Disclosure

Disclosure, I am a remainer and voted stay but obviously, being patriotic, wish our negotiatng team all the best.

Should I take out private medical insurance to cover myself for occassional EU runs or will I still be covered by existing arrangements?

Euro:
Disclosure, I am a remainer and voted stay but obviously, being patriotic, wish our negotiatng team all the best.

Should I take out private medical insurance to cover myself for occassional EU runs or will I still be covered by existing arrangements?

EHIC card is valid until Dec 31st.
Jan 1st…?
Tempting as it is, I’ll stop there.

Euro:
Disclosure, I am a remainer and voted stay but obviously, being patriotic, wish our negotiating team all the best.

Did you really need to say this ? It will just rattle cages.

connexionfrance.com/French- … healthcare

Really… nobody knows - The current Ehic card system is not being negotiated. So if you are ill in the EU after January you will have to pay up. At the moment the country who supplies a health-care service to you bills the NHS.

You do know that the ECIH covers only the basic level which locals are allowed in the member state.
Only the UK has an all state funded/taxation based system.
Germany’s state/private hybrid being the best in Europe.
Only a fool, or willing to take the risk of a big hospital or repatriation bill, travels in Europe without private health care insurance cover in or out of the EU before or after 1973.

No cage rattling intended.
Does HMRC accept private medical insurance is a legitimate business expense? Premiums are not expensive (c£500) unless you are over twenty five or have ever had an illness.

Are you owner driver, if not it should up to the company to supply health insurance, but I think some drivers being as they are will shrug their shoulders and carry on regardless.

I’d have insurance anyway. Even with EHIC you may still have to pay for medical treatment as you’re only entitled to what the natives get and in many countries such as France there’s a co-pay where you’ll pay towards treatment even though its the public healthcare system.

Conor:
I’d have insurance anyway. Even with EHIC you may still have to pay for medical treatment as you’re only entitled to what the natives get and in many countries such as France there’s a co-pay where you’ll pay towards treatment even though its the public healthcare system.

I had a minor accident several year ago, and on production of EHIC paid zero in Spain, and paid a percentage of treatment and ambulance, from my own credit card, in France. All my expenses were later refunded by Newcastle NHS offices.
But insurance, (From a reputable company, after reading all the small print) is generally a good thing. In the future it’ll be indispensable.
And remembering older threads, and depending on personal beliefs etc, look at repatriation costs, should you fall off the perch when away. (I carry a double thickness bin-bag with an address label and a second class stamp on it)

EHIC only covers the basics,going anywhere abroad you need private travel / health insurance.Depending on which EU countries agree to a reciprocal arrangement with the UK a different card might be needed in each country, the EHIC might be useless. One other thing to be aware of some ambulances called are from private hospitals where the EHIC or any other reciprocal agreements are nul and void and they want cash or insurance before being treated.

This is something that uk employed Euro drivers should now be negotiating with their employers, ideally they need full medical cover + medical evac back to the UK, especially as we all remember the driver who was abandoned by their employer a couple of years ago that cause a massive stink

If the country you go to has a reciprocal agreement you should be fine, in jan 2019, my mate came over, he had a ride on my motorcycle and dropped it… injured his leg… took him to the Hospital … he said he had private health insurance, they just wanted to see his UK passport and was given full free treatment by NSW Health.