Do those Motorway cameras flash randomly?

Driving at 3am on the M1, went past J29a Markham Vale southbound and the camera flashed once after I passed through. I think it’s one of those Hadecs jobs, two yellow ones on the side.

I was doing 56mph past the gantry with no variable limit, got abit of downhill overspeed prior but I backed off to compensate, calculated that it took 194 seconds to cover the 5.3km between gantry cameras which would put me at 61mph, limiter is at 60mph/96kph.

There was a car that overtook me but he was a good 6-8 car lengths ahead of me.

Been racking my brains out as some say they don’t flash, others say they aren’t average cameras and don’t distinguish between a car/truck so 61 average wouldn’t affect it.

Clean licence for 14 years car/10 years HGV so just wondering if anyone here knows anything?

I have seen them flash once on various smart motorways with nothing in front to activate them. They do do self tests from something I read at certain intervals and they will flash. Can’t remember where I read it now mind.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Dont know if its true, but trainer at my cpc course said they use trucks now and again to self calibrate, as truck is usually going at a constant speed and a large object passing by! One flashed me last night, but was just 1 flash, not the 2 when its getting someone for exceeding the displayed speed limit… Was nothing on gantry when it flashed me.

Your be fine I’ve had it loads of times from them cameras on the slide of the gantry flash just the once with no speed displaying on the gantry and never heard anything even been double flashed by one on the m6 heading north just before junction 4a one night even with nothing displaying on the gantry loads of motors got double flashed in front of me I slowed down to 50mph and still a double flash never heard nothing thankfully

Had a few restless nights thinking about it. Don’t know why

Swordsy:
Dont know if its true, but trainer at my cpc course said they use trucks now and again to self calibrate, as truck is usually going at a constant speed and a large object passing by! One flashed me last night, but was just 1 flash, not the 2 when its getting someone for exceeding the displayed speed limit… Was nothing on gantry when it flashed me.

Now where you went wrong there was you listened to a CPC trainer [emoji1787]

At least half of them talk utter tripe lol

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Andrew.simmons:

once you have driven for a while you stop worrying about such things.

well i dont worry about such things anymore lol.

was going over the Orwell bridge in the daytime a while back and a tad faster than normal,mind on other things i happened to glance up at the 2 cameras as i passed them and the one for my lane defo blinked -but i heard nothing .How do they clean the camera lenses surely covered in dirt in no time

That one there does flash at random I’ve seen it a lot .btw they are not average speed cameras.

Andrew.simmons:

Sounds like you’ll be fine, I had one flash on the M4 near Bristol the other month I was going 52 with no speed limit showing and I kept the dash cam footage just in case but never heard anything.

Been double…

Flashed a number of times over the years on the M1. No other motorway, just the M1. Once I was doing 50 on cruise with no one around me at all and I got flashed southbound between J11 and J10.

Never had any tickets.

I’ve been single flashed plenty of times. Worried me the first couple of times, but it happens so often on the M1 & M25 that i don’t give it a second thought anymore.

I wondered if it was something to do with the adaptive cruise control forward facing radar interfering with the camera radar?

My advice would be not to worry.It is what it is.You sound like someone who values his license.
I would cross the bridge if and when it happens

They do seem to flash randomly, seen it many times all over the country. As long as you weren’t driving on the closed hard shoulder of a smart motorway??
They will flash the red x as well

simcor:
They do do self tests from something I read at certain intervals and they will flash.

This ^^^^^

I asked a HE operative on the phone one day, and that’s what he told me.

Ken.