Disciplinary tomorrow (Tue 17th) - overloaded vehicle

I’ve only been driving for a short while. Today someone else was driving my 7.5T and traffic had loaded him with 2400kgs - electrical cable on three pallets. I told him it was overloaded and as he wasn’t the regular driver I went and complained. Changed to an 18T without much argument.

I haven’t seen the weighbridge certificate. I worked out from google search - weight 5200, pump truck 100-200, tail lift 500 - total 5800-6000kgs. So 1500 max is all you can carry. I gather if one is stopped the driver gets a fine like £1500 + £100 where each strap should be and a company fine (quite sizeable no doubt).

So what do I say tomorrow in my defence. Ask to see the weightbridge cert? My right by law! I know doubt get a formal warning which is on my employer reference… so I can’t clear off and get another job so easily.

Any advice to offer… apart from keep quiet and apogise.

Ill stand to be corrected however if it was me

I would point out at the end of the day had the vehicle in fact been overloaded it was my Licence up for the chop, and as I have felt that the vehicle was overloaded I choose to bring it to the TM’s attention. Now I know that in the real world companies bend rules and regs to suit themselves, but after paying out and going through all the rigmahole of getting my licence I aint putting it in jeopardy for a days wage.

Obviously during the explantion I would remain calm and polite and I am sure that the majority of TM’s with half a brain would understand, and the fact they moved it to a 18t without much hassle means they must have thought you have a point.

jessejazza:
I’ve only been driving for a short while. Today someone else was driving my 7.5T and traffic had loaded him with 2400kgs - electrical cable on three pallets. I told him it was overloaded and as he wasn’t the regular driver I went and complained. Changed to an 18T without much argument.

I haven’t seen the weighbridge certificate. I worked out from google search - weight 5200, pump truck 100-200, tail lift 500 - total 5800-6000kgs. So 1500 max is all you can carry. I gather if one is stopped the driver gets a fine like £1500 + £100 where each strap should be and a company fine (quite sizeable no doubt).

So what do I say tomorrow in my defence. Ask to see the weightbridge cert? My right by law! I know doubt get a formal warning which is on my employer reference… so I can’t clear off and get another job so easily.

That should be accounted in the veh weight ie veh full up fuel etc incl all ancillary equipment ( taillift hi-ab etc ) it was up to the other driver really. you say " I went and complained" was it a complaint or a suggestion
whats the certs on the veh ( weigh plates ) where do you get your weighbridge tickets from ( do you have a WB on site ).
where do you get this " Ask to see the weightbridge cert? My right by law!" You weren’t the driver …

Sorry fella I know you think your doing good but best to point out your worries to the driver and walk away its up to THE DRIVER .

busby330:

I would point out at the end of the day had the vehicle in fact been overloaded it was my Licence up for the chop, and as I have felt that the vehicle was overloaded I choose to bring it to the TM’s attention. Now I know that in the real world companies bend rules and regs to suit themselves, but after paying out and going through all the rigmahole of getting my licence I aint putting it in jeopardy for a days wage.

Obviously during the explantion I would remain calm and polite and I am sure that the majority of TM’s with half a brain would understand, and the fact they moved it to a 18t without much hassle means they must have thought you have a point.

it was not his licence it was not his load it was not his vehicle …

nick2008:

busby330:

it was not his licence it was not his load it was not his vehicle …

Ahh your right sorry mis read the OP been a long day.

The person driving the truck at the time of being pulled over is libel for any infringements and fines that come from it.

You say you’re on a disciplinary hearing - what exactly are you being accused of? Interference, being a jobsworth, sticking your nose in, helping another driver stand up for themselves?

Without knowing the alleged crime it is difficult to advise on a defence. It sounds like you probably did something right, but perhaps in the wrong way…

My old MAN 8.163 with 12 pallet curtain box and ratclife tuck under tail lift would tare @ 5,100kg with me and fuel.
Iveco with 10 pallet curtain box and up the back tail lift with me and fuel would tare @ 5,600kg.

looks like any stories about 20 ton of steel plate on the floor with 20 ton of hanging beef on the hooks wont go down well on this one?? :slight_smile:

Ah yes to be sure. I had 20 ton of plate on the floor of my tipper. Then loaded 25 ton of coal on top. …

It’s a cracker!

nick2008:

jessejazza:

That should be accounted in the veh weight ie veh full up fuel etc incl all ancillary equipment ( taillift hi-ab etc ) it was up to the other driver really. you say " I went and complained" was it a complaint or a suggestion
whats the certs on the veh ( weigh plates ) where do you get your weighbridge tickets from ( do you have a WB on site ).
where do you get this " Ask to see the weightbridge cert? My right by law!" You weren’t the driver …

Sorry fella I know you think your doing good but best to point out your worries to the driver and walk away its up to THE DRIVER .

You’re right… i was trying to my best. I shouldn’t have stuck my neck out but then again real reason is she was on lease hire. So no job now as she goes back at the end of the month.