Do paintjobs fade over time?

Saw this yesterday - lovely artistry, but it seemed a bit bleached out?

Thats why you should never buy a red car :laughing:

I hope it continues to fade.

That’s more lipstick on a pig.

To quote another member (whose name I can’t recall) - “It looks like its ram raided Halfords covered in glue!”

I quite like a tastefully tarted up lorry but there is just something tacky about some.

All personal taste I suppose.

If you notice all red vauxhalls over about 6yrs old the paintwork is completely dull, but it must be the type of paint they use as other different makes of cars aren’t as bad.

As for the truck in the pic, definitely artistic, and a lot of work has gone into it, no arguments there. Each to his own but not for me, I would be buying something like a fridge, and microwave instead if it was owner driven (ie something usefull) and/or giving a few extra quid to a driver I put on it.
Personally I would be embarrassed to be seen driving anything like that tbh…but each to his own thing etc etc.

At Tilcon we used Mercedes red and Dresden blue paint on the vehicles, both from Joseph Masons. The red faded after about three years but the blue never altered even after nearly 20 years in some cases. I restore vintage barn engines as a hobby, they were painted predominantly green by the factoies 80 + years ago in some cases, and the reason green was chosen was because it was the colour that retained its brilliance better at that time.

That thing in the pic looks awful! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Hi shandy. That truck is roughly 12 years old. I used to know a bloke who’s dad drove for Joe Sharp and that was his brand new. The spray job was to show the pirates of the Caribbean and that film came out in 2003. So I think it’s fair to say it may be a little bleached but I don’t remember it being much darker when it was new. It was never any deep shade of red just the metallic pink. As for the red fading fast I have been told by several barge painters that red is the worst colour you can choose for a paint job as it is the fastest to fade in sunlight. Guess what colour I wanted mine. Lol.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

And people say that there’s no money in haulage. There’s probably £20k in useless tat stuck to that truck.

Each to their own. If that’s what floats your boat.

My eyes hurt.

I thought this one was quite good, on a tipper in Barcelona, and yes paint jobs do fade over time, just like the missus an ■■■■■■■■ ! :wink:

old pc 271.jpg

one of the worst things for making paint fade or oxidise is traffic film remover, alot nowadays though are not as acidic as they were, but the cheaper ones or if used too strong it will still damage paintwork…

joe sharp’s paint job’s aren’t my cup of tea but they alway’s catch your eye on the m/way when in the opposite direction.

Was one of those gay boy paint job wagons not on YouTube recently doing something wrong?

An ex body shop paint sprayer former colleague of mine once told me that red paint never actually dries, which is why it fades, he did talk a load of old ■■■■■■■■ at times and he was also ginger.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

All paint fades with exposure to light, some colours just show it less. Red is hard work to keep shining, needs constant polishing.

That Joe Sharp motor is a 4series, so painted 15yrs ago?, of course it’s going to dull a bit in that time.

newmercman:
An ex body shop paint sprayer former colleague of mine once told me that red paint never actually dries, which is why it fades, he did talk a load of old ■■■■■■■■ at times and he was also ginger.

right and wrong, a few years ago the reds and base blue colours were called soft colours, was,nt so much that they didnt dry but were soft enough that if they were polished some of the surface would polish off… similar to the old tcut where the polish took the surface colour away… todays paint are different though…

ThrustMaster:
And people say that there’s no money in haulage. There’s probably £20k in useless tat stuck to that truck.

The most vocal tipper subbies around here have the most All Ride tat on their trucks and silly Facebook pages full of ■■■■■■■■. Those that have older grubbier motors with a nice coating of dust inside seem content to ignore such “opportunities” as a clay job where they do 6 a day for less than £60/load.
One of the biggest “no money in haulage” hauliers around here took 2x16 plate XFs 2x 64 plate XFs and an R580 (all dressed in CDCs finest tat) plus 3x fully restored AECs to a local show over the weekend. :unamused:

newmercman:

I trained as a Panel Beater / Paint Sprayer when I left school. It was a long time ago.

I was taught at college that cellulose never fully dried. Nobody uses cellulose nowadays though. The finish on that Scania is Clear over Base, the shine is provided by a Clearcoat or Lacquer. The Basecoat would be as flat as a Witches Mammary without it. Even modern water-based two packs will fade. Not if they are lacquered though, lacquer used to craze & yellow, but modern stuff is as tough as nails.

A few years ago I passed this, parked up near the old depot in Abingdon…must’be cost a bloody fortune, took yonks to spray and even longer to clean! Wonder if it’s still about?

m.a.n rules:
joe sharp’s paint job’s aren’t my cup of tea but they alway’s catch your eye on the m/way when in the opposite direction.

… Yeah I’ve noticed quite a few since seeing that one.