Do haulage companies make more profit on London deliveries?

Sorry if it’s an obvious question but last few weeks my boss has been putting a lot more London deliveries on me and its really peeing me off!!!

Probably because up until now, you’re not whining as much about them as the other drivers! :stuck_out_tongue:

Two possibilities, either he hates you :open_mouth: :laughing: , or you’re doing the job a bit too well/efficiently/uncomplainingly so possibly made a rod for your own back.

Have no idea if he gets a better rate for London, but i wonder if you’re the driver who makes it pay for him where others maybe don’t :question:

Even 20 years ago i used to love London dels, spent half the week round there in car transporters at one time and loved every minute, well except for Friday afternoons :cry: , now if i never laid eyes on the dump again that would be fine.

edit looks like Evil is thinking along the same lines.

Haha suppose I am guilty of biting my tongue a lot of the time, but only been tramping (general haulage) a couple of months so just trying to stay on the good side of the TM I guess!!

All new to me but I just can’t believe how some businesses expect a 44T artic to get to them, let alone unload on a bus lane or blindside reverse from a two lane road!!

Might get a better rate, but there are more costs to going into London, so better rate does not equal better profit.

djt1881:
Haha suppose I am guilty of biting my tongue a lot of the time, but only been tramping (general haulage) a couple of months so just trying to stay on the good side of the TM I guess!!

All new to me but I just can’t believe how some businesses expect a 44T artic to get to them, let alone unload on a bus lane or blindside reverse from a two lane road!!

If by staying on the good side of the TM he rewards you with bloody londons, it’s maybe time to upset the sod :wink:

Isn’t this a case of “They asked for you by name” which of course, as we all know actually means “You’re the only knob I could find who’d said they’d do it if no one else was available”. :sunglasses:

Yes. My last lot used to wack quite the premium on for a London job.

I actually liked to do the London drops… but only in the days of driving a Bedford TK and when you could drive across the Tower Bridge and use the Embankment …

Radar19:
Yes. My last lot used to wack quite the premium on for a London job.

Same, but you take the rough with the smooth. If you can silk your way in and out in good time it’s quids in.

If you get held up for one million hours in traffic and accidentally go into the congestion zone in-necessarily, it’s quids out.

London is no different to anywhere else. It’s good and bad, and has placed a lorry belongs and others it doesn’t. Sometimes you have to take the lorry where it doesn’t belong, and that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

F-reds:

Radar19:
Sometimes you have to take the lorry where it doesn’t belong, and that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Never a more true word…if he gives you a delivery in Hatton Garden then take the day off!

I wish I had, an eight foot one way entry from Holborn Circus, after delivery I was faced with an impossible left turn at the other end due to street furniture. Or a very restricted right turn into Clerkenwell road, providing the shop owners retracted their over pavement awnings. Then you are faced with an impossible left turn,or a straight over crossing a 7 ton weight limit over a railway (with cameras watching the weight limit) or a ‘No right turn’ into Faringdon St.
I phoned the Met Police and got them to assist, they sorted the shop owners, held the traffic and supervised the illegal no right turn.
Top people the Met!

Twoninety88:

F-reds:

Radar19:
Sometimes you have to take the lorry where it doesn’t belong, and that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Never a more true word…if he gives you a delivery in Hatton Garden then take the day off!

I wish I had, an eight foot one way entry from Holborn Circus, after delivery I was faced with an impossible left turn at the other end due to street furniture. Or a very restricted right turn into Clerkenwell road, providing the shop owners retracted their over pavement awnings. Then you are faced with an impossible left turn,or a straight over crossing a 7 ton weight limit over a railway (with cameras watching the weight limit) or a ‘No right turn’ into Faringdon St.
I phoned the Met Police and got them to assist, they sorted the shop owners, held the traffic and supervised the illegal no right turn.
Top people the Met!

Quite a few busy car rental offices sited around Mayfair, local residents (incl the US embassy) could get snotty over where we parked to tip and load cars, so we were made to park in several places over the years, at one time they had us park in Duke Street (until the residents had a sit down protest around one of the transporters one day :sunglasses: ), to leave you’d have to continue up Duke St, straight over Oxford St and then do a left into Wigmore St, unfortunately one day to due roadworks parked cars and street obstacles i couldn’t make the left turn and no where else to go, this was lorry and drag London drops were ten times worse with an artic with peak over cab :open_mouth:

Luckily as you say the Met coppers soon sort the job out and one reversed me back over Oxford St and then along Oxford St to get out.

Glad i don’t do it any more, its miles worse now what with red routes and hundreds of new parking wardens on piece work.

djt1881:

TM thinks your the Newbie and you need to get more experience and is giving others a break from London
Can`t be expected to be doing the "cream jobs"all the time

He probably reads T/N and has realised that the majority of drivers hate the run to London, ( or are too afraid or inexperienced :smiley: ) and therefore are refusing any work London bound, and leaving it to the professionals, so your boss being eager and willing for an extra few quid, and a driver who doesnt complain, the world is his oyster ( well London anyway )