Discrepancies between metric and imperial bridge heights

Noticed that 4.2m 14’ 0" is the standard corresponding markings, yet 4.2m is 13’ 10". :unamused:

Does it always work that the highways agency are more generous to those who use imperial as opposed to metric?

Does it matter■■?
Drivers will still hit the bridge regardless all the warnings on them.
Drivers ignore any signs and just bash on.
Most of the bridge bashes are not a difference of a few centimetres ( or half inches for the very old on here) but substantial difference in height, that even a blind horse could see that it didn’t fit.
If the sat nav says it fit, it fit mentality.
What is wrong to slow down, stop measure and make an informed choice?

Or pull up to the bridge and have a look before and as you pass under. Only takes a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:
Or pull up to the bridge and have a look before and as you pass under. Only takes a few seconds.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This is far too sensible, for the modern day Driver- it will never catch on

Perhaps it should be part of the driver CPC.
Break out height-stick before you set off,
Adjust height indicator accordingly,
Watch signs.
:unamused:

all trailers should by law have height from roof to fifth wheel plate marked on the front of trailer
then the driver has just to measure fifth wheel plate to floor and he or she knows the exact height :smiley:

All of the above are true, and likely to be invalidated if we had apprenticeships.
But our industry’s attitude is let them wreck someone else’s kit while they bundle through their initial 2 years, as after that they MIGHT have a clue what they are doing? :open_mouth:

Bridges are only marked in feet then either 3, 6 or 9 inches,

And in metric it goes up in 0.1m
And they use a different count back system for each measurement from the actual measured hieght

So that’s why to 2 heights are not a direct comparison

Tris:
Noticed that 4.2m 14’ 0" is the standard corresponding markings, yet 4.2m is 13’ 10". :unamused:

Does it always work that the highways agency are more generous to those who use imperial as opposed to metric?

Nahh, forget my prvious post, just set your Sat-Nav to 100mm lower and hope for the best! :grimacing:

:wink:

We’ve got some 4.880m trailers, which is 16 feet 0.126 inches. I’ll take them under a 16’ bridge, but not a 4.8m one, even though there is probably enough safety margin and rounding error…