DO NOT use a66 tonight

Signs arent on but dont use the A66 tonight!! Major gale on the top.

3 trucks over inc one blocking westbound just now. No police etc on scene but 1 ambulance at one truck. Stay safe.

Was a wee tad brisk this afternoon but luckily did not get sent back up the road kept down in old yorkshire tonight.Is it not ment to be worse tomorrow.

yes, 60 to 70 mph gusts in places

Not long home, came up M6 from Manchester ,was a bit rough.

I was on the A35 between Exeter and Dorchester earlier cacking myself.

Even when the signs are up nobody takes any notice, i remember when there would be a copper at Scotch corner and Penrith physically stopping you if you were in a high sider, now they rely on an electronic board

A66 was finally closed and suspect it will be for hours. Setoff from Penrith and board was blank, plus was just a little breezy but nothing special so no warning about what was going on at the tóp.

By summit it got very windy rather suddenly, but road closed sign still not illuminated at gates. By this time the police already knew about a turnover of Jack Richards eastbound when i called them from summit and ambulance was just arriving from Penrith end so they’d known for a while. Plis they got a weather station.

Said they were planning to put HGV closure on it which i would have thought would be priority if it turning trucks over? There’d been a second one eastbound and one went over westbound as I was passing blocking the road. Hope drivers alright, couldnt stop safely and had rest of family on car.

Was a time when they put a closure on the sign even if it was forecast later on the day. Now they “plan” to do it sometime soon - its turned over 3 trucks now, how long does it take to set a ■■■■■■■ sign!? Very unimpressed.

Wonder how many police Penrith have on tonight. Hope they were all busy.

I came over it westbound about 1630 yesterday with an empty flat bed trailer and I was fighting the wind coming over the top. The problem with signs are that drivers carry on thinking " I’m not high so I’m ok".

Instead of saying closed to high sided vehicles it should say closed to all vehicles over a certain height. As has been mentioned, put a copper or even a womble at Scotch or Penrith end to stop highsiders joining the road.

If, god forbid the worst happened, who would take responsibility for it while the authorities “plan” to stop highsiders using the road?