Do i need to take theory test for hgv1,when ive got hgv2

i have just joined today and would like to say hello to everyone here,ihave been a trucker now for 19 years (class 2) and am about to take my class 1,the company have asked me to arrange it all,but they will pay.i am a bit confused as to whether i have to take a theory test and medical as i am already class 2,or can i just take practical,if anyone knows and would like to help me out i would be most gratefull :slight_smile:

Sorry i cant answer that but welcome to trucknet anyway. hope you get sorted and good luck

hi gez thankyou for your warm welcome i expect it wont take to long until someone will know the answers to my question, this looks like a good site to make new friends starting with you!! lol :slight_smile:

yep your right ,there will be a few with the answers you need and will provide more than you could wish for. have fun :smiley:

welcome to trucknet . no need to do medical or theory go straight for practical training and test :laughing:

hi gazwrf thankyou for that i’ll get on to that straight away,ive never really thought about class1,allways been happy with class2 but need to earn more money and driving is the only thing im interested in!! :slight_smile:

You go straight from class 2 to class 1 with no theory test.

Welcome to TrucknetUK rubber duck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As gazwrf said - no need for theory or medical to go from C (rigid) to C+E (artic or wag & drag) - you should have C+E provisional already on your licence, but check anyway.

Have fun training :smiley:

cheers for that dave,that will help me a lot ,i tried search engines but to no avail,then tried this forum,amazed at responce from members.its nice to know you are not alone!! :slight_smile:

hi rog,thanx 4 the info,so i can take test with no medical or theory just practical,would you know how long hgv medical lasts for?

rubber duck:
hi rog,thanx 4 the info,so i can take test with no medical or theory just practical,would you know how long hgv medical lasts for?

After obtaining your licence from the first medical you do not need another until you are 45 then it is every 5 years after that. Unless you have some health issues when more frequent medicals maybe imposed upon you.

Once you reach real coffin dodging age I think the medicals are yearly as you need to renew the licence yearly from 65.

I think you might need to take a theory test.
direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le … DG_4022531
This mentions about a new category of vehicle and the “E” attachment would be a new category as you have not passed a test yet. I have also read somewhere, I can’t recall where, that this may be excluded if you took a theory test for yoour “C” entitlement and wish to upgrade to “C+E”. Given the length of time that you’ve held your license that would not appear to be the case.

Wiretwister:
I think you might need to take a theory test.
direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le … DG_4022531
This mentions about a new category of vehicle and the “E” attachment would be a new category as you have not passed a test yet…

E is not a stand alone category, the four main categories are A, B, C and D Taking the C+E test would just be adding an extra entitlement - E, to pull trailers - to an existing category - C, Goods Vehicles - so no theory test required.

thanks for that wiretwister,your info will help me greatly,i’ll let you know what happens 2morrow when i book it!! :smiley:

hi there coffeeholic,info was great im booking tomorrow thankyou for your help

No you dont have to take the theory test.
But — Do make sure that the provisional entitlement for Cat C+E is on your licence. (Usually it is but occasionally it is not - so check)
If it is not then just send it in to the DVLA and ask for it to be added.
No charge either.

see i told you there wa gonna be alot of replies from the clever guys ,hope you found it imformative

Sorry to add to the confusion about this…

As you’ve held your Class 2 for 19 years, you should have on your licence a full C+E. This will have restriction code 102 - drawbar trailers only.

This means that you don’t have to worry about having C+E stamped in the provisional section of your licence. You will also be able to learn in wagon and drags without L plates - but you will need to have them for your test. Will need them if you’re training in artics as well.

This shows you just how complicated the driving licence regs are in this day and age. What you can drive depends on when you get your full/provisional HGV/LGV licence and when you pass your car test.

Why the EU didn’t adopt the vastly superior British licence system beats me - so much simpler and easy to understand.

P.S - Definitely no need for you to do the theory test! :smiley:

Why the EU didn’t adopt the vastly superior British licence system beats me - so much simpler and easy to understand.

Because they can’t stand thinking anything in Britain is superior!!!

cheers gez you were right,theres a lot of informative people out there,i cant believe the responce im getting!!