Diversion into restricted roads

Hi all, if a section of the motorway is closed and they put up diversion signs for the closure

But those signs lead to a 7.5 except for loading and a bridge that has a 38T in a red circle sign… can i use that diversion in a artic thats over 38t?

Can you take a 16’ double decker under a 15’ bridge, when it’s on an 'official’s diversion?

Where else are you supposed to go? Home? :smiley:

Many diversions go through otherwise 7.5t restricted roads. Often the 7.5 t restriction is nothing to do with the road but to stop it being used as a rat run by larger traffic.
edit: to say, the village of Toddington in Beds is 7.5t, but when the roadworks on M1 kick in, everything goes through Toddiington (or used to).

SWEDISH BLUE:
Where else are you supposed to go? Home? :smiley:

Would be nice :laughing:

Dav1d:
Many diversions go through otherwise 7.5t restricted roads. Often the 7.5 t restriction is nothing to do with the road but to stop it being used as a rat run by larger traffic.
edit: to say, the village of Toddington in Beds is 7.5t, but when the roadworks on M1 kick in, everything goes through Toddiington (or used to).

But the 38T limit for the bridge ok also?

Binksy:

Dav1d:

Could you not take a pic of diversion sign , record date time etc & it should be easy enough to check motorway / road was closed at time
As a side note , I’ve been through weight limits / over weak bridges 1000,s of times & am yet to get a fine etc though I once had a disciplinary over using m6 toll as company didn’t allow there lorries to use , I just sat there looking at the football on my phone , which had the ops manager raving & ranting asusual about my attitude , just another mark on file so who cares

Binksy:

Dav1d:

No.
There is a vast difference between a restriction for residential ‘comfort’ & a bridge weight limit.
If you make the residents uncomfortable they will just be annoyed & write more letters of complaint, but if you make the bridge uncomfortable it may land you in whatever is below it.
Bridges are usually weight limited based on their structural ability to carry a certain maximum weight, not just for village vanity purposes.

Binksy:
Hi all, if a section of the motorway is closed and they put up diversion signs for the closure

But those signs lead to a 7.5 except for loading and a bridge that has a 38T in a red circle sign… can i use that diversion in a artic thats over 38t?

Definitely not is the answer your looking for :open_mouth:

Where did this happen? Be sure to complain to highways to let them know about their complete incompetence (again).

Binksy:

Dav1d:

If you know you’re over, you’ll need to avoid it in the same way a decker driver would avoid a low bridge.
A few years back the A421 was closed just at the end of the Tingewick bypass in Bucks.
The diversion was through the village of Newton Purcell down to Bicester. The bridge used to be a railway bridge many years (decades perhaps ) back and was 15’3.
Deckers would fit under. Our indicated 16’ one did, as a couple of drivers on autopilot found out.
I followed a decker under it as it scraped it, driver got out, lowered suspension and went on his way
(That bridge has now been replaced with a new one as its going to be EWR or HS2 and is a lot higher than it was, but is still listed as a 15’3.)
The decker route would have been back to MK, up the A5 or M1 to A43 and down to M40, (quite a massive detour) or M1 south depending where you’re heading.

drover:

Binksy:

Where did this happen? Be sure to complain to highways to let them know about their complete incompetence (again).

The a4147, just realised as the sign is behind a bush, the bridge goes over the M1, i dont see the limit on any truckers map book :confused:

Binksy:

drover:

Binksy:

The a4147, just realised as the sign is behind a bush, the bridge goes over the M1, i dont see the limit on any truckers map book :confused:

That’s because the so called truckers maps are ■■■■■■■ useless :unamused:

drover:

Binksy:

drover:

Binksy:

That’s because the so called truckers maps are [zb] useless :unamused:

Yeah and the 400£ tomtom doesnt have it either

Yeah and the 400£ tomtom doesnt have it either

:unamused:

Be interesting to see what happens if they ever get autonomous trucks, as by the sounds of it still be having brige strikes if bloody £399 satnavs cant get it right… lol…

They should fit bridges with Radio frequency tags so as trucks approach if it doesnt match the trailers reciver for allowed hieght, the brakes apply or something similar… bloody simple solution and for the cost of all the strikes, soon pay for itself … if done via a box attached to the underside of the arch, with a lazer to measure distance from the road level to its position, always correct height indicated, even after resurfacing etc… but theyd rather invest in cameras to fine people…

as for using a bridge your over wieght for, youll be fine until your not one day lol… greatful that at least we have signs here … some countries they just have to guess …

TonkaBoy:
Be interesting to see what happens if they ever get autonomous trucks, as by the sounds of it still be having brige strikes if bloody £399 satnavs cant get it right… lol…

They should fit bridges with Radio frequency tags so as trucks approach if it doesnt match the trailers reciver for allowed hieght, the brakes apply or something similar… bloody simple solution and for the cost of all the strikes, soon pay for itself … if done via a box attached to the underside of the arch, with a lazer to measure distance from the road level to its position, always correct height indicated, even after resurfacing etc… but theyd rather invest in cameras to fine people…

as for using a bridge your over wieght for, youll be fine until your not one day lol… greatful that at least we have signs here … some countries they just have to guess …

https://youtu.be/PzNWeHyQAYE?t=12

Its just a shame, i was noway near 38t as running empty yet cant use it… not sure what alternative reasonable route i can take, will have to see what other managers say as one told me just do it, wonder why highways couldnt be bothered putting out a diversion for over 38t

Is this the section of A4147 from Hemel to St Albans ? Streetview shows a blue sign telling of the weight limit on bridge outside the Green Man pub.
Weirdly, street view looks like it’s in a thunderstorm just as it goes over the m1 section of that road.
Doesn’t seem to be any signs on the reverse approach (into Hemel)

Dav1d:
Is this the section of A4147 from Hemel to St Albans ? Streetview shows a blue sign telling of the weight limit on bridge outside the Green Man pub.
Weirdly, street view looks like it’s in a thunderstorm just as it goes over the m1 section of that road.

Yep thats the one, blue sign, then 38t sign on bridge behind a bush and nothing coming the other way. Yeah looks like a rainy day when the google car went there

Binksy:

Dav1d:

Yep thats the one, blue sign, then 38t sign on bridge behind a bush and nothing coming the other way. Yeah looks like a rainy day when the google car went there

That’s odd, very unusual to have a one way limit like that?

drover:

Binksy:

Dav1d:

That’s odd, very unusual to have a one way limit like that?

Yeah, i also called highways about it, they said they know about the 38t but no alternative route so 39+t have to use the 38t bridge…