Disciplinary at work

rambo19:
As much as many on here don’t like them, this thread shows why it is important to be in a union.

But why■■? The whole firm surely needs to be in it for it to fly.Don’t think theres anyone at all in Southamptons container game in one.

manalishi:

rambo19:
As much as many on here don’t like them, this thread shows why it is important to be in a union.

But why■■? The whole firm surely needs to be in it for it to fly.Don’t think theres anyone at all in Southamptons container game in one.

You don’t need the whole company in it to get advice and back up during a disciplinary hearing at work, although I believe you are entitled to take anybody in as a witness for you regardless of membership status, but hopefully your union rep will know a bit more about employment law than your mate. As we’ve seen from this thread the OP has asked a question about what happens when the management doesn’t turn up for a disciplinary hearing and I despite 2 pages of replies I don’t think he has a definitive answer to that question.

woody2808:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I’ve seen the video from my forward facing camera and it doesn’t even have the speed on the footage. They have, however, done a printout from the fleetboard and they’ve got me at errr… a bit more than 60mph, (just in case the authorities are reading this). I obviously didn’t realise I was doing it otherwise I would have reeled it in, all I was bothered about was getting home. I was sat in Peterborough and received a message from my sister in law that my 77 year old mum, who’s suffering from breast cancer, had fallen at home. It’s not any sort of excuse I know but I obviously wasn’t thinking straight and what I did isn’t big or clever but the longer this goes on the angrier I’m getting. It’s given me 3 weeks of stress just because some thumb-sucking pinhead has decided to play policeman. Funny thing is I actually watched him pull right in behind me as I came down the hill and if I’d have braked he’d have run straight into the back of me. Another thing that’s funny, that our lot don’t realise, is that I’ve got the white van man’s name and mobile number :smiley:
I’ll just have to take it on the chin on Friday and see what happens I suppose.
And please fellas, no comments on what a knob I’ve been…I already know that :blush:

Hitting them with a sob story will just make you look like a tube.

You’re worrying about this far too much, tell them you were speeding and you’d have been going faster if you could have and ask wtf are they going to do about it.

A company that doesn’t side with its driver and tell the camera clown to do one isn’t worth working for.

no1dieselman:
Why, will a union stop you from speeding?

Whilst I totally disagree with the van drivers actions, at least the OP has taken it on the chin. A union would just screw it up more as they do with most things

Because a decent union rep will know the law and rules to be followed.
Anyone can join a union, you don’t need the whole workforce to be in it.

At my last bus garage, our union rep used to get drivers out of the doodoo because the company failed to follow it’s own procedures.
I don’t drive buses anymore, but am a member of the RMT, which also covers legal advice/defence when i’m not at work.

Well worth the £20 per month, imo.

Conclusion to the disciplinary:

Well I had the disciplinary yesterday so because you guys did me the courtesy of replying I thought I’d show you the same respect by letting you know what happened.
I was going to go in all guns blazing shouting about how the bloke must have been using his phone whilst driving to grass on me, speeding himself to catch me up etc. but I decided against all that and just ate a huge piece of humble pie…and to be honest it saved my job! :open_mouth:
Boss man said he’d already made his mind up that he only two options before going into the meeting, one was straight to a final written warning or dismissal, he viewed the incident that seriously. After about twenty minutes he revealed that because I’d conducted myself the way I had during the meeting he was giving me the final written warning. Had I conducted myself any other way I’d now be looking for a new job…after a couple of cheeky weeks off anyway :smiley:
So, glad I went the route I did and kept my job but still unhappy because I had loads I wanted to get off my chest and I feel my hands are tied now. Oh well, lesson learned, just draw a line under it all and move on now. Thanks once again to all that responded. Stay safe fellas :sunglasses:

Thanks for letting us know, and glad you got the result you wanted.

I’d like to be the first to criticise you for braking on gradients and not letting her off the clock :laughing:

I wonder what the spineless pointy-shoe wearer will do next time he plucks up the courage to get out of bed and somebody threatens him with social meeedja :neutral_face:

woody2808:

Well I had the disciplinary yesterday so because you guys did me the courtesy of replying I thought I’d show you the same respect by letting you know what happened.
I was going to go in all guns blazing shouting about how the bloke must have been using his phone whilst driving to grass on me, speeding himself to catch me up etc. but I decided against all that and just ate a huge piece of humble pie…and to be honest it saved my job! :open_mouth:
Boss man said he’d already made his mind up that he only two options before going into the meeting, one was straight to a final written warning or dismissal, he viewed the incident that seriously. After about twenty minutes he revealed that because I’d conducted myself the way I had during the meeting he was giving me the final written warning. Had I conducted myself any other way I’d now be looking for a new job…after a couple of cheeky weeks off anyway :smiley:
So, glad I went the route I did and kept my job but still unhappy because I had loads I wanted to get off my chest and I feel my hands are tied now. Oh well, lesson learned, just draw a line under it all and move on now. Thanks once again to all that responded. Stay safe fellas :sunglasses:

I’d have taken the dismissal.

Your boss doesn’t side with his employees, instead panders to some knob in a van and then puts it in a way that he’s doing you a favour by not sacking you.

Get yourself a new boss, one that actually stands with his drivers.

woody2808:

At the end of the day it’s only a job, I’m sure you’d be working again by the end of the week if it had gone south. Telling g them what they wanted to hear is a pretty safe strategy for keeping your job. What I’m wondering is, did you mean it? (Actually, I’m not. Its stuff all to do with me).

You kept your job so you are earning and that’s the main thing. A good attitude can help sometimes.

Personally it sounds like you are unhappy so probably time to be looking around but at least you have a job whilst you are doing so and you will be looking whilst quoting as apposed to explaining why you were sacked

I am unhappy there but only because of what goes on. For instance we do a job up to Cairnryan where the lads who do it have to speed to make the boat. The driver trainer (who was in my meeting yesterday) was actually sat in the same cab as one of the lads when he let it run off the clock just so he didn’t miss getting the trailer to the boat………nothing said. So it’s ok when it suits them but when some bloke reports me for doing it I’m treated like the son of satan. It just smacks of hypocrisy and double standards and that’s the bit I’m having trouble dealing with. I wanted to mention that in the meeting but would have lost my job if I had have done so I believe. I have no doubt that I wouldn’t be out of work long but I just didn’t want to give him the satisfaction. :imp:

woody2808:
I am unhappy there but only because of what goes on. For instance we do a job up to Cairnryan where the lads who do it have to speed to make the boat. The driver trainer (who was in my meeting yesterday) was actually sat in the same cab as one of the lads when he let it run off the clock just so he didn’t miss getting the trailer to the boat………nothing said. So it’s ok when it suits them but when some bloke reports me for doing it I’m treated like the son of satan. It just smacks of hypocrisy and double standards and that’s the bit I’m having trouble dealing with. I wanted to mention that in the meeting but would have lost my job if I had have done so I believe. I have no doubt that I wouldn’t be out of work long but I just didn’t want to give him the satisfaction. :imp:

I tend to agree a bit with Uncaring Cowboy, typical wet arse boss backing some snidey 2at that he does not know than backing his loyal employee, loyalty works both ways…but it all depends how much you like and value your job, to how you react to it all, so I for one won’t judge you.

I won’t go into details but I also was on a disciplinary a couple of years ago for which it was purely my fault, although accidental.
I done the obligatory sat in front of the ‘‘Headmaster’ routine :unamused: (main depot ‘Compliance manager, or whatever tf he calls himself) and I owned up to it saying along the lines of …I was so bloody angry with myself that any action taken would not make me feel any worse (absolutely true btw :bulb: )
I was pleasantly surprised by the backing I got off the ‘second in command’ who told the ‘‘Headmaster’’ …
…’‘This sort of thing just never happens to Rob, he is a capable and experienced driver, he is left to his own devices and travels on roads every week that are totally HGV unsuitable with no problems, and does a good job’’
This lad has left now, but I have him to thank for keeping my job.

As for your mates :unamused: , if they are teararsing to catch the boat it smacks of ■■■■ poor planning.
If they missed it a couple of times, the planning would soon improve, and put them under less pressure, but if they are stupid enough to break the rules to cope, they deserve it… it aint rocket science ffs :unamused:
So a classic case of ‘‘Thick own worst enemy lorry driver’’ who won’t stand up for himself, being taken for a ■■■■ . :unamused:

Woody2808 wrote…

“Boss man said he’d already made his mind up that he only two options before going into the meeting, one was straight to a final written warning or dismissal, he viewed the incident that seriously. After about twenty minutes he revealed that because I’d conducted myself the way I had during the meeting he was giving me the final written warning. Had I conducted myself any other way I’d now be looking for a new job…after a couple of cheeky weeks off anyway”.
By what you have said there It looks to me that you boss has prejudged your case, which is a total no, no, did he hand you the written verdict as soon as the hearing finished because that means he unquestionably has prejudged the outcome of the hearing, to have had the verdict typed out before the end of the meeting, If they did hand you the written verdict straight at the end you would have been entitled to screw it up and throw it back in his face especially if there was a witness present, watch out for these little things…
Ossie

OssieD:
Woody2808 wrote…

“Boss man said he’d already made his mind up that he only two options before going into the meeting, one was straight to a final written warning or dismissal, he viewed the incident that seriously. After about twenty minutes he revealed that because I’d conducted myself the way I had during the meeting he was giving me the final written warning. Had I conducted myself any other way I’d now be looking for a new job…after a couple of cheeky weeks off anyway”.
By what you have said there It looks to me that you boss has prejudged your case, which is a total no, no, did he hand you the written verdict as soon as the hearing finished because that means he unquestionably has prejudged the outcome of the hearing, to have had the verdict typed out before the end of the meeting, If they did hand you the written verdict straight at the end you would have been entitled to screw it up and throw it back in his face especially if there was a witness present, watch out for these little things…
Ossie

No he hasn’t.

Given the speed quoted (which he knew already) they were the only realistic options. Fairer to say the sack unless he says something good for a final.

Nothing wrong with having both letters prepared and choosing which to give at the end

One thing you do know now… miss the boat.

robroy:

woody2808:

I tend to agree a bit with Uncaring Cowboy, typical wet arse boss backing some snidey 2at that he does not know than backing his loyal employee, loyalty works both ways…but it all depends how much you like and value your job, to how you react to it all, so I for one won’t judge you.

I won’t go into details but I also was on a disciplinary a couple of years ago for which it was purely my fault, although accidental.
I done the obligatory sat in front of the '‘Headmaster’ routine :unamused: (main depot 'Compliance manager, or whatever tf he calls himself) and I owned up to it saying along the lines of …I was so bloody angry with myself that any action taken would not make me feel any worse (absolutely true btw :bulb: )

I was pleasantly surprised by the backing I got off the ‘second in command’ who told the ‘‘Headmaster’’ …
…‘‘This sort of thing just never happens to Rob, he is a capable and experienced driver, he is left to his own devices and travels on roads every week that are totally HGV unsuitable with no problems, and does a good job’’
This lad has left now, but I have him to thank for keeping my job.

As for your mates :unamused: , if they are teararsing to catch the boat it smacks of ■■■■ poor planning.
If they missed it a couple of times, the planning would soon improve, and put them under less pressure, but if they are stupid enough to break the rules to cope, they deserve it… it aint rocket science ffs :unamused:
So a classic case of ‘‘Thick own worst enemy lorry driver’’ who won’t stand up for himself, being taken for a [zb] . :unamused:

Our 2ic has got the backbone of a snake Rob and I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could spit. Our boss shows us absolutely no loyalty so I’m not prepared to show him any, as soon as I find something else I’m out of there.

Our boys speed to get to the boat because from Preston, in trucks limited to 54, it’s a bit of a push and is one reason I turned the Cairnryan trunk down. Every one of our lads that does it/has done it have points on their licence, I for one am not going to risk it, not for them.

Ossie, he didn’t give me the written verdict straight away because I would have nailed him for that. I’m actually a qualified union rep but not the union that the rest of our drivers are in so I’m not recognised there as a rep. At the end of the day I did the deed, they’ve got the printouts and I can’t defend that, no matter how good a union rep I may or not be. I did take advice on it though. :wink:

Time to look round now. Cheers lads.

Boss would have made his mind up before the disciplinary, regardless of what he said about final warning etc

would have discussed with others too I’d imagine and they would also know

daffyd:
Boss would have made his mind up before the disciplinary, regardless of what he said about final warning etc

would have discussed with others too I’d imagine and they would also know

He also has to take into account previous cases and outcome of those. Have to have a consistent approach and the day’s of he’s a good guy I’ll let him off are long gone

We don’t have a disciplinary procedure,where I work.
If you’re ■■■■,you get the sack.

TheUncaringCowboy:

woody2808:

I’d have taken the dismissal.

Your boss doesn’t side with his employees, instead panders to some knob in a van and then puts it in a way that he’s doing you a favour by not sacking you.

Get yourself a new boss, one that actually stands with his drivers.

That’s my way of thinking too.

I got called into the office after a complaint that I had been tailgating, which I had, because I didn’t want the stupid bint in the car alongside me pulling in front of me and braking hard to make her exit. So I closed the gap on her and amused myself in the process. I told the safety director that it was sometimes necessary to drive aggressively to drive defensively and he agreed. I also made the point that if only one person complained and they took their side that it’s an infringement of my civil liberties, to be found guilty it would take twelve complaints as is our constitutional right. He told me to FRO.

If that had gone any other way and I’d got a bollocking or worse, I would’ve been on the look out for a new job pronto.

Back in the UK in the 90s, I had to have one of those how’s my driving stickers on the back of my trailer, so I got a new sticker printed up with the same layout, but a different phone number, I choose the samaritans, but there’s a lot more choice nowadays with helplines for all types of snowflakes, so you could have some fun with that.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

commonrail:
We don’t have a disciplinary procedure,where I work.
If you’re [zb],you get the sack.

Same here.

I also have a boss who doesn’t give in to dash cam heros with pointless threats.

There’s also no union here because it’s a company worth working for with real drivers and not workshy wannabes.

Shocking, eh.