Do I Need an Operators Licence?

Our bezzie mates are moving house from dahn sarf to oop norf (hooray!) and being the kind of bloke I am, I’ve offered to do the removal for them. I intend to rent an 18 tonne rigid (with tail lift etc) in Yorks and drive down to their gaff on a Friday morn. The plan is to load Friday, me kip in the truck overnight, then drive up north Sat morning and tip.

I know I need to use a tachograph (not a problem and it will easily be do-able within my drivers hours for that week), but my question is;;;; Do I need to be covered by an operators licence? Obviously this is not for hire or reward and is simply a favour for our friends.

P.S I have the relative driving licence too.

Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering).

No.

Not for Hire or Reward.

But when your mates hands over a bundle of cash, name the pub, and I’ll join you. :smiley:

I didnt think it was that simple to just walk into Hill Hire and rent an 18 tonner without an o licence check though.

Wheel Nut:
I didnt think it was that simple to just walk into Hill Hire and rent an 18 tonner without an o licence check though.

Agreed Wheel Nut. :grimacing:

The hire companies have been stung in the past by people saying that they needed to hire for a household removal, and then doing some work that clearly needed an ‘O’ licence.
IIRC, for about 5 years(ish) VOSA have had the power to impound vehicles found operating without an ‘O’ licence.

The problem might come when a hire company employee refuses to hire on the basis that the truck is of a GVW that needs an ‘O’ licence.
Some of the hire company bosses don’t realise that the exemption Krankee mentioned does indeed exist.
If you look at this from the hire company’s point of view, their problem is that they’ll need some sort of indemnity against losing their truck in the event that the customer is telling porkies.
I’m not sure whether any of them have come up with a solution to that problem, so IMHO a question needs to be asked. :wink:

I haven’t attempted to hire anything bigger than 3.5t GVW for some time, so I don’t know how the hire companies would react to Shrek’s request.

Shrek, I’d make sure that the hire company will actually hire to you, having clarified to them in advance that you have no ‘O’ licence. :wink:
It might save some disappointment on the big day. :smiley:

Just called Salford Van Hire in leeds and explained the situation to them. £600 returnable deposit plus the usual hire fees for the truck :smiley:

Thanks for the replies guys!

Shrek:
Just called Salford Van Hire in leeds and explained the situation to them. £600 returnable deposit plus the usual hire fees for the truck :smiley:

:open_mouth: Blimey Shrek only £600 indemnity for a truck.■■

:stuck_out_tongue: That would be cheap at twice the price. :grimacing:

Good luck with the move. :smiley:

dieseldave:

Shrek:

:open_mouth: Blimey Shrek only £600 indemnity for a truck.■■

:stuck_out_tongue: That would be cheap at twice the price. :grimacing:

Good luck with the move. :smiley:

I know, and paranoia got the better of me so I rang them back to double check.

The ■■■■■■■ phone said “You don’t need an O licence if the truck’s for personal use, you only need it if you’re going to use it for business”.

I’ve got an 18 tonner with tail lift and sleeper cab booked with them. Looking forward to it! (240 squids plus VAT for 2 days hire!).

Shrek:
I know, and paranoia got the better of me so I rang them back to double check.

The ■■■■■■■ phone said “You don’t need an O licence if the truck’s for personal use, you only need it if you’re going to use it for business”.

I’ve got an 18 tonner with tail lift and sleeper cab booked with them. Looking forward to it! (240 squids plus VAT for 2 days hire!).

Hi Shrek, That’s great news.:grimacing:

Now you’ll need to find some blankets and ties… :smiley: