Disc brakes keeping me busy again

yet another day sorting disc brakes, todays patient a 3yr old MAN tgx tractor both rear sliders tight, o/s front seized, n/s r disc cracked, both rear return springs rotten -shattered in the chambers ,happy days.

Disc brakes may be good on a car but they just don’t work on trucks. I had a near £2,000 bill for disc replacements on the front two axles earlier this year following a six-weekly inspection, and according to VOSA’s newsletter, cracked discs are the main reason for issuing prohibitions. Drum brakes work just as well and never throw up any failure problems.

Yes agree with you there Harry, i never had anytrouble stopping with drums.

One good thing about discs though its easy to see who drives on the brakes, front wheels are always caked in thick black crud.

hello people

if u read my earlier posts u would recall i mentioned retro fitting volvo version one axles to my version two volvo as i was no particularly happy with the disc brakes.two years in and still happy that i did that.

i cant even try to imagine what would happen if the disc brakes were to seize on the front steering axle,luckily my midlift seized and i just lifted up and carried on -not so easy if it were the front axle.

The main issue I find with calipers is ,(knorr bremse)1 pin is protected from the crude and crap by a dust boot ,and the pin slide up and down a brass or phosphor bronze bush ,it never seizes…The other pin is left pen to the crude and crap and slides up and down a rubber boot,alway seizes …

norb:
The main issue I find with calipers is ,(knorr bremse)1 pin is protected from the crude and crap by a dust boot ,and the pin slide up and down a brass or phosphor bronze bush ,it never seizes…The other pin is left pen to the crude and crap and slides up and down a rubber boot,alway seizes …

spot on, ive never had to change the bronze bush got dozens to weigh in,i use 1 to knock the new rubber sleeve in. Kits from dealers range from £ 120 MAN,DAF,SCANIA to 145 for a oe merc caliper kit, local factor gets the essentials only for £60. Wheel washes don’t help just had a 5yr old Man skiploader in all ok never had a problem, the tgx tractor goes thru washes all day long and look at the state of the pins for 3yr old. I see you can spec a Volvo 8 wheeler back on drums but not a tractor WTF. Lets hope the mighty Z cam makes a return might take up golf or needlecaft with all my spare time

Obviously universal that we use the bonze bush to install the rubber one lol…I can’t remember what it is ,but there is a spray from VBG the coupling people that frees up that pin beautifully ,no need to dismantle.even works wonders on seized plies etc