Do I need to have a tachometer installers for self employed?

If I bought a van/truck over 3.5 tonnes would I need to install a tachometer if so how much are these and how difficult to install?

Depending on it’s proposed use, maybe.

It has to be fitted by an approved tachograph centre. Most main truck dealers have this facility together with some independent workshops. It’s years since I’ve had one retro fitted, but my wild guess is that the cost would be iro £1000.

btw, (and it doesn’t really matter) it’s a tachograph. A tachometer is another word for a rev counter.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Depending on it’s proposed use, maybe.

It has to be fitted by an approved tachograph centre. Most main truck dealers have this facility together with some independent workshops. It’s years since I’ve had one retro fitted, but my wild guess is that the cost would be iro £1000.

btw, (and it doesn’t really matter) it’s a tachograph. A tachometer is another word for a rev counter.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks. Does this question not come up quite a lot on these forums though. Somebody say buys a 7.5 tonne truck for self employed deliveries etc. Do they need a tachograph etc?

I thought it would be a cut and dried answer?

Any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes used for commercial purposes needs a tacho unless an exemption applies

cvrt.ie/en/Operator-Driver- … ng%2040kph

Can you fit a second hand tachograph yourself and have it calibrated at a center?

I mean is that legal.

I dont believe so. But, to make sure, speak to a tacho centre.

Another issue you need to consider, if you’re using the vehicle commercially, is the need for Operator Licence. And, of course, C1 driving licence + driver cpc.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Another issue you need to consider, if you’re using the vehicle commercially, is the need for Operator Licence. And, of course, C1 driving licence + driver cpc.

Your talking about a standard or international license right?

I have C1 and CPC.

If you worked on a self employed basis for a delivery company would they supply this license for you?

ram_1979:

Peter Smythe:

Your talking about a standard or international license right?

I have C1 and CPC.

If you worked on a self employed basis for a delivery company would they supply this license for you?

No. No. It doesn’t work like that, look at your question again.

To do so would be 100% illegal. Dont even think about it!

You mentioned “over 3.5 tonnes”. Is it possible to do the work with 3.5 tonnes? If you can do that you avoid all the regulations previously mentioned and have a much easier life.

TBH, this sounds like a non starter but I wish you the best of luck.

Peter Smythe:

To do so would be 100% illegal. Dont even think about it!

You mentioned “over 3.5 tonnes”. Is it possible to do the work with 3.5 tonnes? If you can do that you avoid all the regulations previously mentioned and have a much easier life.

TBH, this sounds like a non starter but I wish you the best of luck.

Well I’m just looking into it, 3.5 tonnes is a possibility yes but keep options open for 7.5 tonnes as I have the CPC and C1.

But I saw a job advertised for up to 7.5 tonne self employed drivers that had c1 and CPC but didn’t mention needing an operators license.

The license your talking about is this right?

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator

Why so negative when I’m just looking into getting work, getting an operators license is not rocket science?

ram_1979:
Why so negative when I’m just looking into getting work, getting an operators license is not rocket science?

Who is being negative :question:
If you are getting your own operators licence and not using anothers then you need operator CPC I think which is another set of exam(s) to pass
I think you also need X amount in the bank

ROG:

ram_1979:

If you are getting your own operators licence and not using anothers then you need operator CPC I think which is another set of exam(s) to pass

Apart from negative I think you are confusing. Do you want to drive a 3.5 / 7.5 tonne truck for ACME parcel services on a self employed basis?

or do you want to buy a 3.5 /7.5 tonne truck to go to ACME Parcel Services and ask them if they have any work for you.

For any 7.5 tonne truck, you will need C1 and DCPC to drive it, but to own it you will need an additional CPC, an operators licence, suitable parking, finances and a maintenance agreement.

Whether you want to fit a Tachometer or Tachograph you will find they are both fairly standard in all lorries.

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

ram_1979:

Apart from negative I think you are confusing. Do you want to drive a 3.5 / 7.5 tonne truck for ACME parcel services on a self employed basis?

or do you want to buy a 3.5 /7.5 tonne truck to go to ACME Parcel Services and ask them if they have any work for you.

For any 7.5 tonne truck, you will need C1 and DCPC to drive it, but to own it you will need an additional CPC, an operators licence, suitable parking, finances and a maintenance agreement.

Whether you want to fit a Tachometer or Tachograph you will find they are both fairly standard in all lorries.

Yes I just phoned dvsa and to get a standard operators license you need to become a transport manager meaning more exams and costs. You also need £8k in bank for first vehicle and £4k for each additional vehicle.

So my only option for self employed is up to 3.5tonnes or 7.5tonne employed.

If I was you I wouldn’t start from here, :stuck_out_tongue:

Before even thinking about buying a van / truck, you need to speak to several people, the bank, the customers and your neighbours. Someone like DPD or Hermes would say yes we have lots of work and we can keep you going, isn’t a guarantee of work, you will probably be very busy around Christmas for a couple of months. I aren’t trying to put you off, there have been some fantastic success stories with one hit and hot shot stuff, and others have got some fantastic work from being in the right place when needed.

I would be looking at a 3.2 or 3.3 tonne van, plenty of Pro-Plus and a coffee machine.

I’m not negative, just realistic. To hold an Operator Licence you will need to complete a course of training and pass exams. These are set at degree level and demand an all round understanding of the road haulage industry. Before embarking on this path, you really should spend some time either driving or working in a traffic office - preferably both.

The alternative is to employ the services of a qualified person. Expect this to cost iro £300 + per month. And that will wipe out any profit you might make.

The costs of running 3.5 are much lower and you dont have the restrictions that are in place once you go over 3.5. The income is poor though and the only way to make any money is to virtually live behind the wheel.

So, not negative, just realistic.