Displaying an O Licence on hire vehicles

So lately we have had a few hire vehicles on site, I thought nothing of it until the other day when I had to drive one. So I have completed my vehicle checks and notice there is no O licence on display. I question the office as I was under the impression every vehicle had to have an O Licence on display regardless if it was a hire vehicle or not. The office tell me as its a hire vehicle is doesn’t need an O licence is this true or complete ■■■■ just to get me to drive it? Is there any repo-cautions for the driver if pulled with no O licence or is it just the company?

Unless it’s been kept more than 28 days no need to add to license so no disc needed

If the vehicle is over 3.5 ton and is used for hire or reward then an o licence is needed by law. Your company are supplying the driver for the vehicle ie you so yes an o licence is needed by your company for the vehicle.

chester1:
Unless it’s been kept more than 28 days no need to add to license so no disc needed

^^^^^ this

Coolrider:
If the vehicle is over 3.5 ton and is used for hire or reward then an o licence is needed by law. Your company are supplying the driver for the vehicle ie you so yes an o licence is needed by your company for the vehicle.

Yes, but the disc won’t arrive on the day the vehicle is hired which is why you are allowed to run for 28 days without one.

And back to the OP’s question, there are NEVER any repercussions for a driver if a vehicle is found to have O licensing issues, it is solely the operator’s problem. The worst that can happen is that the driver might have to get the train home.

Harry Monk:

Coolrider:

Yes, but the disc won’t arrive on the day the vehicle is hired which is why you are allowed to run for 28 days without one.

And back to the OP’s question, there are NEVER any repercussions for a driver if a vehicle is found to have O licensing issues, it is solely the operator’s problem. The worst that can happen is that the driver might have to get the train home.

Agreed about the 28 days but the op stated his company had told him because it was a hire vehicle no operators licence is required" I was explaining the law and basically saying his company are not telling him the truth.

Coolrider:
Agreed about the 28 days but the op stated his company had told him because it was a hire vehicle no operators licence is required" I was explaining the law and basically saying his company are not telling him the truth.

Maybe the OP didn’t completely understand what the office told him, maybe he over-simplified his post, I don’t know. But no hire company would rent out a truck without seeing the hirer’s Operator’s Licence, so it is reasonable to assume they have one. The OP seemed to be concerned that there wasn’t a disc in the window, and the simple fact is that there doesn’t need to be.

At the risk of repeating myself, an O licence problem can never impact on the vehicle’s driver.

If I’m aware the truck is a hire vehicle when completing my pre shift check sheet then I’ll write “hire truck” in the relevant box

Harry Monk:

Coolrider:

Maybe the OP didn’t completely understand what the office told him, maybe he over-simplified his post, I don’t know. But no hire company would rent out a truck without seeing the hirer’s Operator’s Licence, so it is reasonable to assume they have one. The OP seemed to be concerned that there wasn’t a disc in the window, and the simple fact is that there doesn’t need to be.

At the risk of repeating myself, an O licence problem can never impact on the vehicle’s driver.

I don’t work on maybes I was simply answering the ops question .

Maybe if my 6 numbers come up on the lottery tonight I won’t be on this forum answering questions :grimacing:

Coolrider:
Maybe if my 6 numbers come up on the lottery tonight I won’t be on this forum answering questions :grimacing:

Sigh… me neither! But I recently read a brilliant analogy about the chances of winning the lottery, here it is.

Suppose you had a childhood friend who moved to Germany, thirty years ago, and you wanted to get in touch with them again.

You have absolutely no idea whereabouts in Germany they are, all you know is that they are still alive.

So you ring a completely random German telephone number, and the very first call you make, you get through to your childhood friend.

Statistically you have more chance of doing that than winning the lottery.

Harry Monk:

Coolrider:

Sigh… me neither! But I recently read a brilliant analogy about the chances of winning the lottery, here it is.

Suppose you had a childhood friend who moved to Germany, thirty years ago, and you wanted to get in touch with them again.

You have absolutely no idea whereabouts in Germany they are, all you know is that they are still alive.

:smiley: I’ve had the same 6 numbers since the day it started. If it wasn’t for that I would never buy another ticket. It would be my luck to stop playing and they come up :exclamation:
So you ring a completely random German telephone number, and the very first call you make, you get through to your childhood friend.

Statistically you have more chance of doing that than winning the lottery.

Sorry about the slow reply guys I have been a busy bee today, thanks for your replys. I wasn’t entirely sure if it was straight away or after 28 days of being on site. Thanks for clearing that up and it doesn’t affect me just the company itself :slight_smile:. Just wanted to double check as the ■■■■■■■ will say anything to get you on the road lol! :grimacing:

As said 28 days

BUT

The way around this is the vehicle will be taken off hire at the weekend but stored in your yard and not used. Then Monday morning it’s back on hire. :wink:

Any decent hire company won’t rent to a business without seeing the companies o licence information. Not exactly good for them if the vehicle ends up in the hands of the authorities. There aren’t such checks on individual customers, as they’re more than likely moving house. As already said, no need to display the disc for 28 days, but rest assured, it will be on the licence. If you make a note of the date and it still has no disc after the 28 days, then refuse to drive it if you wish, although as Harry said, the worst that can happen is you’ll have to catch the train home :laughing: