Do I Need a Car?

I’m thinking of training to be an HGV driver but I don’t have a car, can’t afford to get one, and probably wouldn’t have anywhere to park it round where I live. So I’m thinking most shifts probably start early morning and could be 10, 20, 30 miles from where I live to the truck depot. Is it unrealistic then to think about being an HGV driver if you don’t have a car to get to work, or are there drivers who manage to get by without one?

I’m about 6 miles to work and have cycled. It’s fine if you choose to but I couldn’t do it every day.
Buses are non existent to work and a taxi twice a day would be quite a cost.

And that’s living 6 miles away

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I cycled to work every day for a few years. I changed work location a couple of times so the round-trip varied between 22 and 32 miles over that period.

I wouldn’t have considered it if I didn’t have showering/changing facilities at work, plus a locker or similar to stash my work kit, or if it had been any further away.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for these replies. So far pretty much confirms what I thought - I need a car!

125cc motor cycle/scooter?
Or how good are electric bikes to day?
Or go tramping (not for everyone of course) and do your commute weekly, not daily, although you`ll be carrying more kit so that might be taxi time.

Simple questions usually have simple answers. If there are transport companies within a reasonable walking or cycling distance of your home then you can get by without a car. If there are no such companies locally then you’d obviously need a car to commute.
It is always beneficial to have a car though, getting to work soaking wet after walking ages to get there in the ■■■■■■■ rain, only to repeat the journey after a 15 hour shift would get really old really quickly, especially if you had a more physically demanding job

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, all food for thought.

Get local walking/cycling distance work to start with, then do what you need to.

Don’t borrow money to buy a car (ever, mugs game), get something affordable and cheap to run for less than £1000, 107/C1/Aygo are as good as anything at this budget.

Juddian:
Get local walking/cycling distance work to start with, then do what you need to.

Don’t borrow money to buy a car (ever, mugs game), get something affordable and cheap to run for less than £1000, 107/C1/Aygo are as good as anything at this budget.

Okay, will keep in mind thanks.

It’s a question of keeping options open: If you didn’t have a car that would probably rule you out of using an agency to cut your teeth, these people send you anywhere they need a space filled, and if you were car-less, or lacking any other form of motorised transport, you’re less likely to be given the opportunity of work

Zac_A:
It’s a question of keeping options open: If you didn’t have a car that would probably rule you out of using an agency to cut your teeth, these people send you anywhere they need a space filled, and if you were car-less, or lacking any other form of motorised transport, you’re less likely to be given the opportunity of work

Tends to be one of the first questions agencies ask, do you have your own transport

Thanks for these replies. A car’s a big investment upfront, and it feels like it would be even more pressure on me to pass the test and make a go of it as a career. But if that’s what it takes, that’s what it takes. I just wonder if there are any other who were in the same situation as me when they were first thinking of doing HGV training - having to buy car to get started. Maybe it’s quite unusual for someone with no car to be thinking about this as a career (I’ve got a driving license and some driving experience). Can anyone relate to this?

newstart:
Thanks for these replies. A car’s a big investment upfront, and it feels like it would be even more pressure on me to pass the test and make a go of it as a career. But if that’s what it takes, that’s what it takes. I just wonder if there are any other who were in the same situation as me when they were first thinking of doing HGV training - having to buy car to get started. Maybe it’s quite unusual for someone with no car to be thinking about this as a career (I’ve got a driving license and some driving experience). Can anyone relate to this?

In a way yes altho I got my car first and had been thinking and planning on aiming for my hgv licence for the 18 months previous (I was waiting to donate a kidney to my partner so that came first but lost him to covid.) I have had my car 5-6 months and will be doing all the practical in the next few weeks. Yes the thought of not earning or saving enough to pay off the car is daunting but iv come this far despite everything so il do it……you will aswell. Good luck!