Disc brakes Volvo FH/FM

Does anybody now if its possible to clear the pad warning + sensor warning message on a Volvo FM after changing brake pads, without taking back to volvo dealers to reset. The early disc braked volvo’s didn’t seem to suffer from it, the pad wear indicator in the dash resets its self.
What does anybody else do ?
I know a local firm with diagnostic gear but they can only delete fault codes which I don’t think will be the same as a reset.
Reagrds
Big Bear.

When I’ve changed the pads on my Fh t/units I’ve not bothered resetting anything - and there are no messages on the dash.

If Volvo change the pads they “recalibrate” the lining sensors, so when the new pads are in the sensors are at 100% lining left. I’ve asked Volvo to put their computer on and check the sensors after I’ve replaced pads for the first time and recalibrate if necessary - when they put the computer on they were registering 98 + 99%, so I’ve never bothered recalibrating since, and never had a problem.

I personally think the lining sensors are a bit of a waste of time, if you’re inspecting the truck regularly you should notice when the pads are getting down.

Has anyone noticed on later Volvo’s (06 onwards with vented disks) the pads last only half as long as the earlier ones with the non-vented (ie solid) disk?

Average 4 years pad life with solid disk, 2 years with vented - all on the same work.

Thats different to what my dealer told me, they said that if you change the pads at 10% for example the sensors continue counting down from 10% even though there are new pads fitted, but the dash indicator resets its self. This is the same as the airdryer cartridge needing to be reset.
I agree you should not need the sensor if your looking after the vehicle correctly.

I’ll ask my local dealer when I speak to them next, but It sounds like your dealer is trying it on.

My volvo dealer has been trying it on a bit lately - a vehicle that was on inspection Friday night was deemed to have low pad depth, so they changed them - I don’t mind too much as they are told if they find anything, just do it. Even the £115 labour charge for a job I could do in an hour I didn;t mind as much as them charging me full rrp for the pads at £180. If I’d bought them over the front parts counter they cost £95. Needless to say I got a credit note for the difference.