Disaster, failed medical

Hi folks could do with some advice, I went to my gp today for my D4 Medical and failed the eye test on what I think was my own fault.

The fail is is scored 6/12 in both eyes, when I needed the better eye to have at least 6/9. When he told me to cover one eye I was kinda pressing on it and when I came to take the test in that eye everything was blured due to me holding my hand in (yes you read right IN) my eye too tight.

Everything else was fine so my only problem was the (I think erroneous) eye test, my doc seems to think I will be able to either

A: go opticians for a test and submit their report with my docs failed D4 if it’s normal
B: Have whatever correction I need and then submit whatever they give me with the Failed D4

Will I be able to do that? Or will I have to have another complete D4 medical done again?

If you send in anything but a correctly completed D4 with all the ticks in the right places, you will get a delay. Easy way is to destroy the D4 you’ve got, sort out your eyes and get a new D4 done.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
If you send in anything but a correctly completed D4 with all the ticks in the right places, you will get a delay.

This. If you’re sure the fail was your own fault I’d be inclinded to simply re-do the medical but ensure first it is up to standard.

Hope you did not pay more than about £50 for the medical

£75 quid down the drain, I had read that it was wise to go opticians prior to the medical. I’m going opticians first thing, my eyesight is blob on according to me though… I can read the con numbers on parcels at stupid distances at work.

I’m blaming it on Dr Ibrahim, his tiny poster test stuck to his whiteboard with a fridge magnet, and the dodgy curtain I had to stand next to that was distracting me, and me pushing on my eye when told to simply cover it.

I will update tomorrow after the eye spooks have had a look.

Deen:
I’m blaming it on Dr Ibrahim, his tiny poster test stuck to his whiteboard with a fridge magnet, and the dodgy curtain I had to stand next to that was distracting me, and me pushing on my eye when told to simply cover it.

The eye test is called a "Snellen test"and is standardised. You will get a smaller chart to look at if you have to stand closer to it, for example because of size constraints in the doctor’s surgery.

Just go and get a pair of glasses and re-do the medical.

I had me contact lenses in when I did mine, didn’t realise I had to take them out during the medical and forgot me little pot and solution. Ended up putting them in a cup of water. When I put them back in my eyes were streaming and blurry, he asked me to re-read the last line and I managed it, just :grimacing:

Would of been much simpler to wear me glasses.

I think eye tests are about £25 or free at some places. Just face facts, it comes with age :grimacing: :grimacing: you might be surprised, a lot of people don’t realise their eye sight has deteriorated (even if only slightly).

Best of luck with the eye test and new medical :smiley:

Just think if you have an eye test you will know for definite what your eyes are like as a lot of people dont realise they think there eye sight is perfect but not

Tell the optician why you want the test as they could do a more thorough test as I do when go also my mam has glaucoma so more in depth test

Then go back with new D4 from & sort it

Just back from the opticians, it was me covering my eye yesterday that made me fail (common as muck the lady said). I would have passed my eyesight test today, I will admit after shining what looked like a nuclear blast in my eyes and going through lens etc I can read off every chart she threw at me, so even though I should have walked the D4 test I still went for some gogs as they did make a difference.

One question though?

On my next D4 medical can I take a bash fully unaided to see if I pass before resorting to the glasses if it all goes pear shaped? I should pass it every time she said, she also said the docs doing his snellen tests wrong as his chart was on a white board full off other posters and info sheets, it’s meant to be in a non distracting place like a blank wall, white board etc.

Driving gogs are the order of the day it would seem, I had that extra anti reflection coating as I will be using them for driving and computer use.

Cheers folks :slight_smile:

here so not really a disaster just a little hiccup

Go to Dr with glasses do test with & without them simple

What I was told was, my doctor is a GP not an optician, although I have ended up with 01 on my licence. I drove for 18 months on an exemption form from DVLA. I took an extended eye examination at the optometrists and they wrote to DVLA, all free, apart from buying my new spectacles from them.

I didn’t have to pay for an extra medical and I gained 18 months on the original D4

The reason I failed my eye test at the surgery was bright sunshine through the skylight, but as the doctor said, that could be an open sunroof or windscreen in a lorry.