Do agencies do criminal records checks?

Could anyone let me know if agencies do criminal records checks? Unfortunately I’ve committed one offence in my life and got a fine for cannabis a couple of years ago and wondering if this will affect things.

Thanks.

:confused: Not as far as I know. But, some have questionaires that might contain questions about convictions but often only require driving related ones. :slight_smile:

JeffA:
Could anyone let me know if agencies do criminal records checks? Unfortunately I’ve committed one offence in my life and got a fine for cannabis a couple of years ago and wondering if this will affect things.

Thanks.

No, and in general there is no requirement to do so. Depending on how long ago exactly your conviction was it may be “spent” anyway.

Thanks guys, that’s a relief. From what I’ve been reading on the board it’s going to be hard enough getting a first job without this getting in the way too.

From what I understand they wouldn’t do the checks themselves as it costs £10-20 to do it. They’d ask the driver to pay for the check and post the results to the agency. So if drivers arn’t being asked to do this then it should be ok.

Thanks again.

JeffA:
Thanks guys, that’s a relief. From what I’ve been reading on the board it’s going to be hard enough getting a first job without this getting in the way too.

From what I understand they wouldn’t do the checks themselves as it costs £10-20 to do it. They’d ask the driver to pay for the check and post the results to the agency. So if drivers arn’t being asked to do this then it should be ok.

Thanks again.

Right, now go and have a great big chong and relax!!!

:smiling_imp:

:smiley:

No they don’t do checks. It’s all scare-mongering. Basically put down whatever you want on their forms coz they won’t check any of it.

Not even the big corps do the right checks either. Some years ago I blagged a job in a Midland Bank (now HSBC) cash centre which if they’d done their checks properly I wouldn’t have got :bulb: . Used to prep the notes for ATMs and had about £80m in cash going through my hands every day :open_mouth: .

Hope not or Coffee’s out of work!

Mr.Ripper from Yorkshire was a truck driver. But how he got all that free time beats me.

harry:
Mr.Ripper from Yorkshire was a truck driver. But how he got all that free time beats me.

On log books in those days H… :wink: :wink:

no never asked about any convictions i had.but to be honest i wouldnt of told them anyway, sometimes it pays to feed them what they want to hear :wink:

tartanraider:
Hope not or Coffee’s out of work!

Not yet. :wink:

thecoder0 I was with a Swiss outfit at the time running to Bradford on Tacho`s… ( What I was on about was how he managed a full time job & a wife & still found time to cruise around red light districts. At the time of all his crimes we were working 7 days a week to make ends meet. Thatcher had put about 4 million on the dole )

ady:
to be honest i wouldnt of told them anyway, sometimes it pays to feed them what they want to hear :wink:

I completely agree :wink: :wink: :wink: :smiley: .

harry:
thecoder0 I was with a Swiss outfit at the time running to Bradford on Tacho`s… ( What I was on about was how he managed a full time job & a wife & still found time to cruise around red light districts. At the time of all his crimes we were working 7 days a week to make ends meet. Thatcher had put about 4 million on the dole )

H
H there was a lot of speculation about his mate …I forget his name at the minute (Terry something or other)
but he seemed to know a lot more than he let on…in one interview with Yorkshire TV I remember them asking if he did not find it strange that when out in the car with sutcliffe…that Sutcliffe had stopped the car and taken something from behind the seat …disappeared into the fog …returned 5 mins later …with what looked like blood on his clothes…that sounds amazing but from memory …the interview was full of examples like it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
But the POLICE were still running around looking for a Geordie at the time :unamused: :unamused:

JeffA:

Thanks.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act allows convictions to become ‘spent’. The more serious the crime or the more heavy the punishment (and isn’t it a shame that the two things aren’t directly related) the longer it takes for the conviction to be spent.

If you were just fined for possession of a spot of moroccan red then the conviction doesn’t need to be disclosed even in answer to a direct question after 5 years. see lawontheweb.co.uk/rehabact.htm

Agencies may ask, you should, if asked, answer honestly. Will it make a difference? I don’t know, not without a lot more detail.

If they don’t ask, you are under no obligation to tell them.

Yes…convictions become spent after 5 years and then you don’t have to disclose them. There are exceptions to this rule eg if you are applying for a job which entails working with young or vulnerable people. I personally wouldn’t disclose your misdemeanour to the agency as they have no way of checking. I heard that not long ago, some prison inmates were being trained to drive lorries as some kind of ressetlement. It was down to the government wanting to address the driver shortage. I am sure I saw it in truckstop news. Anybody else heard that? Anyway, don’t worry too much about it and the fact that you are worrying shows that crime isn’t a way of life for you. We all make mistakes and it’s just that some mistakes are punishable by law if caught…

JeffA:

Thanks.

As long as ur not smoking it at the time of your interview :laughing: :laughing: