Do small trailers need an annual test if on O'licence

As in Small trailers pulled by a van, when you are using them commercially?
I’ve been told we have to have the same safety inspection regime as with our larger vehicles, but do they need an annual test?

No test as yet ,but as with anything else inspection if it’s used on a o licence .

Thanks Dan.

I thought as much as they don’t have an ID number or plating certificate, but it’s good to get it confirmed from somebody with the experience of operating van and trailers.

All the trailers we have show the long I.d number on the weight plate ,on the inspection sheets I use the short number stamped out the neck ,vosa take down the long I.d number at the road side but the stolen plant people use the short number .

is this a manufacturers number? or a number on a DVLA database?
Never had a lot to do with small trailers, and never run one under an O’licence, I think I’ve got everything covered, trailer arrived this week, but not seen it yet as I’ve been working away. Still waiting for the van delivery date.

I believe the long number just to be the makers chassis one ,but it’s always that short number in the neck which gives the year away that the stolen plant people look at .( ifor williams anyway)

I’ll have a good look round it on Monday for id marks, the trailer is a Brian James covered car transporter. Got to get some security devices for it wheel locks and trackers for insurance purposes.

if it’s over 3500kg, it must be plated and tested (and have airbrakes)

If it’s Brian James it should have a long dot matrix looking number on the A frame side.

No way of testing over-run brakes sensibly is what’s preventing them being tested really.