Displaying 0 licence

just a quicky

i am currently working on a contract that uses lease wagons, i have noticed that none of these display an o licence just a tax disk

should they display an o licence??

and if they do not who gets the fines ect??

cheers peeps

Don’t worry too much. It’s a common practice that is allowed for.

Provided that the Operator has spare capacity on the Operator’s Licence, then they can use a hire vehicle for up 28 days (1 month?).

I read recently that VOSA are trialling allowing firms to update their vehicle fleet using the net.

And some Companies take vehicles on a weekly rental ( but a background long term deal for a good rate) so they never get to put an O licence in window.
I reckon it’s totally illegal, but a bending of the rules :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Shaun, provided that the Operator has a margin (the number of trucks authorised by a licence minus the number of trucks in possession) then a vehicle can be in possession for upto one calendar month before it needs to be specified on the licence. Once the vehicle is specified the Traffic Area will issue a disc, which must be displayed. The Operator gets done for none display, not the driver. But it’s a good idea to write on the daily check sheet that there was no O-licence displayed, it reminds the folk in the office.

Krankee wrote;

I read recently that VOSA are trialling allowing firms to update their vehicle fleet using the net

The system is up and running. Operators apply to TAO and get a username and password and can then change their vehicle fleet on-line. Seems to be a good system and saves all the postage.

seems to be a good system if you can actually get on it,i’ve had several attemps and all it says is you have enterd the wrong etc etc then if i try to re-rerigister it won’t let me because my o’license is already registered, unfortunately some one has come up with the idea that the whole thing needs moderniseing which means not only this new online joby but a call center type help line to replace the number of the actual traffic office you used to be able to ring, now you get some numpty who hasn’t a clue about anything, infact i was given some information a few weeks ago about using a trailer which had i took it as read could quite easially have cost me my o’license! :unamused: