Do I need to take my theory and HP again?

Hi,

Do I need to take the theory and hazard perception test again when I go for my Class 2 (C) ? I am a coach driver and its the same tests I did 11 years ago? Do I need to do them both again or just dig out my certificates?

thanks

MancunianAndy:
Hi,

Do I need to take the theory and hazard perception test again when I go for my Class 2 (C) ? I am a coach driver and its the same tests I did 11 years ago? Do I need to do them both again or just dig out my certificates?

thanks

You will need to do modules
1a theory
1b HPT
3 practical road drive

You may also need to do initial dcpc modules
2 theory
4 practical
BUT this will depend on whether you passed car test before 1997

MEDICAL - not needed if you already have C provisional - see paper bit of licence

Yes, you’ll need to do theory tests for CAT C. You’ll also need Mod 2 (case studies) unless you already have C1 on your full licence.

Just in case you don’t already know, you can train and test on auto and get a full manual licence provided you hold a full manual car licence already.

You probably wont need a full course. Phone around for 2 or 3 assessments and make sure you’re happy. Keep away from brokers.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi,

I passed my car test after 97 and I haven’t yet applied for the provisional C entitlement.

I was just wondering which parts carry over from my PCV?

I already have a valid medical for my pcv and I did the theory and hazard tests which are the same for LGV, so I need to do them again? (thats a bit unfair :cry: )

I don’t mind doing them again just wanted to clarify, I know I have to do the dcpc but the rest I wasn’t sure

thanks

and thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

Nothing carries over from the PCV in your case

I assume you have a current DQC for PCV which expires in 2018 :question:

I do, it runs out sept 2018

thanks

MancunianAndy:
I do, it runs out sept 2018

thanks

Then once you have passed all the LGV modules 1a 1a 2 3 & 4 you will get issued new DQC with LGV as well as PCV and both will expire in sept 2018

Unfortunate that you did not tick C on the D2 form when you applied for D all those years ago - you now need a new D4 medical

So you need …
D4 medical
D2 form and tick C
1a theory
1b HPT
2 dcpc theory
3 road drive/reverse
4 dcpc practical

If you were nearing age 45 I would recommend you wait until PCV D4 medical was due and simply add the D2 form C application with it so an extra medical was not needed

check out the cheap medicals thread and never pay any money to a trainer until you have gone to meet them

on a side note, do I need to put my digi card in when training :question:

I’m assuming yes which raises more problems, my current job will find out what i’m up to when the card gets downloaded :unamused: and also that blows my chances of doing some training on my rest days I’ll have to book holidays :frowning: holidays are gold dust

MancunianAndy:
on a side note, do I need to put my digi card in when training :question:

NO

Training vehicles are exempt

Hi All; well I am in a very similar position to the OP, I have passed 2 PCV tests firstly on a semi-auto in 1995 with what was London Transport buses, I then wanted to drive coaches so had to do a new training course and test for a manual PCV in 1996. I was away from bus driving for 10 years and went back bus driving for First Group last year, they put me through my DCPC, now my card shows it is valid until 2019 it has all categories on it from C1-D-DE-C-CE, but I have only acquired my HGV Provisional last week. I have been in touch with a few HGV training providers some say I need to do module 2 and 4 for my DCPC and Tockwith driving school in North Yorkshire say I don’t as it is already on my card,

stevie1958:
Hi All; well I am in a very similar position to the OP, I have passed 2 PCV tests firstly on a semi-auto in 1995 with what was London Transport buses, I then wanted to drive coaches so had to do a new training course and test for a manual PCV in 1996. I was away from bus driving for 10 years and went back bus driving for First Group last year, they put me through my DCPC, now my card shows it is valid until 2019 it has all categories on it from C1-D-DE-C-CE, but I have only acquired my HGV Provisional last week. I have been in touch with a few HGV training providers some say I need to do module 2 and 4 for my DCPC and Tockwith driving school in North Yorkshire say I don’t as it is already on my card,

No initial for you - TW are 100% correct

This is different for you as already have a current DQC with LGV on it so all you are doing is adding extra LGV categories
No periodic or initial required to add the C - just need to pass mods 1a 1b and 3

For those without a current DQC who have pre 97 C1 LGV then they have the choice of either doing initial or periodic