”

But generally I feel like I’m born to do it and thoroughly enjoy my job.

If only the roads were in better nick.

Well past enjoying it but its a pretty good job. Getting paid to listen to the radio all day.

Used to love it when I first started, it was a different job completely, a totally different vibe where drivers generally respected each other, plenty of parking places, no cab phones, no trackers :smiling_imp: , “ring me in a couple of days when you’re empty” :sunglasses:
As for today, too much unnecessary regulation, too many knobs on road in cars AND trucks :unamused: as well as in office, so much so that it’s got to the stage where the job bears no resemblance to when I started, but it’s ok some days, especially on2/3 day multi drop jobs (left alone) but I’m mostly on autopilot these days.

It was a good crack when I started but with all the crap and ■■■■ that’s put upon us now I can honestly say no.

I now drive to pay the bills nothing else. If I could hand the keys in and walk away i would

Before I vote’ what does meh mean?? :blush:

Yes, as long as I stay on nights. I love just tooling along with little to no traffic, getting in the scratcher when most are getting up. Downside is the roadworks that pop up, I just look upon the diversions as a challenge.

robroy:
Before I vote’ what does meh mean?? :blush:

Meh, it means “I couldn’t really care less one way or the other”

For clarity, I started the topic with actual driving in mind not the nonsense that comes with it, planners, tipping, RDCs and that.

I really enjoy it and after working in jobs I hated since I left school I honestly couldnt see myself doing anything else for a living.

Glad I’m not doing it any more and I’ve just started something to ensure I’ll never go back. I think the best days have long since gone and it is now a race to the bottom.

I do occassionally go for a drive to somewhere on a sunny day and for a moment think “would be a nice day to be out in a truck” but then I switch on Sally Traffic and the moment is gone.

not really I find it really boring after an hr im struggling to keep awake but it puts food on table , but I no longer drive hgv 1 as my licence was not renewed in 2007 due to having sleep apnea , so now I only drive my car if I have 2 and no long journeys ,

Better then sitting in a office with ■■■■■■■ you can’t stand and you gotta wear a suit and tie all day

Legend_Scania:
Better then sitting in a office with [zb] you can’t stand and you gotta wear a suit and tie all day

+1 I honestly don’t know how people stand office work, it would drive me daft in minutes.

Tipper Tom:

Legend_Scania:
Better then sitting in a office with [zb] you can’t stand and you gotta wear a suit and tie all day

+1 I honestly don’t know how people stand office work, it would drive me daft in minutes.

I sat in the office a few months back for a day as they wasn’t much work it drived me nuts

Hmmmmm I might come across as a bit of a weirdo here :laughing: I enjoy driving my lorry sit back listen to the radio watch life go by. In all honeslty you could put me in any city centre or road in the land and i wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

But I hate driving my car I really mean I hate it. Just about put up with driving to and from work but outside that I get buses/taxis and trains where possible into town and what not. Infact my new flat one of the biggest draws was it was a 5 minutes walk from a central line. I do around 4-5 thousand miles a year which is really low when you think about it. Where as I probably do around 60 thousand miles a year on dayshift in a truck :laughing:

Someone explain that? It’s not a recent thing either, I’ve always been like that. Girlfriend thinks am ■■■■■■■ nuts a lorry driver who doesn’t like driving.

I don’t care for all the b/s, the regulations, the politics and the aspects of job others dislike. I bloody love when I’ve left the yard though. Am quite happy in my little elevated position listening to the radio and just watching the world around me.

I can’t understand the people for whom it’s just a job, or actively dislike the job. Chose your cliche, we’re here for a good time not a long time, life is not a dress rehersal or whatever but if I found myself doing a job that I really hated, I’d do everything in my power to leave. The other option is if you really hate a way of life, or a job or anything really, don’t try and bring down those that do and are happy, which seems to be a popular thing on here to do.

Don’t enjoy it as much as I used to.Far too many rules and regs these days.But would sooner drive for a living than be stuck in an office/warehouse/labouring of which I’ve done in the past.

Conor:
Glad I’m not doing it any more and I’ve just started something to ensure I’ll never go back.

care to elaborate ?. :slight_smile:

gingo:

Conor:
Glad I’m not doing it any more and I’ve just started something to ensure I’ll never go back.

DCPC instructor at a guess , with him being chief advisor on here to take it EVERY time he deems something/somebody to be stupid :unamused: …speaking from experience :neutral_face:

gingo:

Conor:

Just started BEng (Hons) Electronics Engineering degree.

I do close to 9 hours driving every shift and I LOVE it in the lorry. Get bored driving the car though!