Diversions that go through weight limits

If a main road is shut for planned roadworks, and a signed diversion takes you along a 7.5t limit, are we allowed to use that diversion in an artic or are we expected to have a crystal ball and plan ahead so we’ve diverted at a different point so we don’t go through the weight limit?

For example, A59 shut at night just before Harrogate. Signed diversion from skipton side turns you left at the roundabout up a 7.5t limit to killinghall. So, are we allowed to use it? Or is plod going to be having a word if they catch you doing it?

Nope, you take the diversion unless it directs HGV’s to take another route which will be signed.

In the past I’ve asked the highways agency about diverted routes and HGV suitability. I was told that unless posted, all diversion routes are suitable for us to use.

madmackem:
In the past I’ve asked the highways agency about diverted routes and HGV suitability. I was told that unless posted, all diversion routes are suitable for us to use.

That maybe but where weight limits are in force unless it says except for access they are supposed to cover the weight limit sign.

The few I have come across have had the weight limit signs covered when diversion is in place. Recent one I can recall is M6 closed 36-34. Diversion via A6 through Carnforth. If overheight for railway bridge in Carnforth the diversion takes you over the M6 junction 35 and via Over Kellet Lane (I think its called) and through a 7.5 limit that brings you out in the town centre.

As far as I’ve always understood it, you’re ok to go through the weight limit. If you do receive a fine, it should be waivered on appeal, as happened to a couple of our drivers recently.